IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First Drive Figs-Penske Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 05:53 AM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the ELSD. The car is still great on track, the main difference is that it's not as effective at putting down the power getting out of the corner. I didn't cook my rear brakes at all in sport, but I am sure I wasn't pushing as hard as Lance normally does. I find it is hard to tell that it's working other than the shimmy. Certainly doesn't feel the same as a car with a true mechanical diff.

I need to test out new parts too. I've changed the suspension up since I was last out.
Old 06-03-15, 05:55 AM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suprasupra
I would be up for a track day anytime , let me know if you plan a day . I am not modified just a stock 12 so I will give you guys the point by !
Larry
Between my oem (read crappy, narrow) tires that I've been saving for the next event and my ELSD, you should be able to keep up just fine. Driver skill really makes much more of a difference. It's just fun to get out there.
Old 06-03-15, 10:27 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by torxuvin
I have the ELSD. The car is still great on track, the main difference is that it's not as effective at putting down the power getting out of the corner. I didn't cook my rear brakes at all in sport, but I am sure I wasn't pushing as hard as Lance normally does. I find it is hard to tell that it's working other than the shimmy. Certainly doesn't feel the same as a car with a true mechanical diff.

I need to test out new parts too. I've changed the suspension up since I was last out.
Well that's good to know, I figured it would still be a good track car for the most part. It seems the tire width could help with some of the out of corner traction or even a less rigid rear sway bar.
Old 06-05-15, 06:39 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default First Drive Figs-Penske Coilovers

Toe links and front bushings went in yesterday. Had a slight hiccup with the mega arms but that is getting resolved shortly. Wow, what a difference the bushings make. The steering feels more responsive and under regular, medium, and most importantly threshold braking, there is 0, ZERO, steering wheel float/jiggle/shake. My factory bushings looked to be in perfect condition and the difference between the two is still night and day. The car feels significantly more stable coming down from high speed. Another highly recommended figs offering!!
Old 06-05-15, 11:22 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Fathers day is coming up and Im trying to decide on a full pro detail or the bushings.
Old 06-05-15, 12:24 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Fathers day is coming up and Im trying to decide on a full pro detail or the bushings.
Bushings FTW!
Old 06-07-15, 05:05 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I can confirm, these coilovers feel amazing. Thanks for the ride Zach.
Old 06-08-15, 09:33 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

heading to Thompson speedway to get some track use out of these. First time up with them, Im going to up the stiffness just a bit and see how it goes. Im expecting to be impressed just after street use.
Old 06-08-15, 01:09 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by darbs242
heading to Thompson speedway to get some track use out of these. First time up with them, Im going to up the stiffness just a bit and see how it goes. Im expecting to be impressed just after street use.
I look forward to hearing your results! Have fun!
Old 06-12-15, 05:23 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

How did your track day go? Impressions and adjustments?
Old 06-12-15, 05:38 AM
darbs242
Racer

Originally Posted by ZaxF
How did your track day go? Impressions and adjustments?
They were great, I went from my daily driving set up which is -35 rebound and -12 compression to -5 rebound and -5 compression, car goes from being stand-able on the street to incredibly stiff and firm. Im sure it does but it doesnt feel like it sways much at all, boosts driving confidence at the limits of the isf 100%. Makes the car feel much lighter. I have never run at the track i was on or with these shocks but i think my lap times were seconds faster than they would have been on the stock suspension or my BC (which i now feel like were not worth a dollar)... Il be at poconos north track this coming Wednesday and will do an in depth review of my own on the shocks then. They really are great track shocks, the daily is rough even when they are set very very soft. I would like to try the KW3 and Ohlins to see if they keep up on the track with higher quality street ride.

I also smoked another set of XP12 carbotechs up front and just ordered XP20 for the next event. im getting 8-10 hours of track use out of fronts with xp12 and although they are good I feel there is better to be had. Carbotech rep told me i will go through rotors faster but the pads will hold up better and my braking zone is going to get shorter... we will see.

Last edited by darbs242; 06-12-15 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-13-15, 07:57 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

They were great, I went from my daily driving set up which is -35 rebound and -12 compression to -5 rebound and -5 compression, car goes from being stand-able on the street to incredibly stiff and firm. Im sure it does but it doesnt feel like it sways much at all, boosts driving confidence at the limits of the isf 100%. Makes the car feel much lighter. I have never run at the track i was on or with these shocks but i think my lap times were seconds faster than they would have been on the stock suspension or my BC (which i now feel like were not worth a dollar)... Il be at poconos north track this coming Wednesday and will do an in depth review of my own on the shocks then. They really are great track shocks, the daily is rough even when they are set very very soft. I would like to try the KW3 and Ohlins to see if they keep up on the track with higher quality street ride.

I also smoked another set of XP12 carbotechs up front and just ordered XP20 for the next event. im getting 8-10 hours of track use out of fronts with xp12 and although they are good I feel there is better to be had. Carbotech rep told me i will go through rotors faster but the pads will hold up better and my braking zone is going to get shorter... we will see.
Darbs, did you get to these settings progressively or did you shoot in the dark. I think these are pretty far overdamped as we have never had to move below 10 clicks out on compression and rebound should be midrange. Stiffer in not always better remember as it impacts response. Always take small adjustment steps, especially with these as the impact is substantial. The dual flow valving in these should allow for greater comfort if setup correctly. Only adjust compression to the point you want to reduce some suspension travel on extreme sections of the track, but not so much that it cannot adjust in time to keep the tires in contact with the road surface. Also, are you taking this approach both front and back or just on one end? We try to diversify the damping to cover more frequencies in surface input making the rear softer in general than the front.

FWIW we have been pretty happy with XP8 compound and our 2P rotors. No fade issues and very favorable wear.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 06-15-15, 08:51 AM
darbs242
Racer

I played with the setting a lot to find a soft daily drive i liked but did shoot in the dark for track settings. I do think i over dampened the compression and will try something more in the middle on Wednesday. Its not that im unhappy with the carbotech xp12. I just want to be able to stop even harder. I havent had any break fade issues either. Maybe your two piece rotors hold up much better than the OEM. For the price il keep buying oem at 275 a set vs the cost of two piece, I have a hard time believing they will out last 3 or 4 sets of factory disks. If you have found some track setting you would like to pass along id listen intently.
Old 06-15-15, 07:03 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

I played with the setting a lot to find a soft daily drive i liked but did shoot in the dark for track settings. I do think i over dampened the compression and will try something more in the middle on Wednesday. Its not that im unhappy with the carbotech xp12. I just want to be able to stop even harder. I havent had any break fade issues either. Maybe your two piece rotors hold up much better than the OEM. For the price il keep buying oem at 275 a set vs the cost of two piece, I have a hard time believing they will out last 3 or 4 sets of factory disks. If you have found some track setting you would like to pass along id listen intently.
It depends on how grippy the tires are and how much load they translate into the suspension. We test with rcomp 245's square, but generally if you are not hitting the fender liner back off compression. If the car feels like its skipping across tight track surface imperfections, remove rebound damping. If the car settles but is very abrupt, add rebound damping. There are no universal settings unfortunately that is why these adjustments exist and track conditions, driver and ride height all vary. The rule should be small adjustments though and weigh the feedback. Then decide which dial to turn.
I will say we have not had to go past 10 clicks off stiff with the rcomps so I would estimate you should only have to be around 13 off on compression front. stay in the middle in back unless you get rubbing.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions