IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus of Canada - Warranty/Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 09:53 AM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus of Canada - Warranty/Modifications

Lexus of Canada addressed a letter to me stating that they will not do any warranty work on my car due to the current modifications on my car. I have had some very bad service at 2 Lexus dealerships in Canada thus far. I have attached my email to the GM's of these dealerships in regards to the problems that I am having with these dealerships. I will keep you all up to date and informed as to what will happen next... I am very disappointed with the level of service thus far...

My email to 2 GM's of 2 different dealerships of Lexus of Canada:

Steve and Cooper,

Steve,

I picked up my car on Friday afternoon from your dealership. I was given the memo from Lexus Canada regarding warranty work and modifications. As I was driving home, I pulled in to Okotokes as I know the Ford Master Tech there. I had him look at the car for me as I went out for some lunch. Before I even ordered my lunch I got a phone call from the dealership, "Your car has been fixed". I had my lunch and headed back to the dealership, I went in to speak with the tech and he was smiles ear to ear. It took him a whole 9 minutes to fix the car. He says "take it for a test drive so I know your happy with your concerns". The rubbing and clunking noises are gone! The Ford Master Tech told me that when doing turns and you put a little load on the car, the exhaust was shifting a little, a bracket was rubbing against my transmission. My concern with this is that your tech at Lexus clearly states on the invoice that this is a "Normal sound when doing hard turns". Are you kidding me?!?!?! I have attached my invoice so you can read this for yourself, very disappointing. Did he even look for or hear the sound, how can this be normal, you could feel the rubbing in the shifter ***! Aftermarket or not, I took my car to your dealership expecting the best techs trained for this car to look at and service my car, this was not the case I have realized. On another customer service note for you, the Ford dealership did this service "Free of charge". You charged me $144 per hour of work and found NOTHING. Wow, normal noise huh...

Steve and Cooper,

Speaking with a few Ford people at their dealership, they told me that a ton of their cars come in through warranty with modifications on the cars, especially Mustangs. Their policy towards this is if the part was broken by or is an aftermarket part, it is not covered by warranty. If the part is broken and has nothing to do with modifications, it will be covered by warranty. If Lexus of Canada wishes to not touch the car at all until all modifications are removed from the car, then maybe Lexus should consider getting out of the performance car industry. The whole point of owning your own performance car is to have that car the way you want it to be, different from the other guy that owns one. Lexus has clearly made a beautiful product with their F line products, and if you are going to charge your customers $80,000 for a vehicle that I could go to Ford and buy for $50,000 but have millions more on the road, then you need to reconsider what you are trying to accomplish while getting into this part of the industry. If my rear shock is leaking like stated on my invoice, that should be fixed before I leave the dealership with the car, no questions asked! Why would you send this pristine car back out on to the road, fully knowing that something is wrong and has nothing to do with any modifications to the car.

Cooper,

I am very disappointed with the level of communication from your team so far. I have received nothing from your dealership in regards to my warranty besides what Steve has forwarded me in emails. Regardless of weather or not my warranty would be void or not, you have failed to communicate to me why my warranty would have started on July 31st of 2011 when the vehicle was sitting on your lot until April 28th of 2012 with only 20 kilometers on the vehicle. This is very poor customer service in my opinion and as an employee of the Jim Pattison group myself, I would have expected better from your dealership. This is why I purchased my car from your dealership in the first place when I was living in the area. I could have chosen to go to many different Lexus dealers in the area, I chose yours because of the connection. I was trained to "go the extra mile" and give the customer "whatever they want" in customer service. I'm sure from those quotes, you can figure out what part of the Pattison group I work for. I feel you have hidden behind this modification incident and will continue to hide behind it as long as possible so you will not be on the hook for all of the proper warranty work that will need to be done to this vehicle that would have nothing to do with any modifications.

Cooper and Steve, when the customer service department opens on Monday morning. I will most likely be voicing my opinion right to the customer service department at Lexus of Canada about all of this. When I pay roughly $80,000 for a car, I expect top notch service from one of the best quality auto makers in the business. Not this, run around type service that will turn customers away from your product.

Cooper, as a member of the Jim Pattison group, I am considering contacting members of the Jim Pattison Auto Group in regards to this level of customer service. It has been a very disappointing process thus far and the level of communication could have been much better.

Thank you very much for your attention to this matter.

Rob Foster
Old 08-29-15, 11:13 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Ugh...this seems to be going around...don't think you're alone on this one. My F is fully stock and I basically end up calling corporate ALL the time to get what I want. It's a shame, but it always ends up better for us, the consumer getting corporate involved. It's actually more convenient this way, I never deal with the Service Managers at the dealerships. I go over their heads immediately once my service advisor saids to me "your request cannot be completed at this time"...lol...I already know the drill and time to make a few phone calls. Good luck!
Old 08-29-15, 12:02 PM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

A full run around answer so far, nothing good to report from the dealership. Looks more like he is trying to place the blame on me.

My question is... They ask the customer what the problem is, it is still the technicians job to diagnose the problem themselves and correct it. The fact that the technician wrote "normal noise" is beyond outrageous. You stop at any light and take a right turn, that puts a load on the engine and exhaust, enough to make the noise at any time. Its not like its something that happens while taking a corner at 30-60mph!

Yes I did state that the noise was coming from the front right, probably wheel area... I am not a mechanic or technician, that is their job to diagnose properly. Just like the Ford technician did, listened to what I told him (exact same) and diagnosed it for himself.

email from Lexus GM...

Rob; my apologies for any miscommunication between the technician, service department, myself and you. The rubbing noise you clearly stated to me was from the right front of your vehicle. This was the area we focused on. We may not have cornered your vehicle hard enough or with enough load to hear anything else from the exhaust and transmission?

The time spent by the technician was valuable and justified to ensure your vehicle was safe based on your concerns and feedback! I am sure we spent more time than you were charged based on fairness to you. The service department spent more than two hours as I know I have spent that much time addressing your concerns, and happy to do so. As for the warranty, I expressed that if your warranty is indeed in place we would warranty anything we possibly could under the circumstances. Please include all the emails sent by me to yourself in any correspondence so Lexus will have a fair understanding of our stores commitment to your needs.

All the best;

Steve
Old 08-29-15, 01:01 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

The best advice as far as the technician is concerned. Ask your dealership who specializes more on the F model itself? I was fortunate the dealership I service the car in has a guy who loves the IS F, doesn't own one but has a friend who does. I introduced myself to him in the service bay and befriended him so to speak. As a matter of fact im dealing with an issue myself that finally my go to tech was finally able to tackle my car. From the updated phone calls from the dealership my car is finally ready to pick up. I will update that thread early this week, as I'll pick the car up on Tuesday. Again, had the run around from the service dept. they wanted to charge me for labor...etc. I wasn't having it, I called corporate and issue resolved. Even when corporate offers the 50/50 deal, I still press them to cover whatever I need done completely. So far...it's been 9/10 success! Be polite, yet assertive. Let them know you'll jump ship, as there's so much competition. I dislike to resort to that level but yes for an $63k base priced vehcile here in the states, you better treat your customer right! Find the right tech...there's always one! And only request him/her...they work in teams with the service advisors. If you need to change service advisors to get that techs team, then so be it.
Old 08-29-15, 01:17 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't know if this applies to Canada-
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm
Old 08-29-15, 01:57 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
I don't know if this applies to Canada-
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm
It does not.
Old 08-29-15, 03:46 PM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

**UPDATE**

Just got off the phone with the dealership out of Vancouver, my original purchase dealership. He stated that he agrees with me 100%, that anything not broken by a modification should be covered by warranty. He told me to keep going and pursue Lexus of Canada customer service and that any and all work should be done to my vehicle unless broken by modifications. He also stated that he is still working on the process of trying to get my warranty date reinstated to April 28th of 2012 as I am the only owner of the car, the warranty should not have started on July 31st of 2011.

In the GM's own words, it no different than going to buy a Toyota Tundra and putting a 6" lift on it. That would void the warranty of the suspension but it would not void anything within the engine.

#WINNING
Old 08-29-15, 07:57 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which dealerships are you dealing with? I was using Lexus of Calgary but they are junk. Twice I went in for service and it says checked and topped up coolant but the over flow was reading low. The second time I checked before I left and the service advisor argued that's normal they just check the rad, the overflow dosent matter. I said really it's odd Lexus engineers would put a high and low mark I'd it didn't matter. She tried to continue arguing until I said I need to speak to the tech so he can explain it to me. So he came out and filled it, great service I need a 10 min discussion to get a cup of coolant added after their paper work said its been done. Anyway I am due for another service so I might try Royal Oak I met the owner and the service manager at a recent Lexus meet and they seemed to customer orientated and they are much smaller so it's worth a try everything about Calgary Lexus has been a let down so far including the parts department that seems like they just wish you would go away....
Old 08-29-15, 08:32 PM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

Yes, it was Lexus of Calgary. Needless to say, I wont be going back there. Send me a PM when you get your service at Royal Oak and let me know how it went. I would really appreciate it if you would...
Old 08-29-15, 09:17 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was talking with a salesman at Calgary Lexus about a GSF and he was really good he sends me info and keeps in touch without being pushy. Aside from that I don't have anything good to say about them the service and the parts department both a un-impressive. I cringe going to the parts department it was a struggle to order all weather floor mats, a couple times they said they ordered things and they just didn't come in... So I assume they just didn't bother ordering them, it's like they are mad you are even bothering them when you go there.

Last edited by Sylvan; 08-30-15 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-29-15, 09:33 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

^^ I can't say I've had great experiences at the dealerships in Vancouver either guys. It seems the dealerships that get the most traffic have the worst customer service. I guess they could care less if we leave since they're still selling cars and servicing lots of vehicles.

I will note that the parts department here has always been kind to me.
Old 09-01-15, 11:42 AM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

**UPDATE #2**

Email from Lexus of Canada:

Dear Mr. Foster:

Thank you for your most recent correspondence.

Your file, bearing case number 2408814, is being sent to our Review team and pending the outcome of our review with your dealership, you may expect a call back from a member of our Review Team.

Sincerely,

Taylor Rooyakkers
Customer Interaction Centre
Lexus Division
Old 09-09-15, 06:08 PM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

***UPDATE*** Was contacted by a manager at Lexus of Canada in Toronto today. My warranty will be extended to the proper date and was also told by the manager that "Any modifications to a specific part would void a warranty on such part. If the part is broken and has nothing to do with a modification, it is still under warranty". My leaking shock should be fixed no questions asked.

I also spoke with the lady about my service in question at the dealership and how a Ford dealership fixed my car for me. She will be looking into this issue further for me.

For the Calgary guys here, she stated that she gets more compliments about Lexus of Calgary than most dealerships, she said they are one of the best in the region. I told her that I am most likely not going back to them as the relationship has been broken. I am now forced to drive an extra hour each way to take my business to Royal Oak Lexus. I told her I would rather take my car to the Toyota dealership here in Lethbridge... LOL...
Old 09-09-15, 09:40 PM
BJM2014
Pit Crew

Hi Steve, I am in Vancouver and have not had any problems on with my 2009, with Joe Z PDS exhaust and Takeda Intake. When changing the rear axle fluid recently they did charge me 1/2 extra labour noting the exhaust was not factory and had be dropped for access. What mods have you done that are so up set with.
Old 09-10-15, 07:51 AM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BJM2014
Hi Steve, I am in Vancouver and have not had any problems on with my 2009, with Joe Z PDS exhaust and Takeda Intake. When changing the rear axle fluid recently they did charge me 1/2 extra labour noting the exhaust was not factory and had be dropped for access. What mods have you done that are so up set with.
Nitrous and Headers

Quick Reply: Lexus of Canada - Warranty/Modifications