IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Hawks performance ceramic pads anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 05:26 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
They are similar in price, offer slightly higher friction levels and a wider operating temp range but at the cost of a little more dust and higher potential for noise. The W1 is the main competitor in this price range to the Hawk ceramics or Hawk HPS if low dust is a priority.

-Matt M.
So do the W2's have any better performance gains (aka "bite") than the W1's?
Old 10-20-15, 08:56 AM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They are similar in price, offer slightly higher friction levels and a wider operating temp range but at the cost of a little more dust and higher potential for noise. The W1 is the main competitor in this price range to the Hawk ceramics or Hawk HPS if low dust is a priority.

-Matt M.
how do they compare to OEM pads in terms of bite, brake modulation, etc.
Old 10-20-15, 08:57 AM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

-Matt M.
how do the W2 compare to OEM pads in terms of bite, brake modulation, etc.
Old 10-20-15, 09:08 AM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H1_OFICR
Very interested in this as well.. And a comparison in the amount of dust between the 3 (yes I know oem will have the most but.. )
Originally Posted by empathy
This is what I was asking.. Very interested
Old 10-21-15, 06:59 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
So do the W2's have any better performance gains (aka "bite") than the W1's?
Of course they do. That is generally the the tradeoff- increase performance (friction levels and heat tolerance, mainly) and decrease civility on the street (dust and noise, mainly). All brake pads are a compromise in this regard so you have to find one that focuses on what you prioritize and then determine how much you are willing to sacrifice/compromise elsewhere.

I know it's a little off topic but I think it's worth mentioning since price is almost always a factor. This is another reason you can sometimes see such large difference in price in the more performance oriented or higher end brake pads; simply put they generally sacrifice less on one or both ends of the spectrum. Take for example Endless MX72 vs Winmax W4- both will offer behave similarly on a race track but the Endless pads maintain their street civility while the W4 will dust like crazy and squeal like a pig every time you hit the brakes. The Endless pads are much more expensive at face value but for some its worth it because of how little they compromise on either end of the spectrum.

Low price, low dust, high performance... pick two

Originally Posted by empathy
I haven't personally driven an IS-F with the stock pads loaded in the calipers so I'm not the best person to ask about that but my guess is that they will be fairly similar in terms of performance and dust. I want to say I'd give the nod to the W2 in terms of overall friction but from what I can tell the initial bite of the stock pads might be a little stronger. We aren't taking big differences, though. Where the W2 are stronger is in heat tolerance. Both should be similar in terms of modulation as well. Although there are small differences, no pad with friction levels around these figures should be substantially better or worse to modulate... It doesn't really start to be a big factor or noticeable difference until the friction levels get high, like on a race pad.

This is why I believe the Project Mu NS400 have been so popular. They are a fair but more expensive offer a little higher friction levels than the stock pads and even W2 but still dust about the same or even less than the W1.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 10-21-15 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-22-15, 08:16 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,380 Likes on 633 Posts

I have actually tested the W2's on an ISF. They are very comparable to OEM in bite and feel, with less dust.

NS400's are popular because of the color... and some people seem to thing they are better because the higher price:-) They are also widely available through distributors, so many vendors push them. Otherwise they are a crappy pad for high performance use. They fall apart (figuratively) at the track, even on an ISF which has a more robust brake system than most other applications.

Before you buy crazy expensive pads (like Endless) you need to really ask yourself what are you going to do with the car. There is no point paying 3X for a do-it-all pad when it will wear like crazy at the track (i.e. Endless), or if you never go to the track. Better to have a dedicated pad for that purpose, but for most HPDE applications, a W2 or W3 will hold up very well at most tracks.

What most guys think is brake fade is really overheated brake fluid because they did not bleed the system prior to track day. Even if you bled the system 1-2 months prior to track day, that is not good enough, especially if you use the high temp "racing" fluids, which deteriorate quite fast.

Another alternative for track/street use are the Winmax W3's. We have a local customer with them and he is reporting that they are not noisy when properly bedded in. They dust about the same as stock pads.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 10-22-15, 10:43 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi Rafi, I just purchased a set of the W2's from you. Can you PM me the proper instructions for bedding them correctly? Thanks!!
Old 10-22-15, 02:57 PM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RRRacing
I have actually tested the W2's on an ISF. They are very comparable to OEM in bite and feel, with less dust.

NS400's are popular because of the color... and some people seem to thing they are better because the higher price:-) They are also widely available through distributors, so many vendors push them. Otherwise they are a crappy pad for high performance use. They fall apart (figuratively) at the track, even on an ISF which has a more robust brake system than most other applications.

Before you buy crazy expensive pads (like Endless) you need to really ask yourself what are you going to do with the car. There is no point paying 3X for a do-it-all pad when it will wear like crazy at the track (i.e. Endless), or if you never go to the track. Better to have a dedicated pad for that purpose, but for most HPDE applications, a W2 or W3 will hold up very well at most tracks.

What most guys think is brake fade is really overheated brake fluid because they did not bleed the system prior to track day. Even if you bled the system 1-2 months prior to track day, that is not good enough, especially if you use the high temp "racing" fluids, which deteriorate quite fast.

Another alternative for track/street use are the Winmax W3's. We have a local customer with them and he is reporting that they are not noisy when properly bedded in. They dust about the same as stock pads.

Rafi
This is exactly what I was looking for. I will be ordering w2s from you shortly. Thanks so much!

Hi Rafi, I just purchased a set of the W2's from you. Can you PM me the proper instructions for bedding them correctly? Thanks!!
Don't Pm the instructions, post them on here .. Also my rotors are within spec mm wise but have slight ridges in them.. I'm assuming the process would be the exact same.
Old 10-22-15, 04:30 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I wholeheartedly disagree that NS400 are popular just "because of the color". They are more expensive than the cheap alternatives like winmax and Hawk but it's because they accomplish their intended goal so well (super low dust street pad with higher friction levels than the stock pads and other competitive products). They are a street pad that was NEVER designed to be used on a race track (Same with W1 or W2) so that argument is irrelevant.

I'm not trying to claim everyone needs Endless MX72, just pointing out why they cost so much compared to other options. They aren't right for everyone and I completely understand that. Endless options don't make much financial sense for someone who swaps their own pads between dedicated street and dedicated track pads. However, for the guy who doesn't do his own work and instead pays a dealer or shop several hundred dollars to do pad swaps, they make a lot more sense. I also want to point out that if you're wearing the Endless pads (or any pads) out so fast on the track you are overheating them and need a more aggressive compound. The MX72 specifically wear similarly on track to a W4 which will out last a W3 with aggressive use if we are comparing against Winmax. The MXRS (slightly more aggressive version of the MX72) will wear even better and offer even more performance at the cost of a little more dust on the street (still about the same as a W2 though).

Since the only issue with Endless' compounds is the high cost of admission we have been working on another *much* more affordable option that targets similar goals to an MX72 or MXRS but comes in at a price point much closer to the budget brake pads like Winmax, EBC, Hawk etc. It will be in a league of its own and should be the go-to pad for 90% of IS-F drivers who daily the car and want to track it on the same set of pads. It will also be perfect for aggressive street driving, canyon runs etc. We are still about two months out on this but it's coming so prepare to be dazzled

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 10-22-15 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 05:22 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Don't Pm the instructions, post them on here .. Also my rotors are within spec mm wise but have slight ridges in them.. I'm assuming the process would be the exact same.

I found this online when I installed the W4s last month.

http://www.motorsportbrakes.com.au/brake-pad-bedding/

-Mike

Old 10-24-15, 02:35 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,380 Likes on 633 Posts

Thanks Mike.

A few more tips:

(1) Once you complete the bedding in per the Winmax instructions, park the car and let it cool down. Do not at any point come to a stop with your foot on the brake pedal.

(2) You should see an even blue tint on the rotors, that is the indication that you got them hot enough for proper bedding in.

(3) Bedding in may take more than one iteration if you are using new pads with old rotors, until the pad conforms to the rotor surface.

(4) Pads need to be periodically bedded in (for example, before a track event) as normal street use removes the transfer layer on the brake rotors.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube