IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Car got keyed...help..

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-15, 05:29 AM
Lexgendboi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, so i finally got the keyed marks removed. Not by respray though. At first i took it to a few reputable shops to have them estimated. They were all wanted around $2k (due to trimming removal, respray the entire panel from rear up the the front door to match). So that had pushed me back until yesterday while waiting for Costco to open, i decided to give it a shot and took it to this next door detailing place. It cost me $90 and 30 mins after, i literally can not find the marks anymore. At first, he tried the finger nail test and also confirmed its too deep, hence required respray. He then later agreed to give it a try with me signing a waiver. I figured at that point, i got nothing to loose. If it get worst, i'll still have to respray it. Anyway, thought i should share this so anyone who unfortunately shared my situation can remedy it. The fix was just wet sand and buff btw. I took only one pic out of 3 areas that was fixed, but all 3 marks are undetectable now.

Old 08-23-15, 05:40 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Good stuff, glad it worked out for you with minimal cost.

I've always wondered, when you wet sand and buff out a scratch like that, does it mean that you'd have to continue to maintain a good wax and etc. on the car or else the scratch will start showing eventually?
Old 08-23-15, 05:40 AM
J2K
Pole Position

Looks pretty damn good!
Old 08-24-15, 03:16 PM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Sorry to see this. Haters mad bc they cant afford a nice car. I don't mean to get on a tangent, but I really hate the fact that people is the world are so selfish and not considerate of others. I see it every day driving, on the news, in my work place. Its ridiculous.

Im surprised there is this many people on forums who help out. Just unheard of today. Feel sorry for my future kids to have to grow up in this world.

All I know is If I saw this persona vandalize my car, he would have been eating through a straw for a very long time.

Anyways. Scratches look deep. I have heard of some magicians that can fix these around my area. There are very few. Looks like car will need to be painted. I would recommended clay bar, some compound, wax and a high speed buff. May get some of it out without being so noticeable.

If you lived in Charlotte I could direct you to g a guy. Hes one of the magicians.

Good luck and post what you do incase we have this happen. God for bid. Once again sorry to see this.
Old 08-24-15, 04:59 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fearnight
In my experience, you can't make paint appear on bare metal without applying more paint. Your detailer must be a magician . That, or the scratch wasn't quite that deep after all.

Worth a try for the OP though either way.
It looks like we have another magician. All is needed is someone who knows what they are doing and time. I'm glad OP that your car is back to normal.
Old 08-24-15, 05:17 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Glad you got by, and the results look pretty good!

I don't know why people key cars for no reason. Karma will get to whoever did this...
Old 08-24-15, 09:19 PM
Lexgendboi
Driver

Thanks everyone, the scratches were deep but were not to the metal. I stood and watched him wet sanded the areas, then buffed with some Menzerna product. Thats it. I washed the car when i got home and the scratches are still undetectable. I then clayed and waxed the areas to give a protective coat. Im posting this to let you know that perhaps we're all can do this fix. Just dont over pressure and burn the paint. Take it easy, slow and we could save ton of money for other mods
P.S. with the money saved, im getting a Black Vue DR650GW 2channels dash cam. My car is garaged most of the times. Im only concern of outing parking and dealer joy rides

Last edited by Lexgendboi; 08-24-15 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-24-15, 11:29 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Glad to see your car is back to normal, i feel your pain as mine just got vandalized in the back bumper with multiple scratches on my black beauty. i hope to find a good detailer in CO so they can give it a try it also.
Old 08-25-15, 08:30 PM
v8sedan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
It looks like we have another magician. All is needed is someone who knows what they are doing and time. I'm glad OP that your car is back to normal.
No you cannot fix a scratch that is bare metal, the fact is that the white you see is scratched clearcoat and not bare metal, there is no magic there just talent, you wetsand it till scratch is out, if you don't hit the basecoat you're golden, if you do you need respray, nice job he did there op, I'm a bodyshop owner and tought it would not come out without respray ;-)
Old 03-22-19, 03:19 PM
JomsyandG
10th Gear

Originally Posted by One2beH8ed
Sorry to see this. Haters mad bc they cant afford a nice car. I don't mean to get on a tangent, but I really hate the fact that people is the world are so selfish and not considerate of others. I see it every day driving, on the news, in my work place. Its ridiculous.

Im surprised there is this many people on forums who help out. Just unheard of today. Feel sorry for my future kids to have to grow up in this world.

All I know is If I saw this persona vandalize my car, he would have been eating through a straw for a very long time.

Anyways. Scratches look deep. I have heard of some magicians that can fix these around my area. There are very few. Looks like car will need to be painted. I would recommended clay bar, some compound, wax and a high speed buff. May get some of it out without being so noticeable.

If you lived in Charlotte I could direct you to g a guy. Hes one of the magicians.

Good luck and post what you do incase we have this happen. God for bid. Once again sorry to see this.
just got keyed and I’m in Charlotte - who is that magician you referred to?