IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Starter? Car fails to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-18, 07:46 AM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF2NV
I personally wouldn't risk it says oem standard duralast is like ac delco would you really want those parts on your japanese made lexus? I surely wouldn't also show 1.2kw rated our cars use 2kw motors just looking for problems down the road. That starter is most likely from china or korea or taiwan... just saying.
Yeah I bought the denso starter instead of that one. Wasn't much of a price difference. $165 of Amazon
Old 01-29-18, 11:36 AM
cha7Li3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kitsune
Got a message from the shop and looks like the header is totally damaged lol. It's missing pieces from the oem header so looks like I will be going headers
Okay just got the same message from my shop. Looks like my passenger side headers is damage as well.
Old 01-29-18, 02:07 PM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by cha7Li3
Okay just got the same message from my shop. Looks like my passenger side headers is damage as well.
Yeah I just went ahead and bought a set from PPE, bought new 02 senors, new figs bushings, and the braided split loom. Just wanted to knock everything out at one time so if something like the OEM header is damaged I don't even have to worry about. ALOT of money up front but once all this is replace I would assume there should be another 100k worry free miles from these items. BTW I got the PPE headers for $1600 out the door with free shipping. They are doing free shipping until the end of the month. Good luck man!
Old 01-31-18, 08:30 AM
cha7Li3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well update on my end, was definitely my starter. My mechanic was able to weld the broken fledge back onto the headers, so I was able to dodge a replacement. Although a very small part of me is somewhat disappointed that I didn't get to upgrade to PPE headers, the 1-2 week wait time for the headers and the fear and worry about smog checking my car puts that disappointment to rest lol.
Old 04-02-18, 01:00 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

I am having the same problem - 100k miles (just a tad over) - I'm 99% sure it's starter - car is being towed to WestSide Lex Service Center right now
Old 05-29-19, 09:35 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Bringing this back up from the dead..

I might switch my headers back to stock and would like to replace the starter as a precaution.
Aside from buying the Denso remanu. part, is there any other part I need to buy, or anything else I need to replace while the headers are out?
Old 05-30-19, 09:19 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 348 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Bringing this back up from the dead..

I might switch my headers back to stock and would like to replace the starter as a precaution.
Aside from buying the Denso remanu. part, is there any other part I need to buy, or anything else I need to replace while the headers are out?
Well when I did my starter since it was starting to fail I did my alternator as well since it’s right there. I bought both denso reman off rockauto and you get a decent chunk back for core deposit. What I did find to be a huge pain was the connector for the starter on mine literally disintegrated as I went to try to unplug it. Also the plastic cover on the piece that connects that looks like a long L fell apart as well and exposes the metal on the L piece. When you see it you’ll know what I’m talking about. Anyway what I did instead of buying that useless Plastic cover was covered it in vulcanizing tape and header wrap. For the plug in connector I had to go to Lexus to buy that piece since I couldn’t clip it in anymore to the starter. That’s honestly what turned it into a 2-3 day job was waiting for that small little plastic clip to come in from the dealer.
Old 05-30-19, 01:48 PM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

GAHHH....

I decide to google search "should I change my ISF starter with headers" and this prompted.

being at 120k... i might as well. even at cost that starter is pricey from dealer, debating on getting a cert Reman for it. cuz...that would be a lot of labor cost right there.
Old 05-30-19, 04:06 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
Well when I did my starter since it was starting to fail I did my alternator as well since it’s right there. I bought both denso reman off rockauto and you get a decent chunk back for core deposit. What I did find to be a huge pain was the connector for the starter on mine literally disintegrated as I went to try to unplug it. Also the plastic cover on the piece that connects that looks like a long L fell apart as well and exposes the metal on the L piece. When you see it you’ll know what I’m talking about. Anyway what I did instead of buying that useless Plastic cover was covered it in vulcanizing tape and header wrap. For the plug in connector I had to go to Lexus to buy that piece since I couldn’t clip it in anymore to the starter. That’s honestly what turned it into a 2-3 day job was waiting for that small little plastic clip to come in from the dealer.
Thanks for the reply, appreciate the advice. Do you know what the part number is for the L piece by chance?
If I don't go with the L plastic piece, I just need to literally tell the mechanic to wrap the entire starter in the vulcanizing tape and header wrap?

Any specific brand for the tape and wrap? Thanks!

Thanks,
Old 05-30-19, 06:42 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Thanks for the reply, appreciate the advice. Do you know what the part number is for the L piece by chance?
If I don't go with the L plastic piece, I just need to literally tell the mechanic to wrap the entire starter in the vulcanizing tape and header wrap?

Any specific brand for the tape and wrap? Thanks!

Thanks,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEI-010476-...0AAOSwTmxciftu
Vulcanizing tape

https://www.ebay.com/p/Toyota-Supra-...iABEgJIVPD_BwE
Connector piece

I would not get the plastic piece because it’s thin and brittle and will happen to you again. I did not wrap the whole starter I just did the L section. The pic I included shows you best. The red L is the piece that connects there and I simply wrapped the exposed metal in the vulcanizing tape and header wrap so it doesn’t contact anything else. The green circle is where the plastic connector that I included in the link goes that fell apart on me due to all the heat it’s exposed to being sandwiched between the header and the block.
The following users liked this post:
kzlflash (05-31-19)
Old 05-30-19, 06:44 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Also the denso off rockauto and the oem are no different. It’s your call if you you want to pay the Lexus premium at the dealer.
kzlflash (05-31-19)
Old 05-30-19, 10:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

The harness cover looks like this part: 82817-53320, but you would be wise to validate this is actually the piece you need.
kzlflash (05-31-19)
Old 05-30-19, 10:58 PM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEI-010476-...0AAOSwTmxciftu
Vulcanizing tape

https://www.ebay.com/p/Toyota-Supra-...iABEgJIVPD_BwE
Connector piece

I would not get the plastic piece because it’s thin and brittle and will happen to you again. I did not wrap the whole starter I just did the L section. The pic I included shows you best. The red L is the piece that connects there and I simply wrapped the exposed metal in the vulcanizing tape and header wrap so it doesn’t contact anything else. The green circle is where the plastic connector that I included in the link goes that fell apart on me due to all the heat it’s exposed to being sandwiched between the header and the block.
I was thinking some gold high heat adhesive...or just go with the wrap?... was thinking the same with the mounts too, to prevent early failure.

Last edited by Wh0pp3r; 05-31-19 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-31-19, 12:18 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Thanks everyone, appreciate the help!
Old 06-03-19, 10:45 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Wondering if anyone knows anyone in Ventura County or in the Valley that has experience in replacing starters for the IS-F. Approaching 100k and will need to get this done rather than it being a surprise and ruining my day...lol.

Quick Reply: Starter? Car fails to start