IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Swift Springs with HR 15mm spacers

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 10:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Only a fool would use a hammer to remove studs. If you do this, plan on buying new hubs soon. The ***** in the bearings will get dented when you hammer on the hub face, and they will die fairly quickly. It's a lot like slamming a wheel into a curb, just with a greater impact level because you are hammering directly on the wheel bearing.

Studs should always be pressed out, never hammered out.

Spacers used for appearance - i.e. to change the looks with a set of wheel with the correct offset - will also shorten wheel bearing life by changing the loading on the wheel bearing. They also change scrub radius, roll center, instant center, and whole host of other details the suspension engineers sweated out when they designed the chassis. If your goal is visual performance and mechanical performance be damned, stuff spacers between your stock wheels and hubs. If you want the car to turn, brake, and accelerate as intended by the factory, only use spacers to correct improper offsets with aftermarket wheels.

JMHO.
Old 04-23-15, 12:08 PM
krue92
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who said anything about banging on the hub face? I just put a lug nut on the stud and tap it a couple of times with the hammer and it pops right out. Am I missing something?
Old 04-23-15, 12:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by krue92
Who said anything about banging on the hub face? I just put a lug nut on the stud and tap it a couple of times with the hammer and it pops right out. Am I missing something?
The stud is mechanically connected to the hub face. Banging on the stud is no different than banging on the hub face.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...heel-stud.html

See the last post, and also see the $20 tool you can buy to do it right without damaging anything.
Old 04-23-15, 06:01 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Only a fool would use a hammer to remove studs. If you do this, plan on buying new hubs soon. The ***** in the bearings will get dented when you hammer on the hub face, and they will die fairly quickly. It's a lot like slamming a wheel into a curb, just with a greater impact level because you are hammering directly on the wheel bearing.

Studs should always be pressed out, never hammered out.

Spacers used for appearance - i.e. to change the looks with a set of wheel with the correct offset - will also shorten wheel bearing life by changing the loading on the wheel bearing. They also change scrub radius, roll center, instant center, and whole host of other details the suspension engineers sweated out when they designed the chassis. If your goal is visual performance and mechanical performance be damned, stuff spacers between your stock wheels and hubs. If you want the car to turn, brake, and accelerate as intended by the factory, only use spacers to correct improper offsets with aftermarket wheels.

JMHO.
You know they ain't ***** right?
Old 04-23-15, 11:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by LexyISF
You know they ain't ***** right?
Yes they are. What makes you think they're Timkens? I know for a fact they are double row angular contact *****. Nice try though.
Attached Thumbnails Swift Springs with HR 15mm spacers-front-hub.png   Swift Springs with HR 15mm spacers-rear-hub.png  

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-23-15 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 08:03 AM
krue92
Driver

I agree using the tool is probably the right way. I really never knew a tool even existed. I've been using the hammer trick on all my vehicles and never had an issue with the hub or wheel bearing going bad and some of those were over 100k miles after doing it.
Old 04-24-15, 09:42 AM
KSLAM
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've done arp extended studs with spacers as well as adapter spacers and both never gave me any problems or became loose on me. As long as they are all tourqed down properly with an impact 3/8 or 1/2". But idk how it'll hold up at 170mph or drifting constantly
Old 04-24-15, 10:39 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KSLAM
I've done arp extended studs with spacers as well as adapter spacers and both never gave me any problems or became loose on me. As long as they are all tourqed down properly with an impact 3/8 or 1/2". But idk how it'll hold up at 170mph or drifting constantly
Agreed. Some people on this board are so fearful of spacers. If spacers were so unsafe you would be seeing catastrophic failures all over the place. And all the nay-sayers always point to that one example of a failure(which I wouldn't trust he didn't torque them down properly). Spacers are used through out the industry. Porsche has also installed spacers(both extended studs w/ spacer and adapter spacers) from the factory on some of their vehicles. Forgot which race EVO from Japan, but they are using a 50mm spacer on the track with +600awhp.
I agree with lobuxracer that spacers should be used to correct wheel offset. But people rarely follow that rule on this board and others. Theoretically you will get shortened wheel bearing life...and I believe you cannot just replace the bearings on our ISFs, you have to replace the entire hub.
Old 04-24-15, 06:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
...and I believe you cannot just replace the bearings on our ISFs, you have to replace the entire hub.
Bingo. $20 tool to do it right vs. replacing a hub. Hubs are expensive. The tool is cheap. The factory service manual specifically calls out using the tool. Too bad so many shade tree mechanics fail to read the service manuals. I learned the importance of good documentation while servicing aircraft in the Air Force. It's all the more important when you actually fly on the airframes you fix, unless you are suicidal.

I don't fear spacers at all. i just see people changing the offset without understanding the full impact of fashion modifications. The engineers sweated a whole bunch of details when they built the suspension. Arbitrarily changing it without considering the impact because you don't like the way it looks has a price.

There was a lowering mod - spacers underneath the front lower control arm - that makes the car look great, but everyone concerned about mechanical performance who tried it was unhappy with what it did to the handling.

I have maintained for a very long time, there are visual performance mods and mechanical performance mods. To get both at the same time takes a whole lot of homework, and the aftermarket sources recommending mods for visual performance don't do the necessary homework to make sure mechanical performance is not degraded. I see it all the time here, and a lot moreso than other boards I frequent.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-24-15 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-04-15, 08:01 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

To those who have installed spacers themselves, do I need to remove the brake pads before removing the brake caliper? I have never swapped brake pads before..(although it looks pretty easy to do) trying to avoid the step if possible.
Old 05-04-15, 08:03 AM
krue92
Driver

No you can remove the brake caliper and it will come off with the brake pads. Removing the brake pads is pretty simple on these cars though.
Old 05-04-15, 09:22 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

Great. Thanks.
Old 05-04-15, 12:33 PM
KSLAM
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone have any more pictures of the isf on swift springs and spacers?
Old 05-06-15, 05:54 AM
xianxian
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a DIY... lol
Old 05-06-15, 06:18 AM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go:
Swift Springs
H&R Spacers: 15mm Front, 20mm Rear