IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model
View Poll Results: Which wheels look best on my '08 SGM ISF?
2.00%
8.00%
8.00%
18.00%
0%
2.00%
10.00%
18.00%
14.00%
20.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

New Wheels Poll - LOTS OF PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 09:54 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the input and feedback from everyone, I have made a purchase! Looks like this time my taste did align with what most people like because my top 3 choices were confirmed by the voting.

My personal favorite was #8 (Forgestar CF5V) because of the way the look, the ability to get the exact offsets and finish that I want, plus they are lightweight (22.7lb F/23.7lb R), forged, and only $1,600 for the set! But I contacted several vendors and they all told me it can take anywhere from 1-3 months to get, and I don't want to leave my car on jack stands in my driveway for that long. If this were a purchase I was making to upgrade from stock and didn't mind waiting, these are definitely the wheels I'd go with. Best looks, options, quality and performance for the $$ IMHO.

My second favorite was #10 (WedsSport SA67-R), which is a nice lightweight wheel (21.3lb F/22.4Lb R), and while they're not forged they come from a very reputable Japanese manufacturer. The gunmetal finish looks great with SGM and the blue strip along the inside goes great with the F color scheme (and matches my blue calipers). Only problem is that I found out they were discontinued a while back and nobody has any in stock anymore.

My third choice was #4 (Ace Mesh 7), which looks great but they're nothing exciting in terms of build quality or performance since they are cast wheels which are a little heavier (25lb F/27lb R) than the stock 08-09 wheels. But I really like the style, the color matches up to my SGM very well, and they are cheap ($1,200 for a set).

So which ones did I get? Well, I found someone who had a set of SA67R's listed in the classifieds, which I had originally dismissed because they looked dirty & scratched up. But upon looking at the pics closer and talking with the owner I decided they were going to work, especially since I won't see the curb marks since they're on the passenger side. They just seemed like a better option than going with a heavier, lower quality wheel just to save a few hundred bucks. So they're on the way and should have them by Friday, and will post pics once they're installed!

Old 03-25-15, 10:41 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI, Forgedstar CF5V are not Forged. They are flow formed from a casted wheel. That's why they are called flow formed forged. Misleading to many people who think that they are actual forged blanks and got CNC machined. it only mimicking the metal consistency of real forged wheels
Old 03-25-15, 11:10 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jleonard71
Thanks for all the input and feedback from everyone, I have made a purchase! Looks like this time my taste did align with what most people like because my top 3 choices were confirmed by the voting.

My personal favorite was #8 (Forgestar CF5V) because of the way the look, the ability to get the exact offsets and finish that I want, plus they are lightweight (22.7lb F/23.7lb R), forged, and only $1,600 for the set! But I contacted several vendors and they all told me it can take anywhere from 1-3 months to get, and I don't want to leave my car on jack stands in my driveway for that long. If this were a purchase I was making to upgrade from stock and didn't mind waiting, these are definitely the wheels I'd go with. Best looks, options, quality and performance for the $$ IMHO.

My second favorite was #10 (WedsSport SA67-R), which is a nice lightweight wheel (21.3lb F/22.4Lb R), and while they're not forged they come from a very reputable Japanese manufacturer. The gunmetal finish looks great with SGM and the blue strip along the inside goes great with the F color scheme (and matches my blue calipers). Only problem is that I found out they were discontinued a while back and nobody has any in stock anymore.

My third choice was #4 (Ace Mesh 7), which looks great but they're nothing exciting in terms of build quality or performance since they are cast wheels which are a little heavier (25lb F/27lb R) than the stock 08-09 wheels. But I really like the style, the color matches up to my SGM very well, and they are cheap ($1,200 for a set).

So which ones did I get? Well, I found someone who had a set of SA67R's listed in the classifieds, which I had originally dismissed because they looked dirty & scratched up. But upon looking at the pics closer and talking with the owner I decided they were going to work, especially since I won't see the curb marks since they're on the passenger side. They just seemed like a better option than going with a heavier, lower quality wheel just to save a few hundred bucks. So they're on the way and should have them by Friday, and will post pics once they're installed!

Happy to have helped!

Mine is an 08 in SGM with the gunmetal SA67R's.

Absolutely love them.

Damage didn't look that bad to me, but hopefully you got a good price on them? They really are surprisingly light! I brought my set home as checked luggage on a flight from Tampa! Lol.

Great choice.
Old 03-25-15, 11:13 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Here's a thread with some photos of mine:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f/773761-installed-wedsport-sa67r-s-and-mpss-tires.html
Old 03-25-15, 11:28 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PDP180180
Here's a thread with some photos of mine:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f/773761-installed-wedsport-sa67r-s-and-mpss-tires.html
I saw that thread when I was doing my research, they definitely look awesome with SGM! Are those Michelin PSS tires? I was hoping to run 255/35 & 295/30, and I know the 295's fit fine with my previous 19x10 +50 setup. But these are +42mm so they will stick out 8mm more. Since you have 275's on yours, do you think there would be an additional 8-10mm of room in the rear without rubbing? I guess I could always roll the fenders if necessary.

P.S. I love the look from the *** end, the Tom's diffuser is the next mod on my list.
Old 03-25-15, 11:43 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Thanks.

It's pretty tight with the MPSS 275's out back. I may even need to roll my fenders if I drop the car with coilovers.

You'd 100% need to roll them If you go for anything wider.

Do love my Arkym difuser.

Look forward to seeing your car off the axle stands soon!
Old 03-25-15, 12:03 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PDP180180
Thanks.

It's pretty tight with the MPSS 275's out back. I may even need to roll my fenders if I drop the car with coilovers.

You'd 100% need to roll them If you go for anything wider.

Do love my Arkym difuser.

Look forward to seeing your car off the axle stands soon!
Me too. I actually went out and washed her the other day because she was covered in dust and there were literally cobwebs inside the wheel wells.
Old 04-03-15, 02:28 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Got the wheels last Friday, spent a few hours over the weekend cleaning them up because they were CAKED in brake dust, and after a bottle of wheel cleaner and a good waxing they turned out looking almost as good new. Then on Tuesday the tires, lug nuts & hubcentric rings all came in, got the tires mounted yesterday, and now she's back on the road! Well, sort of. My 295's definitely rub in the rear when going over even small bumps or dips at 35mph+, so I'm not going to drive it at all until Saturday when I'm getting my fenders rolled. Hopefully that will do the trick, otherwise I'll have to swap out the rears for 285's.

Anyways, without further ado here she is!

Last edited by jleonard71; 04-03-15 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-03-15, 05:05 AM
CSTU93
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks SOOO good!!!
Old 04-03-15, 08:59 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Looks good and I hope the fender rolling works out for you. Also snap some angled and rear shots when you get a chance. I want to see exactly now the 295/30 PSS look on the 10" wheel. My CF5Vs are +45 and I'm curious if going up to that size PSS is worth considering.
Old 04-03-15, 08:40 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sean
Looks good and I hope the fender rolling works out for you. Also snap some angled and rear shots when you get a chance. I want to see exactly now the 295/30 PSS look on the 10" wheel. My CF5Vs are +45 and I'm curious if going up to that size PSS is worth considering.
When I was shopping for tires I checked the section width & tread width of the Evo2's compared to the PSS, and while the section width (overall width from sidewall to sidewall) is nearly identical (11.8" vs 11.9") the tread on the PSS is MUCH wider at 11.5" vs 10.5". That's because the PSS has squared shoulders so it isn't as rounded at the edges, and the shoulder is exactly where the tires rub. In the 295 size the tread of the PSS would be 0.5" wider on the outer edge (12.7mm), and with only 3mm more offset that means the tread of the PSS would stick out 9.7mm more. I'm rubbing pretty bad before fender rolling, and by my measurements I'll gain about 0.40-.45" (10-11mm) by rolling the fenders. So in a nutshell, your clearance with rolled fenders and PSS 295's would be about the same as my current setup with Evo2's without rolled fenders - and there's no way I'd ever drive around like this because it's pretty bad.

With your wheel size & offset and using the PSS tires, I would recommend going with 275's (they don't make them in 285) unless you have adjustable camber arms and wanted to run quite a bit of negative camber. Or in any other tire you'd need to stay under about 10.62" tread width to have the same clearance as me (which is my 10.5" tread width + 3mm).

Last edited by jleonard71; 04-03-15 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 11:44 PM
FMYLIFE
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will you please take before and after shots of the fender roll from multiple angles?

I'm considering rolling my fenders and I'm curious how it looks aesthetically, as well as what the inside of the fender looks like after rolling.
Old 04-04-15, 12:35 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the offset on the new wheels?
I ran 295 on my 10" wide wheels...I always thought it was too thick and never liked how they rode and cornered.
Old 04-04-15, 06:48 AM
YotaLex
Driver

Glad everything worked out for you! The car is looking sweet.. Sell me these rims when you sell your car and I'll send you my 08 stockers
Old 04-04-15, 08:42 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jleonard71
When I was shopping for tires I checked the section width & tread width of the Evo2's compared to the PSS, and while the section width (overall width from sidewall to sidewall) is nearly identical (11.8" vs 11.9") the tread on the PSS is MUCH wider at 11.5" vs 10.5". That's because the PSS has squared shoulders so it isn't as rounded at the edges, and the shoulder is exactly where the tires rub. In the 295 size the tread of the PSS would be 0.5" wider on the outer edge (12.7mm), and with only 3mm more offset that means the tread of the PSS would stick out 9.7mm more. I'm rubbing pretty bad before fender rolling, and by my measurements I'll gain about 0.40-.45" (10-11mm) by rolling the fenders. So in a nutshell, your clearance with rolled fenders and PSS 295's would be about the same as my current setup with Evo2's without rolled fenders - and there's no way I'd ever drive around like this because it's pretty bad.

With your wheel size & offset and using the PSS tires, I would recommend going with 275's (they don't make them in 285) unless you have adjustable camber arms and wanted to run quite a bit of negative camber. Or in any other tire you'd need to stay under about 10.62" tread width to have the same clearance as me (which is my 10.5" tread width + 3mm).
Yea, the 275/30 PSS is actually what I have. I must have misread one of your posts thinking you had PSS rather than the evo2s. I'm just pondering of my next set and never really considered 295 on 10" but since others have gone this route I'm at least curious how it looks and their opinion of how it rides vs a thinner tire.

Quick Reply: New Wheels Poll - LOTS OF PICS!