IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Oil Temp Worry

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 01:49 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Just a quick update, I have an appointment this Friday at 730am. My service advisor and our go to technician has been informed of the situation. All key points here have been raised, and hopefully they'll be addressed. Last night I realized I made a mistake...sigh. I was taking a look at my work order and read the actual weight the "Master Mechanic" used for oil...he put in 5W-20. I got completely irritated because I gave this new team (service advisor & tech) a go, since mine were absent. Remember, I needed this service because I was running low on engine oil level. I can't stand such incompetence. I'm an aircraft technician and we're heavily trained to follow the paperwork. The manual is the law. No deviation. I guess it's hard to expect the same from others.
Just a wild guess...I'm betting this weight in viscosity oil is causing the temperature to go higher? Correct me if I'm wrong...I'm not a car technician...lol...but if i read and understood correctly, 5w-30 handles higher temperatures better? Despite of being 2 quarts low in oil last week, my temperature never raised. I know my original tech always did good for me. Again, thank you everyone for all the advice. 2URGSE, a big thank you to you! I will be giving redline oil a chance once this whole interval is situated. If anybody else thinks of anything, please chime in! I'll keep you guys posted...
Old 08-05-15, 05:38 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

You're very welcome. Always like to share my experience to help others.

Yes, there is nothing more annoying than idiots screwing things up, either under-filling, overfilling, using the wrong grade, re-using the crush washer, overtighting the drain plug, the list goes on and on.

The weight may be an issue. The car's manual is very specific about what the engine needs, the tolerances in Japanese motors are very tight. This is a good start.

If anything, print out a big note for these guys that says:

5W-30 weight, 9.8 qrtz with filter. Tape it on the windshield and verbally point it out.

If they screw this up, fire them and go somewhere else.

If this was my dealership, none of this would have happened.

I just hope these guys don't work on LFA's.

Let us know what happens on Friday.
Old 08-06-15, 01:08 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Red Line is way overkill for the F. I run it in my Supra because turbo engines are very hard on oil, but the F is not. Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart works just fine and I have over 100k miles of used oil analysis to support this.

Lexus specifically does not recommend any 20 weight oil for the F, however, heavier oils tend to run hotter, so mixing a couple of quarts of 5w-20 with a whole lot of 5w-30 isn't as big a deal as it sounds.
Old 08-06-15, 05:35 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Red Line is way overkill for the F. I run it in my Supra because turbo engines are very hard on oil, but the F is not. Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart works just fine and I have over 100k miles of used oil analysis to support this.
I had a turbo car before, I know how they behave. The Supra turbo didn't have water cooled turbos, only oil cooled from what I remember. People started using turbo timers and synthetic oils to prevent oil coking.

Yeah, he can run Mobil 1 from WalMart...........I just feel RedLine is superior oil to Mobil 1. Some say Mobil 1 is not a true synthetic anymore, but I am not an oil expert, I don't run oil analysis.

Anyways, not going to turn this into a motor oil debate.

His car ran hot, so IF IT WAS ME, I would get the better oil, but I tend to overkill things.

Each to his own.
Old 08-07-15, 04:42 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Many know, but if you don't, Lexus uses xW30 on the F because they are run harder and thus hotter... they need to maintain the viscosity at the higher temps.
Old 08-07-15, 07:26 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Good morning everyone! I just got back home from the dealer! Okay so this is what happened... I explained the situation to the last rep that helped me on my last visit. My go to rep wasn't there yet. When mentioning the viscosity and temp gauge going up, he said to me. " I don't know, we use 5w-20 on all our cars." I immediately changed my tone, as I was shocked of the answer. I simply told him, I'd rather you keep it at " I don't know" because if I was to call corporate In reference to the service provided, they won't be happy. He got the Master tech who worked on my car, on the phone and from what I understood, he wasn't much help. We ended up getting the service manager involved and this is when I set clear expectations. Nobody argued, instead they listened got a bit educated, as the ultimate goal is to get it right and to the bottom of the loss of the 2 quarts. They put me in a loaner, mentioned they will take their time with the car, compression check & leak checks will be conducted and change of oil. This is when my rep showed up and took over, he assured me he will ensure everything is satisfactory and put my go to tech for the job. I'll keep you guys updated!

Last edited by SoulFreak; 08-07-15 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-07-15, 09:05 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Good morning everyone! I just got back home from the dealer! Okay so this is what happened... I explained the situation to the last rep that helped me on my last visit. My go to rep wasn't there yet. When mentioning the viscosity and temp gauge going up, he said to me. " I don't know, we use 5w-20 on all our cars." I immediately changed my tone, as I was shocked of the answer. I simply told him, I'd rather you keep it at " I don't know" because if I was to call corporate In reference to the service provided, they won't be happy. He got the Master tech who worked on my car, on the phone and from what I understood, he wasn't much help. We ended up getting the service manager involved and this is when I set clear expectations. Nobody argued, instead they listened got a bit educated, as the ultimate goal is to get it right and to the bottom of the loss of the 2 quarts. They put me in a loaner, mentioned they will take their time with the car, compression check & leak checks will be conducted and change of oil. This is when my rep showed up and took over, he assured me he will ensure everything is satisfactory and put my go to tech for the job. I'll keep you guys updated!
"I don't know, we use 5W-20 on all of our cars."

Which dealership is this? I'm just dying to know.

The compression and leak down tests will show if the motor is experiencing some sort of internal failure. I hope that's not the case.

Make sure they put 5W-30 in this engine, if after that they still can't comprehend what that means, my tone of voice would have started rising. $70,000 car, and they don't even know what type of oil to put in it.
Old 08-08-15, 01:20 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Lexus of North Miami. I got a call from the previous rep saying they found a lot of leaves on the radiator? The mechanic thinks this will cause the oil temp to rise as the radiator seems clogged. I'm gonna drop the hammer on these guys tomorrow and call corporate at the same time.
Old 08-09-15, 09:28 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Lexus of North Miami. I got a call from the previous rep saying they found a lot of leaves on the radiator? The mechanic thinks this will cause the oil temp to rise as the radiator seems clogged. I'm gonna drop the hammer on these guys tomorrow and call corporate at the same time.
Tell him to pressure test the cooling system if he thinks the radiator is clogged. It sounds like a bunch of noobs that don't have any clue on how to work on a car. Pretty sad they work for a Lexus dealership, they sound like Jiffy Lube material.

What a bunch of idiots, I can't believe this is the service department at a Lexus Dealership. Put the review on yelp.

When a dealership has 39 reviews and an average of 3 stars, there is something wrong.

Some other guy recommended JM Lexus in Margate, I am not familiar with Florida, maybe you can take it over there?

Find another dealership or a garage that specializes in Toyota/Lexus.

Last edited by 2URGSE; 08-09-15 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-09-15, 09:31 AM
2URGSE
Racer

http://www.yelp.com/biz/toyoworks-se...xus+dealership

http://www.yelp.com/biz/specialty-ca...xus+dealership
Old 08-09-15, 03:57 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

So I picked up the car yesterday! The dealership ordered Castrol GTX 5w-30 and replaced the oil. They went over the numbers with me as far as mileage and oil consumption is concerned. Everything checked within specs according to what they explained. At this point ill take it as a blessing in disguise, I didn't press them for further action as I thought to myself, if they could n't even properly service the oil. I think it would be a terrible idea for them to further service my car. Unfortunately, the timing has been off as my go to mechanic at that dealership wasn't available. I made arrangements to try and get the vehicle to my original purchased dealership. Its just a long way out, but it might turn out enjoyable if they can get this rectified. As I drove home, waited for the oil to warm up I switched it to manual and again it happened, The funny thing is I wasn't beating on it at all, I made sure to simply make the switch, paddle shift and observe what happens. I confirmed as well, the bottom portion of the radiator is completely clogged with leaves...during my break at work last night. I managed to take the upper panel apart and used mechanical fingers, blower, and vacuum to try and get them off, but my time ran out and i think i only managed to remove 20/100%. Also, when i paddle shifted I kept it under 100mph and the gauges began to move 3 bars over, It takes less than 3 to 5 mins tops. On a different run, im in auto and sports mode and i'm going at speeds well over 130mph...I50 tops and the gauge always remain 1 bar before the middle.
Old 08-09-15, 04:59 PM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Your car will be fine. The bearing clearances on the 1 and 3UR motors that spec 0W20 are the same as the as the 2UR.
Old 08-09-15, 05:56 PM
2URGSE
Racer

So I picked up the car yesterday! The dealership ordered Castrol GTX 5w-30 and replaced the oil. They went over the numbers with me as far as mileage and oil consumption is concerned. Everything checked within specs according to what they explained. At this point ill take it as a blessing in disguise, I didn't press them for further action as I thought to myself, if they could n't even properly service the oil. I think it would be a terrible idea for them to further service my car. Unfortunately, the timing has been off as my go to mechanic at that dealership wasn't available. I made arrangements to try and get the vehicle to my original purchased dealership. Its just a long way out, but it might turn out enjoyable if they can get this rectified. As I drove home, waited for the oil to warm up I switched it to manual and again it happened, The funny thing is I wasn't beating on it at all, I made sure to simply make the switch, paddle shift and observe what happens. I confirmed as well, the bottom portion of the radiator is completely clogged with leaves...during my break at work last night. I managed to take the upper panel apart and used mechanical fingers, blower, and vacuum to try and get them off, but my time ran out and i think i only managed to remove 20/100%. Also, when i paddle shifted I kept it under 100mph and the gauges began to move 3 bars over, It takes less than 3 to 5 mins tops. On a different run, im in auto and sports mode and i'm going at speeds well over 130mph...I50 tops and the gauge always remain 1 bar before the middle.
Sooooo they put 5W-30 oil in the car, and told you that 2 qrtz are ok to lose and sent you on the way? They didn't even clean the radiator? I would never go back to that dealership again if I were you. What happened to the compression/leak down tests they promised?

Find another mechanic and have them pressure test and check the cooling system to see if it's not functioning correctly. I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but if there's something wrong with the cooling system and the engine is running hotter than usual, the oil is going to get to some higher degrees and maybe even burn.

Have someone check the oil cooler as well.
Old 08-11-15, 04:05 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Alright, here's another disappointing update...as if things couldn't get worse. This morning, when I was leaving work my car wouldn't start. I called roadside, roadside came like 1 1/2 later. Jump started the battery and got me on my way. I had an appointment at Lexus Of Kendall in which I was already late and it's where I purchased my car from. I explained what happened at the other dealership...the best they did is get me in my car with a master tech. The master tech drove it and guess what? Nothing happened! Oil temp stayed within bounds....I'm so tired and frustrated at the issue. They determined it's okay and no further action is required. He took a look at the radiator and said it wasn't a big deal...that if it was clogged I would have had CEL on the dash. The F is covered until 2018. They switched my battery and they sent me on my way...the whole ride home was interesting because I was confident the gauge remained intact until I got off the highway...I looked at the gauge and it climbed 1 bar over to the middle. 2urgse I thank you dearly! I showed both dealerships this thread and nothing! The best thing im gonna do, is make the switch soon to redline. The car runs strong as ever!
Old 08-11-15, 04:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Alright, here's another disappointing update...as if things couldn't get worse. This morning, when I was leaving work my car wouldn't start. I called roadside, roadside came like 1 1/2 later. Jump started the battery and got me on my way. I had an appointment at Lexus Of Kendall in which I was already late and it's where I purchased my car from. I explained what happened at the other dealership...the best they did is get me in my car with a master tech. The master tech drove it and guess what? Nothing happened! Oil temp stayed within bounds....I'm so tired and frustrated at the issue. They determined it's okay and no further action is required. He took a look at the radiator and said it wasn't a big deal...that if it was clogged I would have had CEL on the dash. The F is covered until 2018. They switched my battery and they sent me on my way...the whole ride home was interesting because I was confident the gauge remained intact until I got off the highway...I looked at the gauge and it climbed 1 bar over to the middle. 2urgse I thank you dearly! I showed both dealerships this thread and nothing! The best thing im gonna do, is make the switch soon to redline. The car runs strong as ever!
Red Line is difficult to find if you run low, and my experience with Mobil 1 and the used oil analyses overthe entire life of my engine lead me to believe it is more than adequate for this application.

If your radiator is clogged with leaves, you need to get it 100% clean. Period. This radiator works fine when it is clean, but if it is blocked, it will not deliver the goods. Make sure it is cleaned out completely before you make anymore suppositions about what might be the problem.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp Worry