IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What style of lug nut is recommended with aftermarket wheels on the ISF ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-15, 12:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

looks like the same ones HRE will be sending . I am curious in the weight difference . Not saying its significant but never felt a lug this light.
Old 10-17-15, 04:28 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
looks like the same ones HRE will be sending . I am curious in the weight difference . Not saying its significant but never felt a lug this light.
Yes as basic as it gets for a tuner style conical lug nut...

Best thing to do is Weigh OEM, the basic tuner lug & then your Kicks

Joe Z
Old 10-18-15, 12:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I'll let the shop decide what they think is the best but I absoluetly want to use the custom metal hub rings I ordered.
Old 10-18-15, 06:16 PM
myspec15
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you want lightweight go with the AMUSE titanium lugs
Old 10-19-15, 05:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Yes as basic as it gets for a tuner style conical lug nut...

Best thing to do is Weigh OEM, the basic tuner lug & then your Kicks

Joe Z
I have a postal scale at the office. I will try to weigh them if I get a chance. Still waiting for the wheels and my custom metal hub rings

Originally Posted by myspec15
you want lightweight go with the AMUSE titanium lugs
I think I will draw the line at $200-$300. I went from using the cheap free ones I get at discount tire to the R26. I think its fancy enough
Old 10-20-15, 06:04 AM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on project kics, i'm running open ended neochrome ones
Old 10-20-15, 09:56 AM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently broke down some pros and cons of the lug nuts to someone recently so I'll share my two cents .

I know the OP already has his lugs but in-case others were in the same boat, I wanted to shed some advice.

Most of this is my own experience and general knowledge and I don't speak for everybody as other people have their own experiences.

There are different varieties of lugs for different styles and applications.

The main types of lug nuts are aluminum, steel, and titanium.

With aluminum you get a lightweight lug nut that can be easily shaped to look really cool! Many of the crazy colored lug nuts with crazy designs are made of aluminum so they look awesome. This is a good choice for a nicely built street car or show car. Aluminum lug nuts are also relatively inexpensive. You can get a nice set for around $100 - $250. The one downside is that aluminum is softer than steel so if you're prone to swapping wheels a lot or taking the lug nuts on and off, you can end up stripping the threads quite easily. It's happened many times before to not only myself but also many of my clients. If you have a dedicated track car that experiences a lot of aggressive driving, I probably wouldn't suggest an aluminum lug nut. I'm sure some might work okay but I'd trust a good steel or titanium lug nut for a track car.

Steel lug nuts are great if you're looking for something strong and durable. I'd personally run a steel or titanium lug nut if you have a track car or if you take the lug nuts on and off constantly. The downside to steel is that there aren't very many good styles or colors (there are a few though). They are also heavier compared to aluminum or titanium. The cost is still relatively inexpensive much like the aluminum ones.

Titanium lug nuts are just down right cool. Titanium lugs don't have many crazy designs or shapes but they do have some nice finishes. Most offer the true blue titanium burn on them which I personally like. If you have a track car, titanium would be perfect as it's stronger than steel and lightweight. The only downside to titanium lug nuts is that they're extremely expensive. 2-3 times more than your standard aluminum or steel lug nut. They're super awesome though haha .

I'm sure there's a lot more you can say about each style lug nut but this is a quick synopsis based on my experience.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-20-15, 10:07 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I have to use the special Volk lugs for my gt7's and gtc's each using a different type. Best thing is check with manufacturers and see what's compatible. Usually variations of the cone or like in my case a different type of lug nut vs typical spline lock works on cheaper wheels like xxr, mb, rota, str
Old 10-20-15, 10:33 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BPauto
I recently broke down some pros and cons of the lug nuts to someone recently so I'll share my two cents .

I know the OP already has his lugs but in-case others were in the same boat, I wanted to shed some advice.

Most of this is my own experience and general knowledge and I don't speak for everybody as other people have their own experiences.

There are different varieties of lugs for different styles and applications.

The main types of lug nuts are aluminum, steel, and titanium.

With aluminum you get a lightweight lug nut that can be easily shaped to look really cool! Many of the crazy colored lug nuts with crazy designs are made of aluminum so they look awesome. This is a good choice for a nicely built street car or show car. Aluminum lug nuts are also relatively inexpensive. You can get a nice set for around $100 - $250. The one downside is that aluminum is softer than steel so if you're prone to swapping wheels a lot or taking the lug nuts on and off, you can end up stripping the threads quite easily. It's happened many times before to not only myself but also many of my clients. If you have a dedicated track car that experiences a lot of aggressive driving, I probably wouldn't suggest an aluminum lug nut. I'm sure some might work okay but I'd trust a good steel or titanium lug nut for a track car.

Steel lug nuts are great if you're looking for something strong and durable. I'd personally run a steel or titanium lug nut if you have a track car or if you take the lug nuts on and off constantly. The downside to steel is that there aren't very many good styles or colors (there are a few though). They are also heavier compared to aluminum or titanium. The cost is still relatively inexpensive much like the aluminum ones.

Titanium lug nuts are just down right cool. Titanium lugs don't have many crazy designs or shapes but they do have some nice finishes. Most offer the true blue titanium burn on them which I personally like. If you have a track car, titanium would be perfect as it's stronger than steel and lightweight. The only downside to titanium lug nuts is that they're extremely expensive. 2-3 times more than your standard aluminum or steel lug nut. They're super awesome though haha .

I'm sure there's a lot more you can say about each style lug nut but this is a quick synopsis based on my experience.

Hope this helps.

I track my car regularly but Im in the group that just uses track tires on the street and street tires the track. I just burn up the tires and replace every 6-8 months. Trying to go to a wider tire and something more track focused. I am hoping this will help the tires last a little longer or at least give me the added grip I need. I hate the that the PSS wears out so damn fast. I did 2 track days in the summer and am down to the indicators in less than 6 k miles !!! AND THEY WERE LETTING GO AT 4 K MILES. Going witht he AD08R this time. PSS just do not hold up......AT ALL
Old 10-21-15, 04:44 PM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I track my car regularly but Im in the group that just uses track tires on the street and street tires the track. I just burn up the tires and replace every 6-8 months. Trying to go to a wider tire and something more track focused. I am hoping this will help the tires last a little longer or at least give me the added grip I need. I hate the that the PSS wears out so damn fast. I did 2 track days in the summer and am down to the indicators in less than 6 k miles !!! AND THEY WERE LETTING GO AT 4 K MILES. Going witht he AD08R this time. PSS just do not hold up......AT ALL
LOL "track tires on the street and street tires on the track". I'm actually the same way haha. I'm sure many people are.

The AD08R are AMAZING tires. I've also had a lot of good grip and experience with the Toyo R888. We use a lot of those on our demo cars. They feel amazing at the track. How did the new setup turn out? Did you get the wheel and lug nuts mounted?
Old 10-21-15, 08:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Turned out great. Used the R26 lugs and they torqued everything by hand. Tipped the manager $40 bucks and he did all the work himself. Took over 2 hours. The only issue was that HRE didnt send the right front hub rings so I ended using a set they had for the front. I have a custom set of metal rings coming from racing company in Nevada but they have been a little slow.

The massive 255/295 combo with these juicy AD08Rs has caused slight rubbing in the rear. I am taking the car in tomorrow for rear fender rolling and I will massage the front fender liner with a heat gun when I get home . I haven't gotten on it too hard in the corners because I am rubbing a little and have been driving back and fourth over the last 2 days to grab 2 of the stocks at a time ( just caused more rubbing because of the weight in the trunk.) I am amazed at how smooth the car feels with these crazy *** tires. I can tell they are not as quiet as the PSS but you can totally tell that the PSS has significantly softer sidewalls than the AD08R. The car definetly turns better and it seems like it rolls a little less. Not sure if its the stiffer tires, wider foot print with the better offset , or both. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow when I get it all wrapped up with the roll.
Old 10-21-15, 08:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BPauto
LOL "track tires on the street and street tires on the track". I'm actually the same way haha. I'm sure many people are.

The AD08R are AMAZING tires. I've also had a lot of good grip and experience with the Toyo R888. We use a lot of those on our demo cars. They feel amazing at the track. How did the new setup turn out? Did you get the wheel and lug nuts mounted?
I just dont have the time or the motivation to jack the car up and swap wheels and swap them back, plus the added cost.

I was thinking of doing the R888, but a friend with a Porsche Turbo told me they are so loud you will think you have 4 broken wheel bearings LMAO. I know these Yokos are going to get noisy as they age but the car is loud with the JZ exhaust and the loud music
Old 10-07-16, 12:29 AM
robtown
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bring this thread back up as I'm shopping for lugs for my aftermarket wheels.

Anyone have experience with these newer project kics leggdura 2 piece lugs?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...ing-color.html

They seem like the best of both worlds. A steel open ended lug for strength and track day use, then add the shell for lightweight looks and close ended. Plus at $150, not too pricey compared to some of Project Kics other lugs.

Thoughts on these vs just picking up a set of McGards splinedrive

http://www.mcgard.com/index.php/comp...m_model=IS%20F

Last edited by robtown; 10-07-16 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-08-16, 11:29 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the Leggdura look nice. I'm going to order a set. thanks for the info
Old 10-08-16, 12:21 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by robtown
Bring this thread back up as I'm shopping for lugs for my aftermarket wheels.

Anyone have experience with these newer project kics leggdura 2 piece lugs?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...ing-color.html

They seem like the best of both worlds. A steel open ended lug for strength and track day use, then add the shell for lightweight looks and close ended. Plus at $150, not too pricey compared to some of Project Kics other lugs.

Thoughts on these vs just picking up a set of McGards splinedrive

http://www.mcgard.com/index.php/comp...m_model=IS%20F
Kics IR40 Conix, On my Advan racing TCIII. They are 2pc and has a threaded lug cover.

Last edited by ljdsong; 10-08-16 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: What style of lug nut is recommended with aftermarket wheels on the ISF ?