Buying high mileage IS F over the internet

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 06:30 PM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying high mileage IS F over the internet

Hi All,

A week ago, I started a thread on whether I should buy the IS F vs. GS 430. I have decided to go with the IS F and wanted to get your input on a few different topics:

1. I am going to buy one in the 100k miles range. If the history shows no major issues and was had sufficient service history, should I be concern at the car with this many miles. My initial gut tells me that I should not have to worry as the quality of lexus is very good and as long as the vehicle was maintained.

2. I may select a car that is 1000 miles away from me and was wondering if you guys have purchased a car over the internet (either on ebay or directly from the dealer). I can arrange a PPI by a lexus dealer that is local to the dealer that I am buying from but I will most likely not have the time to fly out there and check out the car myself. With the results of the PPI, do you think that is strong enough evidence that the car will be ok?

3. In regards to buying over the internet, have you guys have any experience making a car purchase over the web? This is a large used car dealer and has many feedback and reviews and is rated by the BBB with good ratings.

4. Lastly, the dealer can offer a 5 year extended warranty that covers most items plus electronics for $2500. The company is called National auto care but I have not heard of them before.

I currently have an extended warranty from Etos for my 4runner and they have already paid out twice for repairs.

Hoping to hear your thoughts of the above matter. This is very exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time. Unfortunately, with 2 kids and a demanding job, i hardly have time to do additional research let alone fly over to see the car itself.

Thanks in advance.

Ed
Old 10-19-15, 06:44 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it has records + a clean PPI from a lexus dealership i don't see any problems, ask the dealer if it has physical records in the glovebox he can send you pictures of or w/e, finding every single record of tires/brakes + 5k interval services done at dealerships in the glove box of a 94k IS-F i bought was a deal closer.
Old 10-19-15, 07:59 PM
ping83
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I recently just purchased my F with 110k on the clock. I was in very similar shoes as you are currently and I called Lexus and gave them the VIN number. Every time the car is taken to a Lexus dealership it goes into the national data base for recalls or maintenance completed. My report was 19 pages and gave me a good undertaking of the car.

My biggest concern was the transmission and knock on wood so far, it shifts exceptionally smooth and holds good shift points under WOT.

I was also a big component of checking to make sure all the VIN tags were on the body panels to let me know the car had never been in a wreck.

If your due diligence checks out, do not be afraid to buy, best decision I have made on a car purchase in a long time. Smile ever time that rumble of a motor fires up!
Old 10-19-15, 08:46 PM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Thanks guys.

Ping, did you buy the car locally or through Internet?

Thanks.
Old 10-19-15, 08:47 PM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Did you call Lexus corporate or a local dealer? Thanks.

Originally Posted by ping83
I recently just purchased my F with 110k on the clock. I was in very similar shoes as you are currently and I called Lexus and gave them the VIN number. Every time the car is taken to a Lexus dealership it goes into the national data base for recalls or maintenance completed. My report was 19 pages and gave me a good undertaking of the car.

My biggest concern was the transmission and knock on wood so far, it shifts exceptionally smooth and holds good shift points under WOT.

I was also a big component of checking to make sure all the VIN tags were on the body panels to let me know the car had never been in a wreck.

If your due diligence checks out, do not be afraid to buy, best decision I have made on a car purchase in a long time. Smile ever time that rumble of a motor fires up!
Old 10-19-15, 09:16 PM
parasitius
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jumpman86
1. I am going to buy one in the 100k miles range. If the history shows no major issues and was had sufficient service history, should I be concern at the car with this many miles. My initial gut tells me that I should not have to worry as the quality of lexus is very good and as long as the vehicle was maintained.
Bought my last car, Acura TL-S, with 115k on the clock. Was like a dream, because the 10k drop due to high miles made me able to afford such a vehicle on my low salary at the time. Main regret? Idiot who owned it gathered so many hood rock chips, I lost all pride and couldn't stand it after 2 years so dropped $3,000 on paint work. So my advice is to check the paint carefully, because if it is trashed you'll feel low class driving it. I was only concentrating on the mechanicals at the time, which were and are 100% legit.

2. I may select a car that is 1000 miles away from me and was wondering if you guys have purchased a car over the internet (either on ebay or directly from the dealer). I can arrange a PPI by a lexus dealer that is local to the dealer that I am buying from but I will most likely not have the time to fly out there and check out the car myself. With the results of the PPI, do you think that is strong enough evidence that the car will be ok?
Just got my F like this 3 weeks ago. The Lexus dealers in that town refused to do any sort of PPI or inspection for me. Finally I got a Toyota dealer to agree.... *sigh* It was. Odd.

The main help for me was that I asked the Toyota dude after the inspection that, since I couldn't see it in person, could he tell me anything about the physical condition? He was like, "It looks great! I strongly recommend you buy it." That really made me feel better about dropping $350 on a flight and $100 on a hotel.

Is your bank okay with you not flying out? Is the dealer? Neither my bank NOR the dealer would accept a completely remote purchase. The dealer said they'd only do it if I was paying cash including shipment money.

3. In regards to buying over the internet, have you guys have any experience making a car purchase over the web? This is a large used car dealer and has many feedback and reviews and is rated by the BBB with good ratings.
Yeah... 90% of the dealers with F's looked dodgy. I contacted 3 that didn't look dodgy at all. Only 1 even bothered to reply to me. That was the car I bought )

In the whole process I really feel like https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do was my secret weapon. I could ask sneaky things that weren't on the Carfax and see if they'd explicitly lie or just be honest and say Yes or say they don't know.

4. Lastly, the dealer can offer a 5 year extended warranty that covers most items plus electronics for $2500. The company is called National auto care but I have not heard of them before.
Kind of defeats the purpose of buying a Lexus, doesn't it? For me, I'd definitely pile the 2500 towards just getting a newer car with less miles by Lexus. I just don't see the point. *Maybe* if you plan to drive 30k miles a year and drive it to 200k?
Old 10-20-15, 06:20 AM
ping83
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks guys.

Ping, did you buy the car locally or through Internet?

Thanks.
I called my local Lexus dealer and explained the situation and what I was trying to accomplish. After I was comfortable w the findings, I scheduled a time to drive 3 hours away to inspect the car, so a little different and I bought from a private party that could tell me a little bit about the cars history.
Old 10-20-15, 09:03 AM
PololoISF
Driver School Candidate

I also purchased my used 2008 ISF about 3 weeks ago. In fact, both Parasitius and I pretty much purchased the car the same day, same mileage on the cars, both cars from from NY and we both live in Austin... Go figure... lol

I couldn't find the car I was looking for in a 1K miles radius and I was very serious about so I had to stomach the shipping fee.

As I was looking into these cars, I contacted a few dealers and some will even give me a "lifetime warranty on the powertrain"... Another Lexus dealer, a lady, flat told me that she will not negotiate on a 2008 USB they just had put if for sale...The next call I made was to a private owner... and he was extremely helpful...

I talked to the Service Manager at the dealer this was always serviced at and after a 30 min conversation, I called the local Austin dealer and asked to confirm what the previous Service Manager told me. In fact all was legit... all the paperwork was there... The NY Service Manager told me... "if you are looking for a used ISF, THIS IS THE ONE YOU WANT"... The dealer had even done all the upgrades, newer headlights, intake, headers and exhaust...

Needless to say, yes, it was a gamble, but I did my due diligence to ensure it was the car that I wanted... and so far, it has been...

Don't be afraid. As long as you are able to get all the paperwork and a PPI, then you should be golden.

There is an ISF here in Austin for sale (I wish I'd seen it earlier) in awesome condition from a private owner... with all the upgrades already done to it.

Good luck,
Pololo
Old 10-20-15, 06:47 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed

I posted this in another thread but it could be usefull for you. I am 2 weeks in to owning my ISF., I love it and I am glad i flew to Texas to get it.. I live in Nor Cal..

Well man just like everyone else here, waiting is probably the best thing you can do for these cars and DONT SETTLE... if it isn't what you want.. move on there is inventory you just may have to travel for it. I was about to settle on an clean Silver L certified 09 at Sewel Lexus in Dallas but the USB 2011 that i got showed up a few hrs after i spoke with the sales guys and i inquired about that one...

I live in Nor Cal and i couldn't find the right ISF I wanted. I was willing to travel to Chicago, Green Bay WI and Dallas Texas for one. I was talking to three dealers at once. 2 were L certified and the 3rd one in Houston was not. Turns out the one in Houston was maintained at the Lexus dealer its whole life and I paid 125 bucks for the pre purchase inspection. While there they did the cooling fan recall and replaced the rad that had a hole in it from a rock "FOR FREE" that was a $1200 job.
The car needed tires Bad and brakes and the seller and i worked on that price because driving back to Cali on those tires wasn't going to be safe. I asked the Service advisor his professional opinion after the inspection came back perfect (all of this was done over the phone/ email as I was still in cali and had not seen the car yet) and he told me, "dude get this ISF!! I haven't seen many in this condition and if you don't, i will " .... So i booked my flight flew out 2 days later and drove home 2300 miles in 2 days back to Sacramento... completely worth it..

If these dealers aren't going to budge and you don't want to deal with the Intake issue, then find one that will. If you want a 2013 USB no sunroof ISF in WI, let me know i have the sales guys info and he is a stand up dude. I almost pulled the trigger with him but i wanted a sunroof and ML sound ( this one doesn't have it) so i went with the 2011..

So to answer some of your questions. I have purchased many cars over the web and the biggest thing you can do for these cars is to have them inspected. If you do that, get all the service history and everything pans out then go for it. I really wanted to by from a Lexus dealership and an L-Certified one at that. but the inventory i was finding wasn't there and i would have to settle.so after finding the one i wanted i just had everything checked and it worked itself out. I never really had any issues with my bank and buying car out of state. I bank with USAA and they finance **** all over the world so it was a breeze..

I'm still contemplating getting an extended warranty.. i have just heard so may mixed reviews on them that i cant decide if i want to shell out the $2-3K for one for them to tell me sorry we dont cover that..

Keep us posted on how it goes..