IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Weekend project - painted calipers and flat bottom steering wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15 | 07:56 AM
kevintari
Driver

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
Just so you guys know, this steering wheel is off the eBay seller and not DCTM. Much nicer in my own opinion, I was the first get one so I know.

Yours looks awesome...but I contacted her and she quoted me $1299 without controls or paddles. Yikes. DCTM was about half that- so we'll see. I really do love yours though, I'm just too cheap to plunk down that kind of money!
Old 02-03-15 | 08:46 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kevintari
Yours looks awesome...but I contacted her and she quoted me $1299 without controls or paddles. Yikes. DCTM was about half that- so we'll see. I really do love yours though, I'm just too cheap to plunk down that kind of money!
Lol 1175 was what she told me if you go directly and mention my name. DTCM price for top and bottom carbon is almost 1100 on sale, and you will have to provide your own F logo or pay 200 more for one
Old 02-03-15 | 09:16 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SuprFleaJQ
Nice Did DCTMS give you an ETA on your wheel
Ordered it about 2 weeks ago, they promised it in 4, so 2 weeks left.

Lou
Old 02-03-15 | 09:40 AM
SuprFleaJQ
Driver

Originally Posted by Sean
Looks great. This is something I wouldn't mind doing eventually. Originally I wasn't sure if matching texalium or normal carbon fiber would look better. After seeing this I'm definitely leaning more towards normal CF now. Adding even more of the silver stuff seems to be over doing it.
Personally, this is exactly how I felt about getting a wheel with white CF / the texalium look... that it would be too much "silver stuff." So that's why I went with the normal CF and think it looks perfect. But that's just me
Old 02-03-15 | 09:41 AM
SuprFleaJQ
Driver

Lol 1175 was what she told me if you go directly and mention my name. DTCM price for top and bottom carbon is almost 1100 on sale, and you will have to provide your own F logo or pay 200 more for one
Yep, I mentioned your name and she gave me $1350 WITH the paddles... although, like you (sorry I keep copying you, lol!), I decided to not use the CF paddles and am using the stock ISF paddles instead
Old 02-03-15 | 09:52 AM
kevintari
Driver

Yep, I mentioned your name and she gave me $1350 WITH the paddles... although, like you (sorry I keep copying you, lol!), I decided to not use the CF paddles and am using the stock ISF paddles instead
Jeez, I have to start throwing your name around more!
Old 02-03-15 | 10:36 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Just so you guys know, this steering wheel is off the eBay seller and not DCTM. Much nicer in my own opinion, I was the first get one so I know.
MK4, since you have experience with both the wheels, is the eBay one thicker than the DCTM one?

My only gripe with the DCTM one was it was just not that much thicker than the stock IS350 wheel.

I want a MEATY wheel, I had a BMW MTECH upgraded wheel for my 335i and that thing was ****!
Old 02-03-15 | 10:46 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
My only gripe with the DCTM one was it was just not that much thicker than the stock IS350 wheel.

I want a MEATY wheel, I had a BMW MTECH upgraded wheel for my 335i and that thing was ****!

I ordered my wheel from DCTMS by eMail, and have eMail correspondence going back and forth. When they accepted my order, a sentence in the eMail from Ivan read:

we will make the wheel thick and nice for you
I believe what he said. I'll post results in a new thread when it arrives.

Lou
Old 02-03-15 | 10:57 AM
SuprFleaJQ
Driver

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
MK4, since you have experience with both the wheels, is the eBay one thicker than the DCTM one?

My wife had actually ordered a DCTM wheel for me as a surprise, and she didn't know that I had ordered the eBay one... so I was able to directly compare both. Both are quality products, though I still preferred the eBay wheel for various reasons (even if the price was more than the all leather DCTM option I was looking at).

To answer your question - the eBay wheel IS thicker than the DCTM wheel by a decent amount. So if you're looking for MEATY... then the eBay wheel fits the bill. You can probably also request extra thickness from DCTM if they're willing to do that for you.

Last edited by SuprFleaJQ; 02-03-15 at 05:08 PM. Reason: I said double too many times, and didn't compare apples to apples :)
Old 02-03-15 | 11:50 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I ordered my wheel from DCTMS by eMail, and have eMail correspondence going back and forth. When they accepted my order, a sentence in the eMail from Ivan read:

Lou
Wow Lou, if they actually make them thicker now upon request, I might have to get another one. I loved the wheel quality when I had it, especially the comfort and place to rest your thumbs in the 8-4 position.

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 02-03-15 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-03-15 | 12:27 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Haha I'm okay with that, even if you have the cooler version 2 too! Just kidding, I like mine just as much.
Originally Posted by kevintari
Jeez, I have to start throwing your name around more!
Haha this is her email/paypal if you want to contact her directly
leather.seats888@gmail.com
My wife had actually ordered a DCTM wheel for me as a surprise, and she didn't know that I had ordered the eBay one... so I was able to directly compare both. Both are quality products, though I still preferred the eBay wheel for various reasons (even if the price was double).

To answer your question - the eBay wheel IS thicker than the DCTM wheel by a decent amount. So if you're looking for MEATY and willing to pay double... then the eBay wheel fits the bill. You can probably also request extra thickness from DCTM if they're willing to do that for you.
Yep, quality is really there. Plus the leather grip design of the eBay one is much more to my liking.

Also, stop saying that the price is DOUBLE! LOL. DCTM full top and bottom carbon is 1199 regular price, on sale for about 1050 sometimes. That is WITHOUT the F logo. You must provide your own logo to DCTM or pay 200 more on top. That's not such a deal after all. After I sold my carbon shifter to another member for 300, I ended up paying the same for a better design/quality one
Old 02-03-15 | 03:07 PM
kevintari
Driver

Originally Posted by lowrideraz

Lou

I asked him about it too before I ordered- he told me their wheel would be a little thicker than the OEM F wheel...we shall see.

And on the price, to be fair this one is carbon top only and no F emblem- but I'm OK with that, I know not everyone would be.

Will post a review and pics when it's here and when it's installed...
Old 02-03-15 | 05:12 PM
SuprFleaJQ
Driver

Also, stop saying that the price is DOUBLE! LOL. DCTM full top and bottom carbon is 1199 regular price, on sale for about 1050 sometimes. That is WITHOUT the F logo. You must provide your own logo to DCTM or pay 200 more on top. That's not such a deal after all. After I sold my carbon shifter to another member for 300, I ended up paying the same for a better design/quality one
LOL, Fair enough, I edited my post to reflect what I was comparing to
Old 02-04-15 | 06:53 AM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Just wanted to add a couple of things to the discussion:

The Ebay wheel I got from that same seller shipped from Texas. I also agreed to send back my stock wheel to get a $250 credit. What I wasn't aware of at the time is that I had to send the stock wheel to Australia instead of texas (so shipping was not cheap).

Also - not sure if anyone else noticed this or if this is just on my car - when I turn the wheel lock-to-lock, the flat bottom part of the wheel does not have the same axis alignment with respect to which way you are turning it.
For instance - turn all the way to right, flat bottom aligned almost parallel like: -----
turn all the way to left, flat bottom aligned not parallel but slightly tilted: \ (although obviously not that steep)
Thought maybe I was a tooth off on the steering hub, but the wheel is still centered while driving. Not a big deal just something I noticed.
Old 02-04-15 | 09:58 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by STLblueF
Just wanted to add a couple of things to the discussion:

The Ebay wheel I got from that same seller shipped from Texas. I also agreed to send back my stock wheel to get a $250 credit. What I wasn't aware of at the time is that I had to send the stock wheel to Australia instead of texas (so shipping was not cheap).

Also - not sure if anyone else noticed this or if this is just on my car - when I turn the wheel lock-to-lock, the flat bottom part of the wheel does not have the same axis alignment with respect to which way you are turning it.
For instance - turn all the way to right, flat bottom aligned almost parallel like: -----
turn all the way to left, flat bottom aligned not parallel but slightly tilted: \ (although obviously not that steep)
Thought maybe I was a tooth off on the steering hub, but the wheel is still centered while driving. Not a big deal just something I noticed.
This will vary from car to car. It all depends on exactly where the rack ends up in the alignment process. It has nothing to do with the wheel if it is properly centered when it is installed.

Quick Reply: Weekend project - painted calipers and flat bottom steering wheel!