IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I'm done with Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 06:50 PM
Pie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no issues with my 08 with 67k miles. It sits outside 24/7. I do have tints and a sunshade.
Old 06-23-15, 09:43 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

7 years and the dash is the biggest issue, beats the hell out of all of the BMWs I have owned in the past.
Old 06-23-15, 10:28 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan
7 years and the dash is the biggest issue, beats the hell out of all of the BMWs I have owned in the past.
LOL That's so true. 1st MY issues are generally the norm, but for the IS-F (Even if you do an extensive search) has had VERY few of them.

I had an 08, and the entire interior (Including the dash) looked and felt brand new when I sold it last year. Obviously in most cases, general degradation is expected through wear and tear. I'd be interested to see the OP's dash... I'd have to concur with others that perhaps it was a combination of a certain interior cleaner with weather conditions?

I agree though that Lexus should honor replacement on the IS-Fs, assuming it's the same part that they are honoring for the IS X50s.
Old 06-24-15, 06:54 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

So do the '08s have the same affected interior or not? It makes sense that they would in which case I can understand the OPs frustration. It wouldn't make sense for Lexus to exclude IS-F owners, especially when they include other models outside of the IS line.

But there are so many others here with '08s that claim their interior still looks great.
Old 06-24-15, 07:36 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

08 here in perfect shape.

Discovered what appears to be magic this weekend regarding plastics (particularly exterior). In experimenting with high-quality sealants the last year, I found that Sonax Polymer Sealant (aerosol) seems to be bringing all black plastic back to life. This of course offers good protection as well.

Give it a shot, it's cheap.
Old 06-24-15, 07:37 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
So do the '08s have the same affected interior or not? It makes sense that they would in which case I can understand the OPs frustration. It wouldn't make sense for Lexus to exclude IS-F owners, especially when they include other models outside of the IS line.

But there are so many others here with '08s that claim their interior still looks great.
many but not all, the same goes for all the ISX50 which share the same interior with ISF. The main issue here is why Lexus covers all the ISX50 interior but not the ISF with same interior parts and past the warranty.
Old 06-24-15, 08:13 AM
MarekFl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by primecut
LOL That's so true. 1st MY issues are generally the norm, but for the IS-F (Even if you do an extensive search) has had VERY few of them..
I have to admit that I still love my IS-F. It is a wild beast when you want it to be and a civilized Lexus when you want some comfort. And yes, except this crappy interior, I haven't had even a single issue during 6 years of ownership. Just oil changes and (very frequent) tire replacements.
Old 06-24-15, 08:25 AM
MarekFl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by J2K
There is a class action lawsuit for this issue that was started by the Ferraro law firm in Miami.
Thank you! I contacted them, let's see what happens again. Looks like I may have a cleaner case as I was reporting interior issues while the car was still under warranty (had dashboard replaced).
Old 06-24-15, 10:53 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 68 Posts

Can you please post some pictures of what you are experiencing?
Old 06-24-15, 05:14 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

MY 08 IS F interior still looks perfect and new w/ over 106K miles.

Never had a dash issue even in the HOT SoCal climate.. Garaged Home & Garaged Work..

Also, I have never used any chemicals or sealants or protectants on the plastic dash or interior.

Once in a blue moon I spray some Meguiar’s interior quick dealer on a microfiber cloth to take off some light dust…

Joe Z
Old 06-24-15, 05:39 PM
blckbrd
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ agreed Joe! I'll use a damp rag for all of my interior(leather included) week to week and maybe every couple of months I'll use the same Meguiars product. I have an 08, live in HOTlanta and have zero issues(minus the discolored driver side bolster).
I had an 02 IS with the classic "melting" dash issue. After years of hating the dash, I bought and had Lexus install the new one. Well worth my $.
Old 06-24-15, 05:40 PM
blckbrd
Pole Position

P.s. You'll be back
Old 06-24-15, 09:46 PM
zpletcher
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MarekFl
I have a 2008 Lexus IS-F with just over 40K miles on it. The car has always been garaged. And that's the problem. Lexus installed some crappy plastics in all 2007-2008 IS'es (incuding IS-F) - over time they start to detoriate and fall appart. It is significantly accelerated by sun exposure - people who parked outside had their interiors replaced under warranty. Lexus knows about this issue and replaces interiors in 2007-2008 IS 250 and IS 350 for free, even when cars are out of warranty. But not in IS-F! For some reason Lexus thinks they can get away with treating IS-F owners like crap. I was going to replace my IS-F with RC-F this year, but after hearing Lexus won't fix my interior, I am done with that brand.

P.S. IS-F is my third Lexus, I had GS 460 and SC 430 before. This is how the company treats its loyal customer...
Are you talking about the dash?? This Texas Sun is tough... My '05 Landcrusher's dash still looks new....

I am curious about this myself. My wife has 2007 Camry V6 and we got a recall to replace dash if it is cracked..My daughter's 07 Solara Convertible V6 has the cracked dash..My service rep friend, who is also a Certified Toyota Mechanic , says Toyota has not notified them yet to replace the cracked dash, and he thought they would send it down from Toyota a month ago but have not. We got the recall letter 4 months ago..
Very disappointing.. It is crazy how the fancier dash in the Solara Convertible cracked but not in the Camry XLE V6..

I sure love my 2012 ISF... So far so good.
.So sorry you are having problems...Darn!!

Cheerio, Z
Old 06-25-15, 04:39 AM
MarekFl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I guess a question I'd ask... is the part number different for a 2008 IS-F dashboard and a 2008 IS350 dashboard ?

I haven't heard the issues here in the IS-F forum that I've seen in the 2IS forum about dash problems.
Small update - I had a call from Lexus corporate last night, and they claim part numbers for IS and IS-F are different and this is a cause of IS-F not being covered. They also said I should go ahead and pay for the fixes now and hope they will include IS-F in the repair program later. If they ever do, I may (may!) be eligible for reimbursement.
Old 06-25-15, 04:41 AM
MarekFl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blckbrd
(minus the discolored driver side bolster)
This is how my problem started - driver's side bolster was discolored. Wait 3-4 more months...

Quick Reply: I'm done with Lexus