IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thinking about Adams rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-15, 10:39 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thinking about Adams rotors

So my rotors need replacing in the next couple thousand miles and I'm going to give adams rotors a try. My question is which pattern do I go for? I'm trying to decide between the slotted, double slotted, and double slotted & dimpled rotors. I'm looking for a set of rotors that will last longer than the OEM ones and have the same stopping power, if not better. Also I do wan't to go to the track sometime (but i'm not sure when). My first choice is the AR Track double slotted and dimpled rotors, but what do you guys think? I'm no brake guru so any insight is much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Old 10-01-15, 11:27 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

I had the dimpled on my X5M they looked awesome but made a swooshing noise you could hear when driving with your windows down.... Aside from that no complaints.
They also took about 3x as long as Adam said they would and they weren't finished like I wanted. Overall his service was poor but I think they had to buy stock X5M rotors and dimple them because his supplier couldn't make them so maybe it was an isolated incident

Name:  imagejpg1_zps08f4e402.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  45.6 KB
Old 10-02-15, 07:52 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe this forum has a number of negative experiences with that particular vendor.
Old 10-02-15, 10:26 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,365 Posts

I have Adams Rotors on the front of my F. My experiences are outlined below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nt-rotors.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-brakes-2.html

I still have them on my car, and with my Ferodo DS2500 Pads (obtained from Forum vendor SpeedFreaksUSA) they provide very powerful performance. They are still true and are wearing very well.

However, because of my past experiences with the flaking paint on the hats, the substandard packaging they were shipped with and the, IMHO, extremely poor customer service from the vender I cannot recommend them.

If you do decide to go with them, I recommend against paying extra for the painting of the hats.

Lou
Old 10-02-15, 11:24 AM
2010ISF
Driver

Thanks for the tips guys! So what rotors have you guys had good experiences with or which ones would you guys recommend?
Old 10-02-15, 11:44 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Stick with Stock ones.. Or go for a bigger name.
Old 10-02-15, 11:58 AM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the double slotted rotors and I think it is quite aggressive and aesthetically pleasing. While Adams screwed up my order also, they rectified that by sending me the right ones. They had sent me the wrong pattern.

I have had them on for a year. They haven't warped or anything like that at all. Still true. Only thing I noticed with my current brake set up, everytime I wash my wheels, it leaves a coating on my rotors. Not sure if it's the pads or the rotors themselves but they leave a hard coating and it's a pain to get off. You really have to get on the brakes hard a good few times to clear them off. If you don't, it feels like the rotor is just warped.

I use stoptech pads with the Adams rotors. Do any of you have this issue after washing your wheels with the stoptech pads?
Old 10-02-15, 12:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by jum3
I don't like the stock rotors because they are drilled, and IMO, those holes can crack or become filled with junk. A much better choice is a slotted design. There has to be a reason Lexus abandoned drilled rotors on the RCF in favor of slotted. As I said I'm pleased with my Adams slotted rotors now that I've had them for awhile, but I will never buy from them again.

An alternative might be these:

http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-11676395...plxdf9309.html

I know they are expensive, but CL members do get a discount.

Lou
Old 10-02-15, 01:00 PM
2010ISF
Driver

So when going for rotors should I look for just slotted or should I go with dimpled & slotted since drilled are known to crack/warp
Old 10-02-15, 05:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,043 Likes on 2,449 Posts

What do you want the brakes to do besides stop the wheels? From your comments it seems appearance is important to you as well. Also, how will you use them? Street only?
Old 10-02-15, 08:52 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Well appearance is on my list but my main priority is to have some that perform the same or better than the OEM rotors. I do want to go to the track every now and then so I need a pattern that will that is well suited for track and street use.
Old 10-02-15, 10:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jum3
Old 10-02-15, 10:34 PM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your not road racing the stock rotors will do everything you need them to do. If your going to spend money on performance pads and rotors then save and buy a higher quality part. I personally like the slotted rotors as you don't lose as much contact area with the pad. If I was the slightest bit concerned about brake cooling you can be sure I wouldn't expect a slotted or drilled rotor to do the job alone, there would be some brake cooling ducts and hose installed for sure.
Old 10-03-15, 10:33 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,043 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010ISF
Well appearance is on my list but my main priority is to have some that perform the same or better than the OEM rotors. I do want to go to the track every now and then so I need a pattern that will that is well suited for track and street use.
Holes and slots do not improve cooling, and actually reduce thermal capacity. There are reasons for holes, but they are not for cooling, and on iron rotors, they are really only for appearance.

The OEM rotors are very capable at the track, the only problem is they have the same problem all drilled/holed rotors have - they crack sooner than blanks or slotted rotors. On a track where brakes are heavily taxed they will crack beyond limits in a few weekends. Other tracks, not so much, but still will not outlast blanks or slotted rotors.

Rotor performance is really about longevity. While there are some differences in alloys, they are all cast iron, and the only real differences are how they are vented. The surface friction differences can be solved with pad selection, so the real question is, how long do you want them to last under severe use? You will be hard pressed to beat the OEM rotors without spending a lot more money up front.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-03-15 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-03-15, 05:05 PM
toky916
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the new rotor double slot Painted black. No issue with the paint anymore and they do really well in extreme heat with mutiple triple digit Stops. I'm happy with them.

Quick Reply: Thinking about Adams rotors