IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15, 06:30 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Thank you Lou for bringing the slight packing problem to our attention. You got me worried, and I surveyed several customers - no one else seemed to have a problem with USPS boxes/shipping. However, we will start taping the edges of the boxes as well to hopefully avoid your experience.

-- Simon

Didn't see this. My box was sorta ripped up. I just didn't complain bc it was all there. My mailman might hate me too. I get packages all the time.

Overral for the price and the quality. You guys made a great product.
Old 10-26-15, 10:42 PM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi guys,my AOS just arrived and the kit came with 4pcs spacers, i only need to use 2pcs spacers (1 on each screw)right?
Old 10-27-15, 03:45 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltaboso
hi guys,my AOS just arrived and the kit came with 4pcs spacers, i only need to use 2pcs spacers (1 on each screw)right?
That's what I did on mine? Doesn't look like the newer version would be any different?

Pretty sure it's just the two spacers you need.

Cheers.

Peter
Old 10-27-15, 04:55 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,416 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltaboso
Yes, you only need two. We must have put two extra in your package by mistake. Yours was a special package ;-)

Sorry for the confusion,
Simon
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 10-28-15, 08:45 AM
Flogrown
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another mod to the list, including the bazooka tips for the Borla exhaust. Damn forum!!!
Old 10-28-15, 09:02 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Flogrown
Another mod to the list, including the bazooka tips for the Borla exhaust. Damn forum!!!
Lol.

You don't mean that! Modifying your F is good for the economy!

Bad for relationships and bank accounts, but what else are you going to use it on?!

No point being the richest corpse in the graveyard!

Now get those parts ordered!
Old 10-28-15, 10:06 AM
Flogrown
Pole Position

Haha so true, mods are never ending.
Old 10-28-15, 11:13 AM
XutvJet
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My question to those running an AOS. Did you actually have oil consumption problems during track events, during hard driving, and/or during normal driving? It's been my experience that AOS have an amazing way of accumulating a lot of oil, but without the AOS, most cars tend to consume nothing or very little (ie 100-300ml over 4K to 6K miles). So the question becomes, do most AOS present a "problem" that's not really there?

Is the black smoke ugly when it occurs? Yeah, I think so, but is it really a "problem". Based on the shape and design of the ISF/RCF intake manifold, a liquid stream of oil isn't getting into the runners unless you've submerged your car in a vat of oil. I also have a very hard time believing that there are ounces of oil vapor being consumed during track events. That level of consumption would be very apparent with a simple oil level check. I haven't seen much on this site stating that these motors consume oil. The engine would also run absolutely terrible, feel down on power, and perhaps knock/ping.
Old 10-28-15, 11:32 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,416 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by XutvJet
My question to those running an AOS. Did you actually have oil consumption problems during track events, during hard driving, and/or during normal driving? It's been my experience that AOS have an amazing way of accumulating a lot of oil, but without the AOS, most cars tend to consume nothing or very little (ie 100-300ml over 4K to 6K miles). So the question becomes, do most AOS present a "problem" that's not really there?

Is the black smoke ugly when it occurs? Yeah, I think so, but is it really a "problem". Based on the shape and design of the ISF/RCF intake manifold, a liquid stream of oil isn't getting into the runners unless you've submerged your car in a vat of oil. I also have a very hard time believing that there are ounces of oil vapor being consumed during track events. That level of consumption would be very apparent with a simple oil level check. I haven't seen much on this site stating that these motors consume oil. The engine would also run absolutely terrible, feel down on power, and perhaps knock/ping.

If you do not track your car, or do not drive it really hard, you don't need an AOS, or anything else for that matter. So based on the way you are driving, if you are only seeing 100ml consumption in 6000 miles... you are not pushing the car at all.

That said, the AOS is not just about reducing oil consumption, that's only part of the equation.

The PCV system catches all the vapors from the crankcase. These vapors are not just pure oil. Your oil has lots of contamination in it, including water, solvents, and fuel. These substances are the first to vaporize when your oil gets hot because they are more volatile than oil. When these substances vaporize, they carry with them some oil.

If you track your ISF and fill up the AOS, you will notice that the AOS contents are very dark and black, even if you have just changed your engine oil just prior to the track day -- this is due to the high content of contaminants in the accumulated oil.

So I am sure you have seen our photos, and photos our customers have posted of the accumulated oil. That same quantity of oil would have passed straight into the intake manifold without the AOS in between -- there is no other explanation. The AOS is not actively sucking oil out of the crankcase, or doing anything to add to the volume of vapors coming from the PCV system.

Lastly, you are talking about a "liquid stream" getting into the intake runners.... but the oil exiting the crankcase through the PCV is a vapor, not a liquid. This vapor condenses in the AOS and becomes a liquid. Without the AOS, it would never condense, but enter the intake runners as a vapor.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 10-28-15 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-28-15, 12:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

That vapor also causes detonation and makes the ECU retard the timing , creating less HP. My car feel great on and off the track with the AOS. . Consistent in the heat and freer from deposits that age the engine
Old 10-28-15, 01:13 PM
XutvJet
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Again though, did you have oil consumption issues prior to the AOS? If the car was consuming ounces of oil during hard driving, then it's consuming oil thus would be measurable on a dipstick. If the car wasn't consuming oil prior to the AOS install, but then showed oil in the AOS catch can after install, then one would deduce that the AOS is capturing oil that's not actually entering the motor. That's what I'm getting at. I've seen very similar instances with WRXs, Nissan VQ motors, and LSX motors.
Old 10-28-15, 02:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Never had black smoke and never checked my oil level at the track. I usually get the oil changed right before I go. I added this to my F based on the principle of how it works, the AZ heat, and the AZ heat on the track. Dont regret a thing
Old 10-28-15, 02:38 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Is it just me or has anyone else experience better fuel economy with the A/O separator? I'm seeing a very noticeable change in fuel economy.
Old 10-28-15, 03:10 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any potential "flaws" by running this in the cold Canadian weather? lol

I recently installed:

FIGS LCA, F-sport rear Sway bar, and KW V3 coilovers
Now that the temperature has dropped I am started to hear squeaking - cannot determine from what yet!
Squeak free for 3-4 months until last two weeks

I bought the version 2, it has still been sitting in the box - have not had a chance to install it yet...
Old 10-28-15, 03:43 PM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
Is it just me or has anyone else experience better fuel economy with the A/O separator? I'm seeing a very noticeable change in fuel economy.
What's your definition of noticeable?

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator