IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-15, 09:48 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 274 Likes on 173 Posts

Great Job Rafi!! Products are getting better and better!!

-Josh (jlee@modinjapan.com)
Old 08-15-15, 09:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by streetx
Well this sucks, Wish I knew you guys were making a revised one cause I would have waited for it. I only had mine for like a month.

although the only thing I really want out of the new setup is the orange ball indicator
Originally Posted by Defratos
^ Agree with what you say, I too recently purchased the RR catch can and would have waited if I knew there would be a revised one.

Originally Posted by STLblueF
Any way to retrofit to the v2 product? Or do I have to order another kit?
Originally Posted by One2beH8ed
I agree street.

I wish I would have known as mine is about a month old. All good. Still works the same.

I have to agree as well ... Not totally happy either. I used mine at the track today and was amazed that mine was full after each session. RR Racing is absolutely addressing a very real issue with the ISF on the track but these being track tested I would have to think capacity should have been increased before initial production by at least double even if there were going to be multiple versions. To increase volume 100% is one thing but when you increase volume by 300% kind of stings as one of the first customers to jump on the RR Racing products and makes V1 seem a bit short in design. Supplier and the fact that we cant interchange the base aside , why did you guys make V1 so small ????

Have to admit that it was cool to see the RR Racing AOS work today at the track today but the whole time I was thinking this canister is too damn small . When I'm at the track you already feel like you have to do and check a lot of things between sessions from just cooling the car down, checking the tires, tire pressures, quick checks the pads, run to the bathroom, check the GoPro (possibly change the battery if you were using the GoPro app and the wifi to remotely operate the camera), clean the windshield if your windshield mounted, Facebook pics ( real talk lol ) , call the wife, AND now we have to empty the AOS. When you consider that you line up 10 minutes before your session that leaves you only 30 minutes to go down that list of things to do. Triple the capacity would be the easiest way to improve ,and frankly perfect the design . I would have assumed that would have been the first aspect of design adjustment during the track testing for the system. And we cant even add the larger cup to the old style unit ?

Since I track my car regularly I feel like I actually do need to increase capacity. ( Anyone driving their F on the street only has nothing to even complain or worry about and triple capacity would frankly be overkill ) .Now assuming the price is still the same plus labor it will cost me another $326 to get the better version after a month ( I dont work on my cars at all so Im stuck on labor) .

In the end for me to complain would be like complaining about my old iphone when the new one comes out , and I still understand that the version I bought is exactly that........but the old one has been out for a month and it was supposed to be track tested ?? It is what it is I guess.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 08-15-15 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-16-15, 04:36 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,400 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
[/B]

I have to agree as well ... Not totally happy either. I used mine at the track today and was amazed that mine was full after each session. RR Racing is absolutely addressing a very real issue with the ISF on the track but these being track tested I would have to think capacity should have been increased before initial production by at least double even if there were going to be multiple versions. To increase volume 100% is one thing but when you increase volume by 300% kind of stings as one of the first customers to jump on the RR Racing products and makes V1 seem a bit short in design. Supplier and the fact that we cant interchange the base aside , why did you guys make V1 so small ????

Have to admit that it was cool to see the RR Racing AOS work today at the track today but the whole time I was thinking this canister is too damn small . When I'm at the track you already feel like you have to do and check a lot of things between sessions from just cooling the car down, checking the tires, tire pressures, quick checks the pads, run to the bathroom, check the GoPro (possibly change the battery if you were using the GoPro app and the wifi to remotely operate the camera), clean the windshield if your windshield mounted, Facebook pics ( real talk lol ) , call the wife, AND now we have to empty the AOS. When you consider that you line up 10 minutes before your session that leaves you only 30 minutes to go down that list of things to do. Triple the capacity would be the easiest way to improve ,and frankly perfect the design . I would have assumed that would have been the first aspect of design adjustment during the track testing for the system. And we cant even add the larger cup to the old style unit ?

Since I track my car regularly I feel like I actually do need to increase capacity. ( Anyone driving their F on the street only has nothing to even complain or worry about and triple capacity would frankly be overkill ) .Now assuming the price is still the same plus labor it will cost me another $326 to get the better version after a month ( I dont work on my cars at all so Im stuck on labor) .

In the end for me to complain would be like complaining about my old iphone when the new one comes out , and I still understand that the version I bought is exactly that........but the old one has been out for a month and it was supposed to be track tested ?? It is what it is I guess.

Hi Guys, we are really sorry, this was not a "planned obsolescence" like an Iphone, and to tell you the truth, I am personally not bothered by having to empty the can at the track, so I never really thought of it as a huge issue (from my perspective anyway).

In any case, for those of you who track your cars often and feel this is a big issue, please email us and we will do everything we can to keep you happy:-)

BTW, we prototyped an AOS setup that never has to be emptied, but the downside is that it would fit under the engine cover and not be seen. We got feedback from many customers who like the way it looks (even specifically requesting blue hose) and also like the fact that they can see how much oil the AOS is intercepting before it gets into the intake.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 08-16-15, 06:06 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I8ABMR - Keep in mind that although V2 has more capacity, it also requires more work to change (not a simple screw off design like V1) and requires disconnecting hoses, tools etc... Which I know aren't your favorite things . I would imagine that it would still need to be changed at least once during a track day so all in all V1 may be the better option for you.
Old 08-16-15, 09:38 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I think think the continuous improvement of products is a great thing. Yeah, it's tough when you buy the first gen of something, but that's the risk you take when you want to be the first to own it. I certainly would never want to discourage a company from improving on products because past customers will be upset.
I think we should all just be grateful that there's another company willing to invest in product development for a car that represents a minuscule share of the market, meaning we now have two companies churning out great aftermarket solutions (FIGS and RRR). And it's funny because we're always the the first to say "hurry up and release x product" anytime we get a hint of development.
Now I just need the Canadian dollar to stop sucking so I can take advantage of some of these new products!
-R
Old 08-16-15, 01:14 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FNSSESPORT
I think think the continuous improvement of products is a great thing. Yeah, it's tough when you buy the first gen of something, but that's the risk you take when you want to be the first to own it. I certainly would never want to discourage a company from improving on products because past customers will be upset.
I think we should all just be grateful that there's another company willing to invest in product development for a car that represents a minuscule share of the market, meaning we now have two companies churning out great aftermarket solutions (FIGS and RRR). And it's funny because we're always the the first to say "hurry up and release x product" anytime we get a hint of development.
Now I just need the Canadian dollar to stop sucking so I can take advantage of some of these new products!
-R
Buy now, Canadian dollar is going to get worse IMHO.
Old 08-16-15, 04:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
I8ABMR - Keep in mind that although V2 has more capacity, it also requires more work to change (not a simple screw off design like V1) and requires disconnecting hoses, tools etc... Which I know aren't your favorite things . I would imagine that it would still need to be changed at least once during a track day so all in all V1 may be the better option for you.
You're right. I dont want to have to go beyond the unscrewing of the canister. Some of us are more handy than other LOL. We all have our talents and skill. I can take piece of metal out of someones cornea and be cool, calm and relaxed, but if you wanted me to install the USRS I would have a nervous breakdown Practice makes perfect. Never had any chance to practice and that makes for little confidence. That leads to lack of attempts especially when you have OCD about your cars. This is why I would only track a Lexus ( imagine anyone anywhere saying that 10 years ago LMAO) . They are reliable, well made, and strong. I drive this thing normally on the street but do regular track days ( 1 every 2 month on average ) and all I do is maintenance every 5k as directed and even rock oem size PSS. We drive really great cars
Old 08-17-15, 10:22 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing

BTW, we prototyped an AOS setup that never has to be emptied, but the downside is that it would fit under the engine cover and not be seen. We got feedback from many customers who like the way it looks (even specifically requesting blue hose) and also like the fact that they can see how much oil the AOS is intercepting before it gets into the intake.
i'm really shocked about this. after the review it seems more convenient to have a system that automatically returns the oil back to the system rather than having to service the canister. does anyone else feel this way?
Old 08-17-15, 12:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Some people like the look of mods under the hood. This is why some people ( not me ) requested that the hoses be blue. I like the stealth look . I would have preferred black hoses. Also this way you can actually tell what the system is capturing
Old 08-18-15, 05:13 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

So with the kit I am developing, I'm really having a hard time justifying the installation of it in the spot where the rr kit goes. There is not really another spot it can go to so I am looking into other means of high quality components to give the user more ease of draining while maintaining a high quality product. Some kits offer a drain **** but these are a cheap design from what I see that still need a secondary drain cap (obviously not high quality if you need a back up part) but what I have found so far will bump up the cost of manufacturing by a few $ but it will provide quality that is approved by the specs of the FAA (federal aviation administration)
Old 08-23-15, 12:15 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Removed

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 07-01-24 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-24-15, 01:08 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

If you have a floor jack you can install the bushings, I did my figs bushings the other day. I gotta say I am very impressed once again with figs
Old 08-24-15, 12:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

you have V2 Lou. It has 3x the carrying volume the V2 does. On the street it will take forever to fill. Like over 6 months. On the track mine filled every single 20 minute session. If you don't do track days I wouldn't be so concerned about it filling up. Id even say let the dealer do it when they change your oil , unless you do it on your own
Old 08-24-15, 02:31 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

couple thoughts on the AOS.

1. Similar to what flowrider said. Need an extra worm gear clamp for intake manifold because the stock one doesnt fit over hose.

2. does the hoses have to be firm? i would think if they were more flexible like rubber it would be easier to install and manuver.

3. the provided hose clamp for the inlet going to AOS is a very tight fit. it could be slight bigger so its easier to put over the hose. it was annoying so i bought a slightly larger one.

4. I dropped one of the hex m8 original bolts (lost it) and swapped with philips head screws and it was much easier to install and remove.
Old 08-25-15, 05:53 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,400 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
I ordered the the USRS and the AOS and received them Friday. I'm in Arizona, so it's really hot here. Debating wether I should wait on the USRS (I don't have a lift, only ramps) but, I installed the AOS yesterday. My Comments.

1. Engine bay is pretty crowded, so the place RR chose for the mounting is probably the best spot.

2. The reservoir is pretty small, wish it was a bit bigger. And needing to remove it with a hex key to empty it means I'll need to carry an extra hex key in the car. Wish there was a better way to empty, though I don't know what it would be.

3. The beauty cover on the driver's side needs to be removed during installation.

4. RR should have supplied a hose clamp for the location I have shown with the arrow on the attached pic. I couldn't reuse the stock hose clamp, it was flimsy and I couldn't make it fit.

Other than the comments above the unit seems to be a quality product and it's built to last.

I have attached two pics. first with the engine cover off. Second with the cover on.

Another comment - The USRS parts are pretty heavy, and the Priority US Mail box the parts were sent in was pretty beat up. One of the corner seams had split and parts could have fallen out.

Lou

Hi Lou, thanks for the comments,

**Regarding the bolts that hold the AOS to the mounting bracket, we have a new solution (shown below) and for anyone who received the first few V2 AOS's, we will gladly send you the thumb screws which allow you to easily remove the canister without tools. Please email us and we will send you the new thumb screws later this week.

**Regarding the hose clamp at the location you specified.... there is no need for any hose clamp there. This hose only see vacuum, there is no way that the tight fitting hose we provide will ever come off without a hose clamp.

**Regarding the size of the reservoir, it is plenty big. On the street you can probably go between oil changes, and on the track it should make it a full track day before you need to empty.

-Rafi

Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator