Old 10-07-15 | 08:02 AM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

in for updates
Old 10-07-15 | 08:26 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There are many tables in the Toyota ECM. Some are base parameters like A/F ratio and ignition timing. Other tables contain target values for sensor readings under specific conditions to ensure the engine is operating as designed. Some of the tables are required to be "open" for updates by EPA and DOT/NHTSA. Toyota only allows access to the tables required by law and burns hard values into the rest of the parameters. So changing something like cam timing is impossible because once the tables are loaded, the ability to reprogram them is severed physically on the CPU. The Denso processor is full custom including the instruction set, and there is no documentation available to the public to understand what is going on with which pins and how to address any change to the system. Add to this all the memory is physically resident on the CPU die, and you have set a pretty high bar for anyone who would like to directly access the device.

Years ago, it was possible to purchase the CPUs and install a daughterboard with a separate CPU and memory. A company called G-Force in SoCal was doing this for Supras a long time ago. G-Force is now Technosquare. Their top tech at the time, a guy they called Tadashi, had the ability to see the maps, but because no one outside of Toyota had access to the source code or instruction set, it was nearly impossible to decode most of the engine operating parameters. Fuel and timing maps, rev limits, and speed limits were relatively simple to fix. Anything outside that was a much bigger challenge, and in fact, they weren't able to remove the speed limiter, only adjust it to a value the system was unlikely to ever see. Toyota's code has become far more complex in the last 22 years with drive by wire throttles, VVTi, and ECTi, deeper integration with VDIM, and a small host of other features intended to reduce parts count and harness weight.

The original Supra ECMs didn't allow any reflashing at all, and if Toyota had their way, it would be no different today. Write once memory (ROM) is common in embedded systems, and including EEPROM/flash capability is something Toyota did only by force of law.

To ice the cake, they have physically removed the normal routes of access to their CPU, and used an encryption scheme built on its own standard since they have no compelling reason to follow any conventional scheme in applying encryption.
Wow, to say that I had no idea would be an understatement. I am surprised, given all of that, that anyone is capable of doing anything on this platform. The rev-limit thing posted elsewhere in another thread is spoiled by the hysteresis effect programmed in and raising top-speed, while an accomplishment, is useless on public streets.

The next obvious question that comes to mind is can the ECU be fooled? Has anyone been able to alter sensor data in such a way that boosts performance? I am not even sure what to manipulate this way, but it would seem the only way to get the ECU to change what it is doing given the same conditions. I fear that even this would be too hard to do comprehensively given all of the redundancies and # of sensors.

Lastly, why do other manufacturer's make ECU tuning less difficult? Or are they just as difficult, but volumes justify the work involved? My last car, genesis coupe turbo, had limited tuning solutions as well and it is my thought that this will become more common as car systems become more integrated and connected.
Old 10-07-15 | 08:51 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

That sounds like some heavy stuff! Sounds like some of the fortune 500 companies that get hacked into need to hire some engineers from Toyota and utilize their encryption techniques.
Old 10-07-15 | 08:59 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
That sounds like some heavy stuff! Sounds like some of the fortune 500 companies that get hacked into need to hire some engineers from Toyota and utilize their encryption techniques.
Lots of incentive to hack a Fortune 500, not so much an uncommon Toyota ECU.

Originally Posted by Helo58
Lastly, why do other manufacturer's make ECU tuning less difficult? Or are they just as difficult, but volumes justify the work involved? My last car, genesis coupe turbo, had limited tuning solutions as well and it is my thought that this will become more common as car systems become more integrated and connected.
Volumes and gains possible justify it. Cheaper, more available turbo cars are the tuning industry's money maker.
Old 10-07-15 | 09:32 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

RC turbo? will see
Old 10-07-15 | 10:34 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Keep us posted. Very interested and there would be a huge group buy.
Old 10-07-15 | 02:12 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

I still feel the best and most likely option will be something from the SYVECS family.

Funnily enough my F is going on holiday next week to a company called SRD here in the UK. They need my car to help iron out the issues they are having with a Supra that has been fitted with our 8-spd gearbox.

The guys are fitting my coilovers, RR-Racing USRS and giving the car a full alignment free of charge!

The car will be on a dyno most of the week with a guy called Ryan. Ryan is a real ECU guru, and runs 2 bar tuning over here. He also happens to be a SYVECS god, so I'm going to ask if he can take a look whilst they have my F to see what he thinks.

I'll update everyone once I hear anything from him for sure.
Old 10-08-15 | 03:27 AM
zazzn
Instructor

There are many tables in the Toyota ECM. Some are base parameters like A/F ratio and ignition timing. Other tables contain target values for sensor readings under specific conditions to ensure the engine is operating as designed. Some of the tables are required to be "open" for updates by EPA and DOT/NHTSA. Toyota only allows access to the tables required by law and burns hard values into the rest of the parameters. So changing something like cam timing is impossible because once the tables are loaded, the ability to reprogram them is severed physically on the CPU. The Denso processor is full custom including the instruction set, and there is no documentation available to the public to understand what is going on with which pins and how to address any change to the system. Add to this all the memory is physically resident on the CPU die, and you have set a pretty high bar for anyone who would like to directly access the device.

Years ago, it was possible to purchase the CPUs and install a daughterboard with a separate CPU and memory. A company called G-Force in SoCal was doing this for Supras a long time ago. G-Force is now Technosquare. Their top tech at the time, a guy they called Tadashi, had the ability to see the maps, but because no one outside of Toyota had access to the source code or instruction set, it was nearly impossible to decode most of the engine operating parameters. Fuel and timing maps, rev limits, and speed limits were relatively simple to fix. Anything outside that was a much bigger challenge, and in fact, they weren't able to remove the speed limiter, only adjust it to a value the system was unlikely to ever see. Toyota's code has become far more complex in the last 22 years with drive by wire throttles, VVTi, and ECTi, deeper integration with VDIM, and a small host of other features intended to reduce parts count and harness weight.

The original Supra ECMs didn't allow any reflashing at all, and if Toyota had their way, it would be no different today. Write once memory (ROM) is common in embedded systems, and including EEPROM/flash capability is something Toyota did only by force of law.

To ice the cake, they have physically removed the normal routes of access to their CPU, and used an encryption scheme built on its own standard since they have no compelling reason to follow any conventional scheme in applying encryption.
Well he's absolutely right, look at the amount of effort we have put in to cracking the 7mGTE ecu that is nearly 30 years old. Basically, 3-4 guys working on this but have made out most of the code.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...embly-Analysis
Old 10-08-15 | 03:36 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PDP180180
I still feel the best and most likely option will be something from the SYVECS family.

Funnily enough my F is going on holiday next week to a company called SRD here in the UK. They need my car to help iron out the issues they are having with a Supra that has been fitted with our 8-spd gearbox.

The guys are fitting my coilovers, RR-Racing USRS and giving the car a full alignment free of charge!

The car will be on a dyno most of the week with a guy called Ryan. Ryan is a real ECU guru, and runs 2 bar tuning over here. He also happens to be a SYVECS god, so I'm going to ask if he can take a look whilst they have my F to see what he thinks.

I'll update everyone once I hear anything from him for sure.

Sorry to break the news to you , but even SYVECS Didnt touch the engine ecm, all they played with was the transmission computer .
Old 10-08-15 | 06:00 AM
FFM
Racer

Their top tech at the time, a guy they called Tadashi, had the ability to see the maps
Ok not poking fun, but the way you worded this made me immediately think of this lol.

Old 10-08-15 | 08:49 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Oddly that image bears a small resemblance to the screenshots of the 2JZ maps G-Force used to have on their website. They were a Techtom dealer too.
Old 10-13-15 | 12:06 PM
pilsner
Driver School Candidate

The tuner offered dyno before and after with custom map tuning..for free. I did some research and it seems that the magic word is MAGICMOTORSPORT tools. Stay tuned.
http://www.magicmotorsport.com/tag/lexus-denso-896xx/
Old 10-13-15 | 12:52 PM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pilsner
The tuner offered dyno before and after with custom map tuning..for free. I did some research and it seems that the magic word is MAGICMOTORSPORT tools. Stay tuned.
http://www.magicmotorsport.com/tag/lexus-denso-896xx/
So when is this happening?
Old 10-13-15 | 02:02 PM
pilsner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by juanmedina
So when is this happening?
This month Actually we have one more tuner in Estonia who can access Lexus ISF ECU
Tuner said that remaping isnt going to have any great numbers the way to go is to dyno tune (no surprises here).
I have ´11 ISF with deleted secondary cats and custom exhaust after resonator.
I´ll post updates ASAP.

Last edited by pilsner; 10-13-15 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-14-15 | 05:46 AM
bondango
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISF2NV
Sorry to break the news to you , but even SYVECS Didnt touch the engine ecm, all they played with was the transmission computer .

Wrong

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcbdxPBPFkk

its the Only standalone ECU currently running the 2UR-GSE

Quick Reply: IS-F ECU remap in Europe