IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tranny fluid change....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-19, 08:23 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Call me crazy but I change like 4 quarts of it just today. Tranmission actually does feel smooth and I don't cold flare anymore. That's my experience.
Old 10-25-19, 11:30 AM
Lunatrix
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i just got my F Serviced today by a local transmission shop, feels SOOOOO much better.
Old 10-26-19, 11:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,968 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFastF
Call me crazy but I change like 4 quarts of it just today. Tranmission actually does feel smooth and I don't cold flare anymore. That's my experience.
Originally Posted by Lunatrix
i just got my F Serviced today by a local transmission shop, feels SOOOOO much better.
The only difference is the level is now correct. Changing the fluid itself changes nothing in the way the gearbox works. I have serviced my transmission and experienced a huge improvement when I set the level right. When I changed the filter and replaced 5.5 quarts of fluid after starting with the level set correctly absolutely nothing changed about how the transmission worked.
Old 10-27-19, 09:10 AM
Lunatrix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The only difference is the level is now correct. Changing the fluid itself changes nothing in the way the gearbox works. I have serviced my transmission and experienced a huge improvement when I set the level right. When I changed the filter and replaced 5.5 quarts of fluid after starting with the level set correctly absolutely nothing changed about how the transmission worked.

After having my car* back fro a few days now, im noticing it still does flare. but not as much. there is a 100% Clear improvement since i did my service. but it still does flare. do you think this could be the cause of the level still not being set right, or do you think there can be some internal damage? the transmission shop i took it too has been around for 30+ years, nice facility and the owner was really knowledgeable and didnt seem sketchy at all. my dad used him years ago for a rebuilt trans on a work truck of his.

just not sure what to do here. if the damage is permanent ill drive it until its ACTUALLY giving me real problems and deal with it then but id rather not do that. does it on cold starts and easy driving even when its warmed up. Any suggestions lobux? thanks bud.

i just bought the car a month ago, has about 95k on the odo
Old 10-27-19, 11:00 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Slow/weird shifts are normal for the ISF when the transmission is cold. Many people experience this, including myself. I do maintenance on the transmission myself so I've made sure the level is always correct

When the car is warmed up, this should go away

The ISF isnt known for having transmission problems/issues
Old 10-27-19, 11:03 AM
Lunatrix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlckGhst
Slow/weird shifts are normal for the ISF when the transmission is cold. Many people experience this, including myself. I do maintenance on the transmission myself so I've made sure the level is always correct

When the car is warmed up, this should go away

The ISF isnt known for having transmission problems/issues

yeah i think im going to make a post asking if theres any other F owners in my general area that would be willing to give me a ride in theirs so i can feel it because im not sure whats supposed to feel right and wrong at this point. im just going off of videos really.

edit i should say that before i got my service it was really wonky when giving it gas, but now when im actually giving it throttle it shifts quick and smooth.

my area of concern is low speeds with normal driving throttle, even in snow mode (i like the throw in the pedal for normal driving on snow mode)
Old 10-27-19, 06:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,968 Likes on 2,402 Posts

I'd pour another 4 ounces in and see if it helps. I typically do this to avoid having to top off again in short order.
Old 10-29-19, 07:20 AM
shu5892001
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Does anyone know if it's better to do a complete flush using a different fluid like the Amsoil Signature ATL or is it better to do a drain and fill using Toyota WS? My car has about 38k miles currently and I am thinking to do a full fluid swap for the transmission and diff.

I use to swore by Amsoil fluid but the ATL is advertised as a fluid that satisfy many standards on top of Toyota WS, I am not sure if it's a good thing to have a "one fit all fluid"

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-19, 04:52 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

There are many people who use aftermarket ATF with no issues

As for me, I prefer to stick with Toyota WS in the ISF
Old 10-30-19, 01:29 AM
JETMIKE007
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shu5892001
Does anyone know if it's better to do a complete flush using a different fluid like the Amsoil Signature ATL or is it better to do a drain and fill using Toyota WS? My car has about 38k miles currently and I am thinking to do a full fluid swap for the transmission and diff.

I use to swore by Amsoil fluid but the ATL is advertised as a fluid that satisfy many standards on top of Toyota WS, I am not sure if it's a good thing to have a "one fit all fluid"

Thanks in advance.
Please dont use Amsoil in your car, that crap almost burnt up my transmission, stick with the recommended Toyota WS fluid.

The Amsoil fluid feels more slippery compared to the Toyota fluid and I suspect it was causing my transmission to slip at high power settings. This was on my 2008 is350.

Long story short after about 8 fluid flushies, stopped at a light on the off ramp and all I could smell was transmission fluid through the car vents blowing. Got home, jacked up the car and the full plug plastic cover was melted to the side of the transmission, a big sign of overheating.

Changed back to toyota fluid and haven't had any issues. I highly doubt that fluid is made for our cars even though its a WS fluid. There's no other explanation on why my transmission overheated.

Stay with toyota WS fluid or your be sorry.

I only use their signature series oil and that's it.

Hope this helps
Old 10-30-19, 01:39 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JETMIKE007
Please dont use Amsoil in your car, that crap almost burnt up my transmission, stick with the recommended Toyota WS fluid.

The Amsoil fluid feels more slippery compared to the Toyota fluid and I suspect it was causing my transmission to slip at high power settings. This was on my 2008 is350.

Long story short after about 8 fluid flushies, stopped at a light on the off ramp and all I could smell was transmission fluid through the car vents blowing. Got home, jacked up the car and the full plug plastic cover was melted to the side of the transmission, a big sign of overheating.

Changed back to toyota fluid and haven't had any issues. I highly doubt that fluid is made for our cars even though its a WS fluid. There's no other explanation on why my transmission overheated.

Stay with toyota WS fluid or your be sorry.

I only use their signature series oil and that's it.

Hope this helps

That's BS. My friends using Amsoil right now and he has no issues despite him tracking his car. I dont have issues with Redline D6. As long as the fluid is WS compatible you are okay.

Also if you did a "flush" vs drain and fill. That is where your problem was. The flush caused the material in the clutches to be wiped clean causing slippage. Also did you make sure you had the levels set correctly?
Old 10-30-19, 11:10 AM
JETMIKE007
Rookie

That's BS. My friends using Amsoil right now and he has no issues despite him tracking his car. I dont have issues with Redline D6. As long as the fluid is WS compatible you are okay.

Also if you did a "flush" vs drain and fill. That is where your problem was. The flush caused the material in the clutches to be wiped clean causing slippage. Also did you make sure you had the levels set correctly?
WOW, you're really quick in troubleshooting problems! The flush and the washing of the clutch packs was the problem for sure! Thanks man!!!

So please explain why my transmission temperatures are lower now compared to when I had the Amsoil in it? The clutch packs are extra clean now after flushing again with the Toyota fluid?

Doing this fliud change is just as easy as an oil change, it's not rocket science. I dont know why people are so scared of it?

Yes, the car was level on both longitudinal and lateral axis!

No, it was not a flush, drain and filled!

Yes, fluid was measured after draining for a comparison, but not a required task for a fluid level check!

Yes, transmission fluid temperature was correct at 104 to 106 degrees Fahrenheit during the level check!

Anyways, what do I know! I've only been a certified technician for over 23 years??? Must be BS!!!

Old 10-30-19, 11:26 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JETMIKE007
WOW, you're really quick in troubleshooting problems! The flush and the washing of the clutch packs was the problem for sure! Thanks man!!!

So please explain why my transmission temperatures are lower now compared to when I had the Amsoil in it? The clutch packs are extra clean now after flushing again with the Toyota fluid?

Doing this fliud change is just as easy as an oil change, it's not rocket science. I dont know why people are so scared of it?

Yes, the car was level on both longitudinal and lateral axis!

No, it was not a flush, drain and filled!

Yes, fluid was measured after draining for a comparison, but not a required task for a fluid level check!

Yes, transmission fluid temperature was correct at 104 to 106 degrees Fahrenheit during the level check!

Anyways, what do I know! I've only been a certified technician for over 23 years??? Must be BS!!!
Did not mean to offend your 23 years in the business. But a WS compatible fluid HAS TO be compatible. It wouldn't make sense for it to cause that issue in your IS. Did you talk to AMSOIL about this? Because there's possible ways although minor that the fluid itself could've been defective. From my perspective... I haven't seen issues with the use of Redline D6, AMSOIL. But how would I know better... I am not in the automotive industry. (I'm a driveway mechanic... that enjoys driving).
Old 10-30-19, 12:30 PM
JETMIKE007
Rookie

Did not mean to offend your 23 years in the business. But a WS compatible fluid HAS TO be compatible. It wouldn't make sense for it to cause that issue in your IS. Did you talk to AMSOIL about this? Because there's possible ways although minor that the fluid itself could've been defective. From my perspective... I haven't seen issues with the use of Redline D6, AMSOIL. But how would I know better... I am not in the automotive industry. (I'm a driveway mechanic... that enjoys driving).
That's ok!

I did about 8 to 10 fluid refills, 3 liters at a time within a month as my fluid was quite dark. By the time I smelt transmission fluid from in my car and the malted fill cover, it was to late to send a sample to Amsoil as I already dumped the used fluid....

Like i said, the Amsoil fluid was really oily compared to Toyota WS. That was the first thing I noticed right away.

Because of this, I won't trust any other fluids in my tranny then what's recommended by the manufacturer. This also goes for my LSD in my F. I'm using Amsoil sevear gear on my 350 with no issues.

If you guys want to use Amsoil, go for it. You might have better luck then me. Maybe I had a bad batch, who knows......

Old 10-30-19, 03:56 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

I'm running the Amsoil in my tranny with zero issues after a full fluid exchange. Had it done at the dealership by a Master Tech that I've used in the past for my valley plate leak and other fluid flushes. My experience has been positive with the transmission shifting smooth as butter after the exchange with about 105k on the OEM WS fluid that got replaced.

Last edited by MileHIFcar; 10-30-19 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid change....