IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Check headlight system!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-20, 09:29 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

New replacements aren't cheap..

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-02-20 at 09:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
itsmike177 (04-03-20)
Old 04-03-20, 08:17 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Did you inspector the connector and wiring that attaches to the sensors arm.??

It should unplug, can't remember.. If it does and checks out OK.. See if you can apply some connector grease to keep out moisture or etc.. Also try to trace the wiring harness..

Joe Z
Thanks Joe Z for the suggestions and part numbers, much appreciated as usual!

Removed both driver side wheels and did unplug both front and rear connectors: no moisture was found within the connectors after the car wash the other day.
Will attempt to trace the wiring harness to see if they are intact, and if all checks out okay, looks like another $1k for this car, this time for sensors.... typical "10 year old aging car" symptoms and anomalies....
Old 04-03-20, 03:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Sorry to drag this one back, 2011 ISF here.

- Had this issue yesterday right after washing the car.
- It also happened once before 4-5 months ago during a heavy rainstorm, but it went away after restarting the car.
- No suspension changes, so in my case, it is due to something getting wet due to a car wash.
Car is on OEM shocks and struts, no suspension modifications.
- Headlights, turn signals, high beams, fog lights all function normally with the error.
- Checked the front and rear sensors and they are set according to the diagrams above and in other posts.
The sensors have not been moved/touched for months after moving the "rear sensor" so that it points higher than stock.
Set the rear sensor to the "middle" mark and issue remains.
Disconnected car battery, issue remains.
- Photos and videos of the issue attached.
Video of issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPk_3rtQE_c

Checking if anyone else has had this issue? The issue only presented itself first during a heavy rainstorm when driving around. Then again yesterday after a car wash. Didn't do anything different nor have changes done for months either.
So was wondering which "electrical" part needs to be looked at/replaced.

Thanks for anyone's input.
Somebody tweaked the crap out of your suspension level device. Is the car lowered? The arm you see attached to the suspension should be at the middle of it's rotation limits at normal ride height to work correctly. But that's probably not the issue.

Odds are there is something in the headlight housing getting wet and causing this error. The odds of having a problem with the sensor on the suspension other than what I mentioned above is really, really tiny. Best would be to get a code scanner or someone with Techstream to run diagnostics and check your DTCs. That's going to at least localize where the issue is, but given this shows up after water hits the car, it's more than likely an issue in the headlights related to a water leak in a spot where it should be sealed.
itsmike177 (04-03-20)
Old 04-03-20, 05:05 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Somebody tweaked the crap out of your suspension level device. Is the car lowered? The arm you see attached to the suspension should be at the middle of it's rotation limits at normal ride height to work correctly. But that's probably not the issue.

Odds are there is something in the headlight housing getting wet and causing this error. The odds of having a problem with the sensor on the suspension other than what I mentioned above is really, really tiny. Best would be to get a code scanner or someone with Techstream to run diagnostics and check your DTCs. That's going to at least localize where the issue is, but given this shows up after water hits the car, it's more than likely an issue in the headlights related to a water leak in a spot where it should be sealed.
Thanks lobux, will check the headlight housing and wiring....
The car was never lowered prior, all stock. The markings most likely occurred when I adjusted the headlight leveler 10+ times trying to troubleshoot....

Old 04-03-20, 06:47 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Question

^^ Yes Lobuxracer is right...

I forgot about the possibility of Headlight local issues... Unfortunately to access the lights to inspect seals and common failure like underside gasket failure of ballast.. Will require front bumper removal..

Also, did the ABS light appear in conjunction to this issue as well ???

Good luck on the hunt for the gremlins

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-03-20 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-04-20, 05:36 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

^^ Yes Lobuxracer is right...

I forgot about the possibility of Headlight local issues... Unfortunately to access the lights to inspect seals and common failure like underside gasket failure of ballast.. Will require front bumper removal..

Also, did the ABS light appear in conjunction to this issue as well ???

Good luck on the hunt for the gremlins

Joe Z
Yes, warning lights are coming on this time, which are the same that popped up once a few months ago while driving in a rainstorm:

“Check Headlight System” displayed
The red triangle warning light
ABS warning light
Traction control warning light

Old 04-04-20, 07:28 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^ It's going to be a guessing game unless you can get the codes read. (As Lobux also mentioned)

ABS leads to me think a different issue is presenting itself again on a hairness or a wheel speed sensor which is part of each hub..

Did you happen to check those..? Any debris encounters during the rain storm ?

Joe Z
Old 04-04-20, 03:17 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

^^ It's going to be a guessing game unless you can get the codes read. (As Lobux also mentioned)

ABS leads to me think a different issue is presenting itself again on a hairness or a wheel speed sensor which is part of each hub..

Did you happen to check those..? Any debris encounters during the rain storm ?

Joe Z
Got the codes read via Techstream:
The error codes are:

C1241 - Low or High Power Supply Voltage
C1402 - Malfunction in Front Speed Sensor LH Circuit
C1405 - Open of Short in Front Speed Sensor RH Circuit
C1406 - Open of Short in Front Speed Sensor LH Circuit
C1414 - Front Speed Sensor LH Circuit Output

- For "C1241 - Low or High Power Supply Voltage" the car was in ACC mode vs engine running, so I think that's what is throwing that error code.

- All other codes, I think it could be related to Duralast aftermarket front wheel hubs/bearing assembly (instead of OEM) I purchased last year from Autozone, but only a guess......
https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...7_188128_22589

Changed out the wheel hubs/bearings due to trying to narrow down the "wheel of fortune" clicking noise last year, which did NOT resolve the issue.
Tried to save by going with Duralast hub/bearing since they were $230 for both from Autozone, vs something like $700-800 for OEM Toyota parts, so might need to bite the bullet on going OEM this time.
But that is only assuming the wheel speed "sensors" in the Duralast hubs are/have failed.....

Only guessing based on the codes though.....

Old 04-04-20, 06:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

C1241:
  1. At a vehicle speed of 3 km/h (2 mph) or more, the IG1 terminal voltage is less than 9.5 V for 10 seconds or more.
  2. When the solenoid relay remains ON and the IG1 terminal voltage is less than 9.5 V, the relay contact is open for 0.22 seconds or more.
  3. With the IG1 terminal voltage 9.5 V or less, the vehicle speed sensor power supply decreases for 60 seconds or more.
  4. When the motor fail safe relay is ON after the motor relay turns ON, the IG1 terminal voltage is 9.5 V or less and the actuator pump drive motor is OFF for 0.22 seconds or more.
  • ECU-IG RH fuse
  • Battery
  • Charging system
  • Power source circuit
  • Internal power supply circuit of the skid control ECU
So battery and alternator good?

Any loose connectors near the brake master cylinder?

Start checking here at A62 for loose connections. There is no common wiring between the front wheel speed sensors, so this is the first place those two device meet.

Joe Z (04-04-20)
Old 04-05-20, 09:04 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
C1241:
  1. At a vehicle speed of 3 km/h (2 mph) or more, the IG1 terminal voltage is less than 9.5 V for 10 seconds or more.
  2. When the solenoid relay remains ON and the IG1 terminal voltage is less than 9.5 V, the relay contact is open for 0.22 seconds or more.
  3. With the IG1 terminal voltage 9.5 V or less, the vehicle speed sensor power supply decreases for 60 seconds or more.
  4. When the motor fail safe relay is ON after the motor relay turns ON, the IG1 terminal voltage is 9.5 V or less and the actuator pump drive motor is OFF for 0.22 seconds or more.
  • ECU-IG RH fuse
  • Battery
  • Charging system
  • Power source circuit
  • Internal power supply circuit of the skid control ECU
So battery and alternator good?

Any loose connectors near the brake master cylinder?

Start checking here at A62 for loose connections. There is no common wiring between the front wheel speed sensors, so this is the first place those two device meet.
Thank you lubox, I tried looking in the engine bay for A62, but can't locate that "box." Not sure if it is visible in the engine compartment or within the wheel well under the wheel liner; I can see the box to it's immediate left though.
Checked the master cylinder connections and all are tight, nothing frayed or even wet from what I inspected visually.

I did open up the fuse box towards the front of the car, and was wondering if this 30 amp fuse is missing?
Arrows in photos point to a 30amp fuse in the diagram, but don't see it installed in the fuse box, so it is even required?

Old 04-05-20, 11:31 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Only if you have headlamp washers.
Old 04-10-20, 10:22 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Got the codes read via Techstream:
The error codes are:

C1241 - Low or High Power Supply Voltage
C1402 - Malfunction in Front Speed Sensor LH Circuit
C1405 - Open of Short in Front Speed Sensor RH Circuit
C1406 - Open of Short in Front Speed Sensor LH Circuit
C1414 - Front Speed Sensor LH Circuit Output

- For "C1241 - Low or High Power Supply Voltage" the car was in ACC mode vs engine running, so I think that's what is throwing that error code.

- All other codes, I think it could be related to Duralast aftermarket front wheel hubs/bearing assembly (instead of OEM) I purchased last year from Autozone, but only a guess......
https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...7_188128_22589

Changed out the wheel hubs/bearings due to trying to narrow down the "wheel of fortune" clicking noise last year, which did NOT resolve the issue.
Tried to save by going with Duralast hub/bearing since they were $230 for both from Autozone, vs something like $700-800 for OEM Toyota parts, so might need to bite the bullet on going OEM this time.
But that is only assuming the wheel speed "sensors" in the Duralast hubs are/have failed.....

Only guessing based on the codes though.....
Thanks Lubox and JoeZ, issue has been resolved.
Replaced the parts one by one until the codes went away.

- What fixed the issues are replacing the following parts and the error codes disappeared after ~10 seconds of driving.
89408-30130 SENSOR SUB-ASSY, HEIGHT CONTROL, REAR LH
43560-53010 Driver Side Hub

I also replaced the front headlight height sensor and passenger hub as well:
89406-53020 SENSOR SUB-ASSY, HEIGHT CONTROL, FRONT LH
43550-53010 Passenger Side Hub

So I think the initial "check headlight system" was due to failure of the rear headlight height sensor.
And the ABS/Traction error was due to a non-OEM Duralast wheel hub that I installed/purchased from Autozone exactly one year ago.

Didn't take long to replace all 4 parts, around 2 hours in the garage with jack stands.

Replaced all 4 parts with OEM Toyota parts and all is good....for now.....

Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by itsmike177:
Joe Z (04-10-20), lobuxracer (04-10-20)
Old 08-15-20, 01:28 PM
southerntx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much did you pay total?

- What fixed the issues are replacing the following parts and the error codes disappeared after ~10 seconds of driving.

So I think the initial "check headlight system" was due to failure of the rear headlight height sensor.
And the ABS/Traction error was due to a non-OEM Duralast wheel hub that I installed/purchased from Autozone exactly one year ago.

Didn't take long to replace all 4 parts, around 2 hours in the garage with jack stands.

Thanks!
how much was it in parts
Old 08-17-20, 07:36 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks!
thanks for posting. I was considering swapping out my other front wheel hub/bearing with a duralast one after seeing good reviews for it here but now i'm glad i waited. Those Lexus OE front wheel hubs are robbery at over $400/copy but at least they work right.
Old 08-17-20, 09:14 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Originally Posted by southerntx
how much was it in parts
Not cheap, but issue resolved..... I looked up each order for the prices paid.
The sensors were ~$350 new from dealerships nationwide, so purchased them both on eBay for around ~$200 each.
The wheel hubs were purchased online from a Lexus dealer for ~$350 each.

$200 eBay

$350 LexusParts

$230 eBay

$350 LexusParts

Quick Reply: Check headlight system!!!!