IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Swift Spring Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-15, 04:51 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Swift Spring Install

Just wanted to thank lobuxracer for posting this info about bushing stabilization, installed swift springs yesterday and this really came in handy!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...e-first-2.html

Bushing stabilization is a bit of a PITA, especially when you're using jack stands, it's a bit time consuming. I raised and lowered the car onto the ground for the front, but for the rear I used lobuxracer's "cheat" (utilizing a jack to do it), which was much easier.
Also, for anyone else doing this, a little tidbit that I haven't seen noted anywhere, and was a bit of a learning curve: the Swift springs WILL NOT line up with the factory upper coil spring insulators. I had to rotate the front upper coil spring insulator 120 degrees to get it to line up as best as possible (I didn't need to rotate the rears, but they won't line up perfectly either).
Maybe this is obvious to others, but it took me one assembly and disassembly to realize my error, which is a pain because I found spring compressors horribly a huge PITA (I was so focused on getting the Swift spring position to match the OEM spring position that I didn't realize by doing so, the bottom of the shock absorber won't line up). Other than that and having to work on a Canadian car with many corroded bolts, it's definitely a fun install to do. Definitely a two person job though.
-R
Old 08-25-15, 11:42 AM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to tackle the install on Friday, but I'll have access to a lift. So, to recap: loosen the bolts outlined in red on the diagram while vehicle is in the air on the lift (after installing new springs on struts), then put the vehicle down on the ground to bounce each corner (reseting the bushing), then re-raise the vehicle and tighten the bolts to recommended torque specs? I've done springs on numerous vehicles, but never had to reset bushings before, so this is a little foreign to me.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-15, 02:32 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Exactly. The only step you forgot is, once you've bounced the car and re-raised it, you need to jack up the lower suspension arm until is horizontal, then tighten the bolts (so you're tightening the bolts under load. Having access to a lift should make it a breeze.
Old 08-25-15, 03:47 PM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

You are correct sir. Thanks again.
Old 08-26-15, 08:53 AM
swoo350
Rookie

Hey fnssesport a bit offtopic but did you get your swift springs in Canada? Can't find any vendors that have these here.. CDN-US exchange rate is ****ty AF as you may already know.
Old 08-26-15, 10:16 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,014 Likes on 2,431 Posts

The goal is to have the suspension at normal ride height when you tighten the bolts. That way, you have no worries about the OEM rubber bushing being constantly stressed and breaking down prematurely.

If you are putting in poly bushings, there's nothing to worry about because the metal rotates in the polyurethane so you don't have the same issues. Also true of suspensions with spherical ball joints. No shenanigans at all, just bolt up and tighten.

Thanks for the thumbs up. I am glad you found the info helpful!
Old 08-26-15, 12:11 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by swoo350
Hey fnssesport a bit offtopic but did you get your swift springs in Canada? Can't find any vendors that have these here.. CDN-US exchange rate is ****ty AF as you may already know.
Hey swoo350,
I actually ordered them from FIGS as I have a place in the US i can get them shipped to. I did get a quote from a local (Mississauga) spot, but they quoted $550 and a 3-4 week wait time. Even with the exchange rate, FIGS was much cheaper (at the current rate about $432) and i had them in like 3 days.
-R
Old 02-13-16, 04:02 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Just wanted to pass along a tip that might save anyone some time: you will not need to use the spring compressor to remove the oem springs. I used one for one of my front springs but didn't for the other three. Instead, lay the shock flat and put your foot on top of the lower shock body as you slowly loosen the top nut. Make sure it's pointed away from you, but in my experience, the top hat and spring only moved about an inch or so. No crazy flying springs or anything.

Now, installing the top hats is another story. You probably need a compressor for that.
Old 02-13-16, 04:49 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

+1 on no spring compressor.

As for install, I start tightening the bolt while the suspension is off the car, install the the strut/spring combo and add some of the vehicle weight to compress the spring and the tighten to spec up top.