Tranny fluid change....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-20, 10:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericspyder
I'll try that Technic. Thanks.
Look at post #52 in this thread. There are two pins you short in the DLC and then just move the shifter as described and you're in the temperature sensing mode. No tools necessary. Just be sure to start with the car cold - overnight cold - because there's no way it will cool from normal operating temperature in any reasonable time other than overnight.
The following users liked this post:
Positron (04-01-20)
Old 04-01-20, 09:39 AM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AlOtaBblGm
I'm not sure if the F has an external fluid cooler but if it does, that is where to change it, provided I can refill it. You can pump put the trans from the cooler return, wait for it to sputter. Measure how much came out, refill that exact amount and repeat. Soon the fluid coming out is new and you are done. Very little shock to the system and gets the converter, valve body, everything. Again though, not sure this will work on the F.

I've attached the procedure for fluid replacement from AllDataDIY
i wouldn't do that. You run the risk of running the pump dry and damaging it. Drain and remove the pan, and replace the strainer/filter first. This way you'll know how much fluid is in the pan. Refill with the amount you removed and add an extra quart. Then pump out the pan capacity amount. rinse and repeat until you get new fluid coming out. I did my service via 2 drain and fills at 500 mile intervals but my fluid wasn't very dirty. I may do another drain and fill at the next oil change because i have some fluid left over and i might as well use it. The pumping method is probably more effective but I didn't see it documented anywhere for this car so i went with the drain and fill method.

Keep in mind that some Toyota transmissions have a thermostat that you will need to bypass in order to allow the new fluid to circulate in the transmission. Both my LX570 and GX460 have this, although that's not the same transmission. Not sure if this 8 speed has it also. Something you'd want to investigate. Nonetheless, do not run the transmission pan dry. Better to overfill slightly and when you're done changing out all the fluid, adjust the level using the factory procedure before driving the car.
Old 04-02-20, 10:00 AM
Ericspyder
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you so much for the advices.
Old 02-23-23, 07:34 PM
LGordon
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default That “ special Toyota pump” …

Originally Posted by Turbogoat3
They are sealed and require a specific "pump" from Toyota to refil the trans. In order to properly refill the transmission you would need a way to monitor the trans fluid as it requires the fluid to be a certain temperature before the level can be accurately checked.
My man not even close to true . The special Toyota pump is a 10$ on Amazon . It’s a hand pump it’s impossible to mess up . You stick one tube into the bottle the other to transmission fill and …pump in the fluid recommended in owner manual. Don’t call the dealers for advice they’re salesmen. Of course they have the tools …so don’t you if you buy them . You can do your transmission and diff for less than 250$ DIY . That’s including jack stands . Get your paws dirty you aren’t gonna break . You buy the tools once . A salesman doesn’t work on cars, he only works on people who come in asking to be robbed. They don’t know the specs for a car against the specs they wear

The following users liked this post:
inovashn (02-24-23)
Old 02-24-23, 11:14 AM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

I can find it fine but links would be great for others @LGordon