IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

thinking of installing a cusco oil catch can instead of RR racing oil/air seperator

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 01:10 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thinking of installing a cusco oil catch can instead of RR racing oil/air seperator

this thread is not about saying the 2 items are completely similar or anything, im just looking for another alternative because im in the philippines and its a pain in the *ss to order parts from the U.S.....i have to go through ALOT before i receive the item i ordered so i prefer to buy parts that are readily available here....
anyway i just want to know if installing an oil catch can (and probably adding a sponge inside to suck the oil or act as a filter) would be somewhat the same as long as i customize it to prevent the oil from going out of the catch can again.

Thanks
Old 07-02-15, 06:07 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A catch can is basically the same as an air oil seperator. The main difference is an AOS drains the fluids back into the oil. Which really males the rr piece a catch can

No, do not add a sponge. If the catch can is build correctly it will have it own baffling/screens to catch the oil
Old 07-02-15, 10:48 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,975 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Many of the low cost catch cans just have some kind of (hopefully) stainless steel wool in them to help liquify the oil vapor. Part of the problem is the catch can needs to be cooler than the oil vapor coming in, so location in the engine bay is actually pretty important. If the can cannot shed heat, the oil vapor reduction will be minimal. The other problem is, most catch cans have to be serviced. As they fill with oil, your oil level drops, so getting the oil back into the sump is pretty important. How fast it fills up is something you will have to experiment with and will be unique to your driving and weather patterns.

I've built quite a few of these in my motorcycle road racing days. They're not a simple as one would hope.