IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-15, 06:00 PM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rafi,

Is there any chance that we'll see RR Racing develop an AOS for the Lexus models with the 2GR-FSE motor? We have plenty of other CL members on the forums that also enjoy tracking and AutoXing their F-Sport vehicles.
Old 07-07-15, 06:02 PM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
And every engine will be different. The biggest issue here is ring fit. With good rings, there is little blowby, with poor ring fit, there is lots of blowby. I've been through lots of this back in the days I was building road race engines for motorcycles.
You would think that a limited production high end engine would have better rings.
Old 07-07-15, 06:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by NSXGuy
You would think that a limited production high end engine would have better rings.
It's not the quality of the rings, it's the quality of the ring fit. Whenever possible, I buy oversize rings so I can hand file the end gaps to the spec I want, not just at some point in the factory tolerance range. This is mostly impossible for Toyota as they do not produce oversize pistons or rings. If there is enough interest the aftermarket will.

The factory builds engines to tolerance. It's the only way to build them cost effectively. You may think this is a low volume engine, but they tolerated many deviations from optimum when they assembled these engines. They could not be so inexpensive if they didn't.
Old 07-07-15, 08:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Hey I8ABMR,

I know you are a track junkie, and I guarantee you that you would be shocked to see how much oil you will accumulate in a typical track day. I empty my AOS after every 1/2 hour session.

Here is what we accumulated after 4 sessions at NJMP:
Alright, Im going to order one. Its not expensive and if it will help maintain the performance level that would be great. I I have a feeling she is going to be there for a while since I also need alignment, the ELF recall and probably will neeed the coolant leak issue examined as well. am not handy in the least but so the tech at Lexus will be doing the install along with my new RR Racing LCA bushings ( Steering response system ).

Can you explain how to empty it and also what happens if its not emptied regularly. Thanks Rafi!! Im
Old 07-07-15, 09:07 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This should help those who are still on the fence about purchasing an AOS. I accumulated this after driving for a few hours or couple hundred miles this weekend in triple digit speeds.

I8ABMR, all you do is twist the can off the bottom and dump and twist it back on. Installation is also very simple!

Name:  403E7397-9B7C-457E-AF8F-1E106823CDA9_zpsohuikghl.jpg
Views: 2005
Size:  61.4 KB
Name:  7A8CA8B8-84EE-4073-80CE-6A2D8BB4349E_zps5k2xqmfw.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  89.7 KB
Old 07-07-15, 10:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kauaian
This should help those who are still on the fence about purchasing an AOS. I accumulated this after driving for a few hours or couple hundred miles this weekend in triple digit speeds.

I8ABMR, all you do is twist the can off the bottom and dump and twist it back on. Installation is also very simple!

Thanks for explaining that. Now, is the little can on the bottom of the square piece that says RR racing? Sorry about the dumb questions. I usually pay someone to do my install work also never had a car with a Catch can or Air/Oil seperator so unfamiliar territory. Thanks again buddy
Old 07-07-15, 10:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Kuaian I just ordered a kit !! LOL I figure with all the track days I do, the AZ heat, and the triple digit speeds I do ( rural/desert highways ) I figure it would be a good investment in the engine performance consistency as well as maintaining a slightly higher performance level under load at the track. Also dont want any smoke coming out of my exhaust. That looks ghetto as hell. Been there done that back in college with a civic I had with 286k miles on it.
Old 07-07-15, 11:45 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the can is located under the RR etched plate. Not and umb question at all and it will be clear once you see the entire assembly. Like I mentioned earlier the car seems to be running smoother! I'm guessing because it's no longer receiving blow by and pulling timing.
Old 07-07-15, 11:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

very very cool. Thanks again for responding so fast bud .
Old 07-08-15, 07:10 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super easy install. You could do it yourself. Took me about 30 minutes but like I said I am OCD so I want everything clean and no issues.

The can is underneath. Very easy to twist off. Little harder if you have huge hands like me bc its in a tight area. The can also has a oil gauge on the side (like oil guage on quarts of oil) so you know when you need to empty.

I have noticed car runs smoother as well.

To me it is a bit overkill as I dont track and practically baby the car, but Im always up for a mod and something that could keep car running longer and more effective. Per cautious I should say.

I also want to say thanks to RRracing for making mods. I will be buying more things from you in the future. Keep making quality parts for our cars. I much appreciate it.
Old 07-08-15, 12:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by One2beH8ed
Super easy install. You could do it yourself. Took me about 30 minutes but like I said I am OCD so I want everything clean and no issues.

The can is underneath. Very easy to twist off. Little harder if you have huge hands like me bc its in a tight area. The can also has a oil gauge on the side (like oil guage on quarts of oil) so you know when you need to empty.

I have noticed car runs smoother as well.

To me it is a bit overkill as I dont track and practically baby the car, but Im always up for a mod and something that could keep car running longer and more effective. Per cautious I should say.

I also want to say thanks to RRracing for making mods. I will be buying more things from you in the future. Keep making quality parts for our cars. I much appreciate it.
Thanks . I am excited to see what the new bushing and catch can will do.. The AO separator will be a good addition with all the track days. I have never seen any smoke but I have noticed that on the track days where I am pushing very hard I feel like the engine output is slightly reduced whe I am going WOT on a long straight after 4-5 laps. I am assuming it could be the ECU pulling some timing. Not sure but after seeing the accumulated oil after just a few sessions or a high speed run I am IN !
Old 07-08-15, 01:30 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe RR Racing will do a group buy on these since so many people want one
Old 07-08-15, 01:49 PM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by streetx
maybe RR Racing will do a group buy on these since so many people want one
Of course they will. Right after I just bought one. hahahaha. Go for it. If you dont ask answer is always NO.
Old 07-09-15, 02:41 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Too late for me . I ordered the bushing and AO separator this week. Need service in 1000 miles so will getting it all done with the ELF and possibly coolant leak in the valley done at the same time. I have feeling the next scheduled visit will be a long time before I get my car back. Id say at least 4 days
Old 07-09-15, 12:03 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished installing mine, very very easy. Looking forward to test this out on the track. I'm predicting I will accumulate almost a full quart of oil during my next session based upon where the oil is on the dipstick when I'm done.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator