IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

test drove an IS F today

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 11:08 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EyeSF
thanks to everyone for their inputs. Very helpful with different viewpoints. Still leaning toward ISF.
Kiryu, IS350 is floaty? You are right. I am used to direct responsive rides. Looks like I will be unhappy with IS350. Doesnt matter with no low end torque. The S2000 has no torque to speak of but it's fun because you get to rev it.
Pie, still waiting for details in PM. Thanks.
EyeSF i was looking at that ISF and was thinking of going down there to check it out. I live up in Sacramento and have been looking for an ISF for a few months now. I somewhat lol'd when i saw the supercharged emblem as well. That car was perfect for me but my best friend has the same color so that would have been weird if I would have gone for the NG.. I have been lucky to have my good friend who left me the keys to his F while he was out of the country for a month to really get familiar with the car before my purchase. I fell in love with the car.. and said i have to have one!!

So i found a 2011 and i have to fly to Texas to get it on Friday. Ill be posting my intro post probably on monday when i get home from driving x-country... so stay tuned.. it a sexy beast!! :P

GL with your purchase i hope you find something.
Old 10-07-15, 06:14 PM
EyeSF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tas02
OP: what about your board name?
I'm in eye care and work near San Francisco. Therefore saying out loud "Eye Ess Eff" has two meanings: ISF (the car) and Eye SF (the work/location).
I thought it was a little clever play on the car's name....
Old 10-07-15, 06:19 PM
EyeSF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tokenblkgy
EyeSF i was looking at that ISF and was thinking of going down there to check it out. I live up in Sacramento and have been looking for an ISF for a few months now. I somewhat lol'd when i saw the supercharged emblem as well. That car was perfect for me but my best friend has the same color so that would have been weird if I would have gone for the NG.. I have been lucky to have my good friend who left me the keys to his F while he was out of the country for a month to really get familiar with the car before my purchase. I fell in love with the car.. and said i have to have one!!

So i found a 2011 and i have to fly to Texas to get it on Friday. Ill be posting my intro post probably on monday when i get home from driving x-country... so stay tuned.. it a sexy beast!! :P

GL with your purchase i hope you find something.
congrats on your acquisition.
Hoping to get one soon but really in no hurry. May get one next week or next few months. My DD is fine for now. Just want to spice things up / get something different.
Old 10-07-15, 09:39 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrd916
With the cold weather coming up ur gonna want to have the ball bearings in the supercharger thermalized. Have the dealer show u they have done this, it's part of a TSB recall. I know these special edition supercharged IS-F cars can be tricky. Many of us owned one but like me a lot of guys just traded it in for a regular one.
Are you just being a smart @$$? LOL
Old 10-07-15, 09:41 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by Tokenblkgy
EyeSF i was looking at that ISF and was thinking of going down there to check it out. I live up in Sacramento and have been looking for an ISF for a few months now. I somewhat lol'd when i saw the supercharged emblem as well. .
Maybe he put one of those propelors inside the intake......
Old 10-07-15, 09:45 PM
2URGSE
Racer

I remember shopping around and going to Magnassun's Lexus many times over. Not really the dealer on the top of my list. I would keep looking around. Pretty rare car, you may have to go out of State.

If you don't want to drive cross country, let me know, I can give you a referral on car transport. I had my ISF transported from CA to NC and it arrived within a week without a scratch on it, enclosed trailer for $1600.

There are quite a few cars in Texas.

Serramonte Lexus is where I got mine, just off I-280, exit 46 if I remember correctly. (Damn, living in CA for 21 years, some things are never forgotten) Norm Gilbert was my Salesman, pretty good guy.

Don't expect any discounts on this car beyond $300.
Old 10-07-15, 09:49 PM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go for the IS-F.... IS350 is a great car! But IS-F is truly something else at least for the Lexus' line up as long as you don't count the LFA. If money is not an issue then go for it. If you lean on getting an IS250/350, and actually ended up getting them... I think you may possibly have this thing called "buyer's remorse".

I was in Milpitas meet two Fridays ago and met a couple of S2000 owners. But I drove my Lexus SC300 when I went there. Anyhow.... I, myself, own a Honda S2000 which is undoubtedly and truly a fun car to drive, you can't go wrong specially if your hitting some serious curves. IS-F can tackle the curves but not as fun as our S2k. But the power of an IS-F can compensate for the lack of cornering capabilities when comparing it to an S2K. But as soon as you exit those corners... and that power I'm referring to... will yield a "devilishly" smile on your face.

You do have options such as BMW/Benz's. But you pretty much know the answer to that. Again if money isn't an issue then get it. IS-F is really a rock solid car!
Let me add: Either an IS-F or a Porsche or nothing. GTRs on the other hand.. that's debatable.

Last edited by SaintLexus; 10-07-15 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-07-15, 09:56 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by SaintLexus

But the power of IS-F can compensate for the lack of cornering capabilities when comparing it to an S2K. But as soon as you exit those corners... the power that the IS-F brings will always put a "devilishly" smile on your face.
I went up against a modded 2009 STi, Bernel on-ramp to 680 NB, he whips around the turn and I'm after him, I was surprised my car did fairly well on the turn, although he gained up on me. I believe his car was stage 2, possibly even tuned, which is what I used to have, so I knew what i was going up against.

I get out of the turn and he's almost at the top of the ramp.

Open up the 5.0...............

I was on him within seconds, he's gunning it and I'm about to walk away from him but there was too much traffic.

Definitely great with the straight line. Don't bother with the IS350.
Old 10-07-15, 10:11 PM
EyeSF
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
I remember shopping around and going to Magnassun's Lexus many times over. Not really the dealer on the top of my list. I would keep looking around. Pretty rare car, you may have to go out of State.

If you don't want to drive cross country, let me know, I can give you a referral on car transport. I had my ISF transported from CA to NC and it arrived within a week without a scratch on it, enclosed trailer for $1600.

There are quite a few cars in Texas.

Serramonte Lexus is where I got mine, just off I-280, exit 46 if I remember correctly. (Damn, living in CA for 21 years, some things are never forgotten) Norm Gilbert was my Salesman, pretty good guy.

Don't expect any discounts on this car beyond $300.
I'm in Norcal and there are 17 cars within 500miles listed on cars.com right now. Likely not have to go very far. Also, not sure if purchasing a car without seeing it in person is something I'm comfortable with.
Have not started negotiating yet but only a few hundreds off? really? Still, doesn't hurt to try....
Old 10-07-15, 10:18 PM
2URGSE
Racer

I'm in Norcal and there are 17 cars within 500miles listed on cars.com right now. Likely not have to go very far. Also, not sure if purchasing a car without seeing it in person is something I'm comfortable with.
Have not started negotiating yet but only a few hundreds off? really? Still, doesn't hurt to try....
That's good then, you don't have to go too far.

I wouldn't buy it without seeing it either, I was just mentioning it because there were a few on ebay from the same Texas Dealership, so if you wanted a particular color, it probably would have been worth the plane ride.

I shopped around for almost a year, tried every trick in the book (even with the used IS-F's), visited multiple dealerships, left the whole project alone for a while, didn't get many call backs and they didn't budge on the price. Beverly Hills Lexus even told me I was "looking at the wrong car, and maybe I should consider an IS350".

After a year or so, I realized where I was standing. I got a call just before New Year's 2013 from Serramonte they had the car I wanted on the ship. I told them "don't even bother putting it on the showroom floor, I'm coming to pick it up". 01/05/2013 I was there with my trade in and down-payment. Drove it home evening. Couldn't even fall asleep the rest of the night, kept going to the garage to stare at it. It only took me 6 years.

I bought my IS-F brand new just a tad over invoice and that's the best I could get. They made some money on my trade, so I suppose that was helpful.

You probably already know this car is not a dime a dozen, and that's how it works with this car.

Good luck with the purchase. Let us know how things go.

Last edited by 2URGSE; 10-07-15 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-07-15, 10:19 PM
EyeSF
Rookie

Originally Posted by SaintLexus
Go for the IS-F.... IS350 is a great car! But IS-F is truly something else at least for the Lexus' line up as long as you don't count the LFA. If money is not an issue then go for it. If you lean on getting an IS250/350, and actually ended up getting them... I think you may possibly have this thing called "buyer's remorse".

I was in Milpitas meet two Fridays ago and met a couple of S2000 owners. But I drove my Lexus SC300 when I went there. Anyhow.... I, myself, own a Honda S2000 which is undoubtedly and truly a fun car to drive, you can't go wrong specially if your hitting some serious curves. IS-F can tackle the curves but not as fun as our S2k. But the power of an IS-F can compensate for the lack of cornering capabilities when comparing it to an S2K. But as soon as you exit those corners... and that power I'm referring to... will yield a "devilishly" smile on your face.

You do have options such as BMW/Benz's. But you pretty much know the answer to that. Again if money isn't an issue then get it. IS-F is really a rock solid car!
Let me add: Either an IS-F or a Porsche or nothing. GTRs on the other hand.. that's debatable.
If you go to milpitas Friday meets, we may have met. I show up 2-3x/year either in a yellow S2000 with CF hardtop or a red challenge stradale. I always park with the S2000 crowd. My handle on S2ki is S2020.

Hopefully the next time I come will be in an ISF.
Old 10-12-15, 12:27 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go to milpitas Friday meets, we may have met. I show up 2-3x/year either in a yellow S2000 with CF hardtop or a red challenge stradale. I always park with the S2000 crowd. My handle on S2ki is S2020.

Hopefully the next time I come will be in an ISF.
I had no idea there were Friday meets in Milpitas, I'm down there usually killing time at great mall waiting for traffic to die before I head back to Sac . Ill have to swing by and check you guys out..

EyeSF I sent you a pm!
Old 10-15-15, 09:06 AM
EyeSF
Rookie

It starts pretty late, usually after 9pm - not sure if traffic is bad till that late. Started about 10 years ago. I used to go a lot more but life is pretty busy these days.
thanks for positive msg in PM. Still looking for a new ride....