IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need help with ISF Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 06:40 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need help with ISF Issue

Just had my lexus dealership do the ELF recall. While it was in there I had them check to see why my check vsc light comes on randomly which sets off the check engine light.

They came back and told me that my water pump is leaking, im no mechanic so I have no idea if it's leaking or not. If it is, what are the future problems of a leaking water pump?

They said the check vsc light is coming on, in their words is "found center y pipe, gaskets leaking at front pipe, may still need to replace converter pipe." So what does that mean and what do I need to do? Thanks guys!
Old 07-02-15, 07:00 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by leisinjp
Just had my lexus dealership do the ELF recall. While it was in there I had them check to see why my check vsc light comes on randomly which sets off the check engine light.

They came back and told me that my water pump is leaking, im no mechanic so I have no idea if it's leaking or not. If it is, what are the future problems of a leaking water pump?

They said the check vsc light is coming on, in their words is "found center y pipe, gaskets leaking at front pipe, may still need to replace converter pipe." So what does that mean and what do I need to do? Thanks guys!
What are the codes that come up. When check vsc light comes on. I had two codes that where related to the gaskets from headers to exhaust . Had leaks
Old 07-02-15, 11:56 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey op.

Are you running stock headers and exhaust? If so, maybe it's time to consider changing them?

As others have said, sounds like one of the gaskets between your exhaust system and headers is leaking.

I bet Lexus will want a pretty penny to rectify that for you?

Guess it depends on whether you are planning to modify the car at all?
Old 07-03-15, 09:09 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Miqueaseli
What are the codes that come up. When check vsc light comes on. I had two codes that where related to the gaskets from headers to exhaust . Had leaks
Looks like the two codes are p0420 and p0430.
Old 07-03-15, 09:11 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PDP180180
Hey op.

Are you running stock headers and exhaust? If so, maybe it's time to consider changing them?

As others have said, sounds like one of the gaskets between your exhaust system and headers is leaking.

I bet Lexus will want a pretty penny to rectify that for you?

Guess it depends on whether you are planning to modify the car at all?
Actually my exhaust and headers are all stock. I've been waiting for an opportunity or enough money saved up to invest into the headers and exhaust. This would be a perfect excuse to do that. Plus my lexus dealership said it would be around $2,000 to fix it. I know Joe Z and ISS are around $1,500.
Old 07-03-15, 09:13 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

If it is one of the gaskets between the headers and exhaust, can I not just replace that gasket instead of doing the whole exhaust? I'm not very educated with the whole car mechanic diagnostic stuff. I would much rather put a set of aftermarket headers and exhaust on but I just want to know what my options are.
Old 07-03-15, 09:49 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

If it's just a gasket that should be easy to fix. All the exhaust gaskets except for the headers->cylinder head gaskets should be easy to get to and replace. I certainly would not replace the exhaust over a gasket unless I was 100% ready to go aftermarket
Old 07-03-15, 12:04 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 93MSB
If it's just a gasket that should be easy to fix. All the exhaust gaskets except for the headers->cylinder head gaskets should be easy to get to and replace. I certainly would not replace the exhaust over a gasket unless I was 100% ready to go aftermarket
Had the exact same codes just replace the gaskets from headers to exhaust. The previous owner I bought the ISF from had ppe headers he put car back to stock and the oem gaskets where toast. Replaced both of them and code free exhaust leak free. I'll ask ISFPAT for the part numbers .
Old 07-03-15, 12:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The 08s and 09 have well known water pump issues. Thats really the only symptom other than seeing the pink dried fluid running down the sides of the motor.
Old 07-03-15, 03:32 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It's the replace converter pipe that's troubling me?

If that's catalytic converter pipe, you could be looking at quite a hefty bill!

The fact they quoted $2K to fix tells me it's more than just a couple of cheap gaskets that need replacing.

I'd say get your headers and Joe Z ordered up!

Hope you get it sorted dude.

Cheers.

Peter
Old 07-03-15, 05:14 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

I called the service tech back and asked him what specifically needs to be replaced. He said in quote "the center pipe and gaskets" and then he said it would be $2200 for it.
Old 07-03-15, 05:16 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The 08s and 09 have well known water pump issues. Thats really the only symptom other than seeing the pink dried fluid running down the sides of the motor.
So I don't need to get the water pump replaced? If the leak gets worse what will happen?
Old 07-03-15, 05:18 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Miqueaseli
Had the exact same codes just replace the gaskets from headers to exhaust. The previous owner I bought the ISF from had ppe headers he put car back to stock and the oem gaskets where toast. Replaced both of them and code free exhaust leak free. I'll ask ISFPAT for the part numbers .

That would be much appreciated, thanks man.
Old 07-03-15, 05:19 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PDP180180
It's the replace converter pipe that's troubling me?

If that's catalytic converter pipe, you could be looking at quite a hefty bill!

The fact they quoted $2K to fix tells me it's more than just a couple of cheap gaskets that need replacing.

I'd say get your headers and Joe Z ordered up!

Hope you get it sorted dude.

Cheers.

Peter

I feel you man. But at this point I would rather have more money saved up to buy the header, exhaust, and intake all at once and have it tuned.
Old 07-03-15, 05:23 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leisinjp
That would be much appreciated, thanks man.
Also those codes are for exhaust leaks . The gaskets will help . I'm replacing water pump at a Lexus dealership. Call Lexus corporate on that they will help out its a common failure. Also 2220 for you pipe you can buy a Joe Z for way less than that .

Quick Reply: Need help with ISF Issue