IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Oil Temp Worry

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 05:32 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Red Line is difficult to find if you run low, and my experience with Mobil 1 and the used oil analyses overthe entire life of my engine lead me to believe it is more than adequate for this application.

If your radiator is clogged with leaves, you need to get it 100% clean. Period. This radiator works fine when it is clean, but if it is blocked, it will not deliver the goods. Make sure it is cleaned out completely before you make anymore suppositions about what might be the problem.
Thanks Lobuxracer, will do...
Old 08-12-15, 06:06 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Alright, here's another disappointing update...as if things couldn't get worse. This morning, when I was leaving work my car wouldn't start. I called roadside, roadside came like 1 1/2 later. Jump started the battery and got me on my way. I had an appointment at Lexus Of Kendall in which I was already late and it's where I purchased my car from. I explained what happened at the other dealership...the best they did is get me in my car with a master tech. The master tech drove it and guess what? Nothing happened! Oil temp stayed within bounds....I'm so tired and frustrated at the issue. They determined it's okay and no further action is required. He took a look at the radiator and said it wasn't a big deal...that if it was clogged I would have had CEL on the dash. The F is covered until 2018. They switched my battery and they sent me on my way...the whole ride home was interesting because I was confident the gauge remained intact until I got off the highway...I looked at the gauge and it climbed 1 bar over to the middle. 2urgse I thank you dearly! I showed both dealerships this thread and nothing! The best thing im gonna do, is make the switch soon to redline. The car runs strong as ever!
Man what is up with these dealerships in Florida...........

Get the radiator cleaned as suggested, find someone who can take care of it, if not take care of it yourself.

Can you take a photo of the gauge reading today after driving the car on the highway (before you shut it off please)

Also, keep checking the oil level.
Old 09-04-15, 06:39 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

UPDATE:

Hi everyone! I apologize for not updating this thread sooner. I was busy between work and testing out the vehicle. After getting corporate involved, Lexus went ahead and approved a full radiator flush/ cleanup. I finally got my go to technician to work on my car and squashed any past misunderstandings with the dealership. They kept my car for almost a week but really completed the work in a day or two. The technician removed the entire radiator, cleaned out the massive amount of debris and leaves. He found air pockets in the cooling system, which were cleared, a full engine diagnostics was completed. Everything checked out okay. Everything was within parameters. I was very excited to pick up the car, as I thought we finally got to the bottom of everything. I didn't waste anytime taking the vehcile on the highway and opening it up. After oil temp was within ops temp. I switched to manual and started paddle shifting...to my disappointment it did it again. The meter moved a bar over...

I took the car back after a few days of test driving it...I expressed my concern and suggested to change the oil, once again. This time I provided them with the oil myself. Courtesy, of user name 2URGSE, I decided to try REDLINE motor oil. I test drove the vehcile and had the same results . I had a long extensive one on one talk with the technician, he reassured me my F is fine. Something that ran across my mind, that he brought up was perhaps in manual mode when the car is being pushed hard. I never noticed the meter going up since I'm busy with my eyes on the road. Which is true, I can't recall really paying attention to the meter because in my mind, I could have sworn it stays 1 bar before the middle, ALWAYS. Either way, I felt the technician and corporate were really cooperative in resolving my issue. The tech also applauded me for driving my F the way it should be driven! In fact he wants me to push the car even more...until I can actually take the normal oil op temp beyond its limits where it's actually overheating...there's nothing to be done. My F has 50k miles, I have another 50k bumper to bumper. Aside from the additional oil and oil change, I paid absolutely nothing. I'm grateful for them for coming through and grateful for everyone here for chiming in! I have 10k left before the 60k valve lash check...Until then, I plan to enjoy it! Let me add, this redline motor oil has my engine running a lot smoother! The idle is unbelievablely quiet, it doesn't feel sluggish or tired...WOT feels absolutely rich! And strong! Thank you so much 2URGSE!
Old 09-04-15, 07:29 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Red Line is great oil. It's just a lot harder to find than Mobil 1. I run it in my Supra and I would run it in anything with a turbocharger because it tolerates heat better than most from my experience.

Many years ago when I had an '88 Corolla GTS, I switched to Red Line because we were using it in the race bikes at the shop. I noticed a small but measurable improvement in fuel economy (I was tracking it very carefully for a few years). Then I had a problem one time while out on the road and was unable to find an immediate source for Red Line, and decided Mobil 1 was a better choice simply because I can find it in any Walmart, and should I be on a road trip, I can always find a Walmart.
Old 09-04-15, 10:15 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Oil Temp Worry

Dude I've pushed mine to where the oil temp light came on while on track . LOL Its normal for the ISF and if you want an oil cooler , RR Racing has a great kit
Old 09-04-15, 01:41 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Let me add, this redline motor oil has my engine running a lot smoother! The idle is unbelievably quiet, it doesn't feel sluggish or tired...WOT feels absolutely rich! And strong! Thank you so much 2URGSE!

Glad I was able to help to some degree.

Also glad to hear the dealership finally got their act together and took the time to clean/inspect everything.
Old 09-04-15, 01:42 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Red Line is great oil. It's just a lot harder to find than Mobil 1. I run it in my Supra and I would run it in anything with a turbocharger because it tolerates heat better than most from my experience.

Many years ago when I had an '88 Corolla GTS, I switched to Red Line because we were using it in the race bikes at the shop. I noticed a small but measurable improvement in fuel economy (I was tracking it very carefully for a few years). Then I had a problem one time while out on the road and was unable to find an immediate source for Red Line, and decided Mobil 1 was a better choice simply because I can find it in any Walmart, and should I be on a road trip, I can always find a Walmart.
You don't even have to leave the house to find RedLine.

You can order it via Amazon Prime and it will be at your doorstep in 2 days.
Old 09-04-15, 05:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
You don't even have to leave the house to find RedLine.

You can order it via Amazon Prime and it will be at your doorstep in 2 days.
When your oil level light comes on unexpectedly far from anywhere you can pick up a quart, 2 days is an eternity.