IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Upgrading brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-15, 07:36 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been super happy with the performance of the Porterfield R4-S. I just ordered another set. Have used these pads at a track day and never failed on me once. They have incredible bite when they get heated up.
Old 06-10-15, 02:52 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,416 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by streetx
Have not heard of you guys, any more information on the 2 piece rotors?

This is a totally new product we just released and will formally introduce at the IS-F Mega Meet in Baltimore on Saturday. We design these rotors in house, and they are 100% made in the USA.

The specs are:

(1) 360mm x 32mm rotors (2mm thicker than stock), directionally curved cooling vanes. Rotors are supplied to us per our specification by Coleman Racing. These rotors are the same metallurgy and specs as the NASCAR Winston Cup race rotors they produce. Double heat treated and fully balanced. Rotors are also zinc/chromate plated for corrosion resistance.

(2) The rotor/hat assembly is fully floating in order to accommodate the differences in thermal expansion of the rotor vs. the hat. We use Inconel springs to eliminate rattling noises common in pure race floating rotor setups.

(3) Weight savings is about 6 lbs per rotor.

(4) Hats are coated with a Type III hard anodizing (most use a thinner type II anodize) for durability and subsequently impregnated with genuine Teflon for corrosion resistance. The Teflon coating/impregnation also improves lubricity at the hat/rotor interface allowing for improved accommodation of the thermal stresses during heat cycling.

(5) We have *thoroughly* tested these rotors at 5 track events prior to releasing using a variety of pads from street/race to high friction race pads. These rotors are extremely durable, offer excellent friction characteristics, and low wear rate.

I hope that answers your question, PM me if you have any questions on pricing.

thanks,

-Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 06-10-15, 06:03 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos
Interesting feedback Speed Freak thanks.

How would you rate the Project Mu NS400 pads compared to the Fredo DS2500 and the HP+ or Endless MX72?
NS400 is in a different category compared to the others mentioned so it's an apples to oranges comparison but I will try to point out the main differences. While all are technically "Street" pads there different tiers or sub-categories that prioritize certain characteristics more than others (street comfort vs aggressive street/light track AKA "hybrid" pads)

The NS400 focuses on being an extremely low dusting, noise free, reasonably priced performance street only pad. It was designed to operate in a temperature window on the lower end of the spectrum and targeted specific characteristics that suit the type of pad it is. Compared to other extremely low dusting street pads it's a knockout as it doesn't sacrifice the friction levels and feel to achieve it's primary goals.

Generally speaking the others mentioned will produce higher friction levels and offer better modulation than the NS400 as the temperature rises. They will all have a higher maximum operating temperature range- all will hold up to light track use and some (Project Mu HC+ and Endless MX72) will hold up to even more. BUT they sacrifice some street manners to accomplish this- they will all dust more and have a higher probability of making noise. Granted it is to different degrees and some definitely sacrifice less on the comfort side of things for the additional performance benefits.

Hope that helps!

-Matt M.
Old 06-11-15, 12:57 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks Matt, yes it has helped.

I've been running the NS400 for over a year now and it has been a great pad especially in terms of low dust levels. But in spirited driving and living in a country which is always hot I think I'll be going for something new.

I think I'll be trying the Endless MX72 next and see how they perform.

Is there a specific version of the Endless MX72 which is suited to the ISF? or is it just known as the MX72?
Old 06-11-15, 11:46 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

The funniest thing, I ran out of the time and my rotors are in great condition. I returned the parts.

Thinking of PPE headers now..............I is want more pooooooowa! LOL
Old 06-11-15, 01:47 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Thanks Matt, yes it has helped.

I've been running the NS400 for over a year now and it has been a great pad especially in terms of low dust levels. But in spirited driving and living in a country which is always hot I think I'll be going for something new.

I think I'll be trying the Endless MX72 next and see how they perform.

Is there a specific version of the Endless MX72 which is suited to the ISF? or is it just known as the MX72?
Not a bad idea I would be interested to hear your feedback on them if you decide to make the switch. Just to clarify Endless is the brand and MX72 is the compound name. They make it in different pad shapes for all sorts of applications. The IS-F pad shapes for Endless are RCP112 for the front and RCP112 for the rear.

Here are the links to our website:
Endless MX72 RCP112 Brake Pads Front Lexus IS-F
Endless MX72 RCP119 Brake Pads Rear Lexus IS-F

If you're interested we have a coupon code which will discount them a little more. If more people are interested we can run a mini group buy or something and give anyone involved an even better deal.

-Matt M.
Old 06-12-15, 02:17 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks mate, really appreciate it, just ordered a set
Old 06-12-15, 10:54 AM
ddcruise
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got a quote from lexus for oem pads, $800 installed. Seem normal from dealer?
Old 06-12-15, 11:13 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

Install them yourself..save $500. It is easier than changing your oil.
Old 06-12-15, 12:20 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Thanks mate, really appreciate it, just ordered a set
Happy to get more of these out there! It's a compound I've been really excited about since I first tried them and I think they will really catch on once others give them a shot as well. I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on them once you get them on and properly bedded in

-Matt M.
Old 06-12-15, 12:26 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vervish
Install them yourself..save $500. It is easier than changing your oil.
+1 Especially on these cars it's very simple. After you do it the first time you'll laugh at the thought of paying a a couple hundred dollars to have someone else do it

-Matt M.
Old 07-19-15, 07:42 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Not a bad idea I would be interested to hear your feedback on them if you decide to make the switch. Just to clarify Endless is the brand and MX72 is the compound name. They make it in different pad shapes for all sorts of applications. The IS-F pad shapes for Endless are RCP112 for the front and RCP112 for the rear.

Here are the links to our website:
Endless MX72 RCP112 Brake Pads Front Lexus IS-F
Endless MX72 RCP119 Brake Pads Rear Lexus IS-F

If you're interested we have a coupon code which will discount them a little more. If more people are interested we can run a mini group buy or something and give anyone involved an even better deal.

-Matt M.
Can you PM me what the cost would be for these pads with the coupon code?

Thanks.