IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Just installed the Ultimate Steering Response System (USRS) from RR-Racing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 09:04 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Got mine installed today, haven't driven it much yet but don't really have anything bad to say in terms of steering wheel feel, it just feels more solid.

Need to drive it to work tomorrow and see how it handles in my usual roads:

Name:  3444B261-9AD9-41C1-A232-53A5911392E8_zpsqxafpgwi.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  138.0 KB

Name:  E85DB9B9-9298-4351-9ADA-C12368053158_zpsgei6lrxf.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  134.1 KB

Name:  04B01DFC-52F5-4154-82C6-35184B906DD4_zpsprmjaofp.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  165.3 KB

I have one question though, in the future when I need to readjust the pre-load adjustment bolts, do I have to loosen the 17mm and 22mm bolts that hold the bush to the sub-frame? or can I simply just tighten the adjustment bolts while the bush is attached to the sub-frame at the specified torque?
Old 07-22-15, 09:17 AM
DAng87
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The torque for those 2 bolts are 150ftlb.

If I understand the design correctly, there shouldnt be any need to re adjust in future because of those 2 preload bolts.
Old 07-22-15, 10:08 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DAng87

If I understand the design correctly, there shouldnt be any need to re adjust in future because of those 2 preload bolts.
150 lbs of torque for the 17 mm is too much. oem calls for 63 lbs of torque.
Old 07-22-15, 10:10 AM
Defratos
Racer

Originally Posted by DAng87

Not Correct!!

The Pre-load adjustment bolts do not have a Torque setting.

The 22mm bolt is 150 ft-lbs
The 17mm bolt is 63 ft-lbs
the 14mm bolts are 37 ft-lbs
the 22mm spindle nut is 83 lbft

and as mentioned in the DIY it is "recommended to check the pre-load bolts periodically after initial break in (~500 miles) or after any intense track duty".

Someone correct me if any of the above is wrong.
Old 07-22-15, 10:11 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Defratos

I have one question though, in the future when I need to readjust the pre-load adjustment bolts, do I have to loosen the 17mm and 22mm bolts that hold the bush to the sub-frame? or can I simply just tighten the adjustment bolts while the bush is attached to the sub-frame at the specified torque?
i'm about to get an alignment tomorrow and im going to loosen the 17mm/22mm bolts that hold the bushing to the frame and also the 22mm nut that hold the bushing on the end of the control arm just to set the preload again. then retorque everything to oem specs.
Old 07-22-15, 10:13 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Not Correct!!

The Pre-load adjustment bolts do not have a Torque setting.

The 22mm bolt is 150 ft-lbs
The 17mm bolt is 63 ft-lbs
the 14mm bolts are 37 ft-lbs
the 22mm spindle nut is 83 lbft

and as mentioned in the DIY it is "recommended to check the pre-load bolts periodically after initial break in (~500 miles) or after any intense track duty".

Someone correct me if any of the above is wrong.

Correct, those are the right numbers.
Old 07-22-15, 11:34 AM
DAng87
Pit Crew

sorry, thanks for the correction!
Old 07-23-15, 10:27 AM
Defratos
Racer

Well got to drive the car to work and back today and these bushes are a must.

So first impressions, front end feels more solid, especially when turning into corners, feels more planted.

I could feel a little bit more road feedback from the pedals slightly. Steering wheel and inside comfort didn't change much.

I did a few hard runs and from WOT I was expecting the car to do its usual thing and have tires slipping and me countering the car slipping by adjusting the steering. Now the car did slip as usual but the steering stayed dead center, I literally didn't have to move the steering wheel to counter the slip in anyway, it just pointed forward and I could just rest my arm on the wheel. Feels muuuuch more reassuring, even when i changed to 2nd gear and it slipped for a good sec the car kept its noise straight with very little involvement from me.

Yesterday right after the install on my first hard stop and I heard a screech, like the momentum of the car moved to the front tires and they had a hard time gripping.

Now this only happened once and the first time. Soon after that I tried a few more times and the car stopped perfectly.

Today I did some very aggressive high speed stops and man does the car track beautifully.

I tried at different speeds and the highest was around 150km/h (93mph) to a dead stop and the car is completely different
Old 07-23-15, 10:58 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Well got to drive the car to work and back today and these bushes are a must.

So first impressions, front end feels more solid, especially when turning into corners, feels more planted.

I could feel a little bit more road feedback from the pedals slightly. Steering wheel and inside comfort didn't change much.

I did a few hard runs and from WOT I was expecting the car to do its usual thing and have tires slipping and me countering the car slipping by adjusting the steering. Now the car did slip as usual but the steering stayed dead center, I literally didn't have to move the steering wheel to counter the slip in anyway, it just pointed forward and I could just rest my arm on the wheel. Feels muuuuch more reassuring, even when i changed to 2nd gear and it slipped for a good sec the car kept its noise straight with very little involvement from me.

Yesterday right after the install on my first hard stop and I heard a screech, like the momentum of the car moved to the front tires and they had a hard time gripping.

Now this only happened once and the first time. Soon after that I tried a few more times and the car stopped perfectly.

Today I did some very aggressive high speed stops and man does the car track beautifully.

I tried at different speeds and the highest was around 150km/h (93mph) to a dead stop and the car is completely different
Sounds brilliant.

Thanks for sharing your early impressions.

Can't wait to get mine next week!
Old 07-23-15, 09:33 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How's the bump steer, better or worse? I've noticed this car has a heavy tendency to bump steer as it came from the factory.
Old 07-24-15, 03:00 AM
Defratos
Racer

Bump steer seems better to me, doesn't get affected by bumps as much, holds its direction better than before.
Old 08-04-15, 02:34 PM
DAng87
Pit Crew

any updates? would like to hear additional feedback!
Old 08-05-15, 12:30 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Ive had mine now for a month or maybe 3 weeks and I love it. I am already used to how the car feels. Absolutely a must do mod in my book. The front end feels tighter, steering feels more direct, and the brakes feel more direct as well. The added NVH is essentially the same as adding a few psi to your tires. Nothing crazy. Even if it doesnt do a thing increase tire life its worth every penny in terms of added connection and communication with the chassis as a whole. From what I have heard it really helps stabilize the car on the track in the high speed braking zones. I am eager to give it a go
Old 08-05-15, 04:00 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

It's definitely a worthwhile upgrade
Attached Thumbnails Just installed the Ultimate Steering Response System (USRS) from RR-Racing.-giphy.gif   Just installed the Ultimate Steering Response System (USRS) from RR-Racing.-arnold_schwarzenegger_do_it_now_meme_by_therealmdgaming-d8zfbn4.jpg  
Old 08-07-15, 02:01 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,405 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Ive had mine now for a month or maybe 3 weeks and I love it. I am already used to how the car feels. Absolutely a must do mod in my book. The front end feels tighter, steering feels more direct, and the brakes feel more direct as well. The added NVH is essentially the same as adding a few psi to your tires. Nothing crazy. Even if it doesnt do a thing increase tire life its worth every penny in terms of added connection and communication with the chassis as a whole. From what I have heard it really helps stabilize the car on the track in the high speed braking zones. I am eager to give it a go

Thank you guys for all the positive feedback. We got backordered for a while but will be shipping these mid next week (on Aug 12, 13th)... for those of you on backorder, thank you for your patience, I really think you will find the wait worthwhile.

-Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Quick Reply: Just installed the Ultimate Steering Response System (USRS) from RR-Racing.