IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is downshifting bad for tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-15, 06:59 PM
parasitius
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason these threads never make any freaking sense in my mind is that no one mentions - every time you floor it - you are downshifting!! If you could some how floor it to cause the shift, but then decide not to add power (which power is stress ON TOP of just the downshift alone) you'd have the same effect as just downshifting and you'd start slowing. So how is downshifting alone any different than downshifting and not adding gas? Not. In other words it should be less wear and tear than using the car the way you do every day when you WOT

Otherwise, you guys who advise people against it should also be consistent in your philosophy and say that one should never floor it either
Old 09-07-15, 07:27 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by parasitius
The reason these threads never make any freaking sense in my mind is that no one mentions - every time you floor it - you are downshifting!! If you could some how floor it to cause the shift, but then decide not to add power (which power is stress ON TOP of just the downshift alone) you'd have the same effect as just downshifting and you'd start slowing. So how is downshifting alone any different than downshifting and not adding gas? Not. In other words it should be less wear and tear than using the car the way you do every day when you WOT

Otherwise, you guys who advise people against it should also be consistent in your philosophy and say that one should never floor it either
I think they're talking about being on Manual mode...yes in auto when you WOT, it will find the right gear and slowing down on auto mode will gradually change on the right gear. I think they're talking about rev.matching as well...
Old 09-13-15, 08:09 PM
parasitius
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chris07is
I think they're talking about being on Manual mode...yes in auto when you WOT, it will find the right gear and slowing down on auto mode will gradually change on the right gear. I think they're talking about rev.matching as well...
Hrm. Okay but that doesn't change my point?

So imagine you are in manual mode and you want to pass. You double tap downshift to drop 2 gears and gain some power and then instantly floor it. The car computer automatically does any necessary rev matching.

If you double down shift in the same way but don't add power, while in manual mode, as if you were going to pass but changed your mind... then car will instantly begin slowing due to being in a lower gear. So it is the logical equivalent, I believe, to say every time you WOT you are doing the same "transmission damage" of using your transmission as brakes.
Old 09-14-15, 05:32 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

"you are in manual mode and you want to pass. You double tap downshift to drop 2 gears and gain some power and then instantly floor it. "

This is what I do all the time!...lmfao! Puts a happy grin on my face all the time too! I'm sure when you track the F in manual mode, you downshift all the time as well to sweep and get out of a tight curve...plus on a track you probably will never go near all 8 gears anyways. The F should be driven for what it was built for.
Old 09-14-15, 09:16 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Lol, this is a hilarious thread. You know the ISF is a great car if we are trying to imagine future problems , that are actually not problems nor have ever been problems but we are worried that we could maybe have these arbitrary problems.
It's even funnier because this weekend I was talking to a E60 M5 owner and he was telling me how his SMG blew at 45K and he was expecting it to happen again, since it was so common. He also continued to tell me how he occasionally needed to check or replace the rod bearings. This is on a "hellaflush" garage queen street car, not a time attack track car or fully built race car BTW. I wanted to tell him "In the ISF community we just imagine potential future problems and how we would prevent these non-existent problems, but I get what your saying man."

BTW, I don't think this is going to hurt the transmission any more than any other downshifting, the point of rev matching is to match the engine speed with transmission to prevent damage or unnecessary wear. I guess theoretically it could cause more wear than say leaving it in "D" and having it downshift at a lower speed, but in the long run I don't think it will make a big difference. In-fact I think the F does a better job rev-matching (in M mode) at higher speeds, than lower speeds, where it tends to just "clunk" into gear.

I drive my manual cars by rev-matching or heel-toe rev-matching depending on the situation, so I'm def going to drive the ISF that way when I feel like it.
Old 09-14-15, 10:54 AM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Piston1047
Lol, this is a hilarious thread. You know the ISF is a great car if we are trying to imagine future problems , that are actually not problems nor have ever been problems but we are worried that we could maybe have these arbitrary problems.
It's even funnier because this weekend I was talking to a E60 M5 owner and he was telling me how his SMG blew at 45K and he was expecting it to happen again, since it was so common. He also continued to tell me how he occasionally needed to check or replace the rod bearings. This is on a "hellaflush" garage queen street car, not a time attack track car or fully built race car BTW. I wanted to tell him "In the ISF community we just imagine potential future problems and how we would prevent these non-existent problems, but I get what your saying man."

Ha. I agree with this. It's like asking what's worse for the car: not driving it because you don't want to damage it or actually doing more harm by not driving it.
Old 09-15-15, 05:14 PM
LukeRich
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hahahaf
pads are to stop. not trannys
engine breaking is real
Old 09-16-15, 07:42 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I use paddle shifters all the time. It's build to be driven hard.
Old 09-20-15, 09:23 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Originally Posted by bbong
I use paddle shifters all the time. It's build to be driven hard.
It is so addictive. I can only drive in MANUAL though. If I leave it in drive I always shift into neutral because I am always in manual mode. I hate that ****. I miss the M3 for that, but I don't miss the headaches. I never realized in auto the car does downshift. So I guess it is safe.