IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My new street/track wheel and tire set up

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 10:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan
Nice work Tammer, I also used a sealant on the rolled fenders after I painted them just to be sure...
Right on ! It took another 2-3 hours for me to shave a little more off , paint it, let it dry , and then apply the sealant . My hands and finger tips are raw and sore from holding the file for so long . Labor of love and SHE CLEARS !!

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
I say....Perfect! Nice job
Thanks buddy . I'm very happy with it . Only pain was the added day off for rolling fenders and shaving . I can't say I minded the time away from the office and a day to chill with my car but it hits in the wallet since I am self employed
Attached Thumbnails My new street/track wheel and tire set up-photo360.jpg   My new street/track wheel and tire set up-photo529.jpg  
Old 10-25-15, 11:05 AM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Right on ! It took another 2-3 hours for me to shave a little more off , paint it, let it dry , and then apply the sealant . My hands and finger tips are raw and sore from holding the file for so long . Labor of love and SHE CLEARS !!

d
I used a dremmel it took about 30sec to trim it
Old 10-26-15, 12:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

lol the file takes maybe 5-10 minutes but the painting and sealing extends things a bit . I'm glad to be done. I think I'm done with the PSS for a while unless these yokohamas get really loud

BOOM !!
Attached Thumbnails My new street/track wheel and tire set up-photo583.jpg   My new street/track wheel and tire set up-photo371.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 10-26-15 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-26-15, 01:22 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Imagine being an eye doc that came into the ER with a metallic foreign body in the eye because he didn't wear eye protection. I remove metal from corneas all the time and although it can even happen with eye protection , 95% of the time the guy was " just trying to do it really quick".
I'm guilty of this. I had to dremel a key out of my aunts ignition on her honda because the key she had cut was too short. Lo and behold I got a piece of metal stuck on the inside of my eyelid and couldn't wash it out. Thank goodness for you eye docs!

oh and congrats on the new setup! looks good!
Old 10-26-15, 02:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks buddy. That can be extremely painful !! Yeah people usually come back and thank me after. You should see the damage we get from these people who sleep in their contacts. Id rather have metal in my eye. I always tell my patients that " we can give you new kidney, a new liver, 2 new lungs, and a heart !!!!.........but the eyes are a one way street. Dont screw around with them until we learn how to transplant them " LMAO

Just got home from a long drive and all I can say about the new set up is that the car feels SO much more balanced. It doesn't over steer when pushed or even launched from a dead stop making a hard turn through an intersection , it doesnt under steer. It just goes. Frankly the sidewall stiffness I felt intially was just because the tech at the tire shop had the tires at 42 psi. I dropped them down to 36 psi cold and the car ride just as well as the PSS.

Far and away the biggest difference is simply being able to launch the car at full throttle from a dead stop and making a turn with NO wheel spin !!!!!!! This is what makes the car feel more balanced. It feels like there is matching grip and power, whereas the car never felt like that with the oem sizes and wheels . Track day this weekend but I think Im going to hold off and just enjoy her in her current condition. New wheels and tires and new front rotors and pads. Fresh and ready to go. LOL I think Ill give her 2 more weeks before I take her out for a trashing........if I can fight the urge to register

Last edited by I8ABMR; 10-26-15 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-30-15, 01:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Got to leave early and took some pics . Sorry about the poor quality
Attached Thumbnails My new street/track wheel and tire set up-photo4294967079.jpg   My new street/track wheel and tire set up-photo4294966739.jpg   My new street/track wheel and tire set up-photo101.jpg   My new street/track wheel and tire set up-photo727.jpg   My new street/track wheel and tire set up-photo721.jpg  

My new street/track wheel and tire set up-photo4294966329.jpg   My new street/track wheel and tire set up-photo476.jpg  
Old 10-30-15, 09:09 AM
GetUrWheel
Former Sponsor

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Looking great! Gunmetal is a great combo with the red!
Old 10-30-15, 12:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

So happy with the way it turned out. Had to do a little more fender work to the front right fender but we are all good !! I think if more people saw that it works with just a little fender work that a clueless person like myself can handle then we would have more people rolling on these bigger tires. No matter what I do I cant get the car to brake traction !!! INSANE !!

245/275 works but the 255/295 is what this car really needs. haha rocking more tire than a C7 Vette with track tires. I cant wait for tomorrow. Going to hit the track with the new set up. Will post videos , pics, and a little review of the tires and set up
Old 10-30-15, 12:18 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What was rubbing up front? Tire sidewall on fender well liner?
Old 10-30-15, 12:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

It never rubbed on the fender lip. It was rubbing against the fender liner right infront of the tires when you are at full lock and backing into a drive way. I used a $40 heat gun to melt the plastic and pushed it back in with the butt of a large flashlight. It was on the right fender because the right side has these slits int he fender liner. The slits look like luevers were the front side in lifted and it would barely catch on the tread. . Took about 10 minutes to address. . I will post some pics
Old 10-30-15, 02:26 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It never rubbed on the fender lip. It was rubbing against the fender liner right infront of the tires when you are at full lock and backing into a drive way. I used a $40 heat gun to melt the plastic and pushed it back in with the butt of a large flashlight. It was on the right fender because the right side has these slits int he fender liner. The slits look like luevers were the front side in lifted and it would barely catch on the tread. . Took about 10 minutes to address. . I will post some pics
If you could post some pics, that would be great!

Got the same issue when on full lock since my F was lowered with the coilovers.

Admittedly it only catches the fender liner on full lock, which I don't use very often.

Found out when I tried parallel parking!

Cheers.

Peter
Old 10-31-15, 10:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I'll go down a take a shot for you
Old 10-31-15, 10:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The best way for me to describe it would be that in front of the tire on the right fender there are these slits in the fender liner . They are all angles downward . When you turn the wheel to full lock the edge of the tread block on the tire just barley catches the edge of the protruding piece of fender liner . Buy a cheap heat gun and use it to heat the plastic slit pieces and simply push them in . It's a 5 minute job . I heated it up for 45 seconds at 1150 degrees and I pushed it in and held it with the butt of a large metal flashlight I had . You can use anything blunt , like the back of a screw driver .
Attached Thumbnails My new street/track wheel and tire set up-photo4294966659.jpg   My new street/track wheel and tire set up-photo640.jpg   My new street/track wheel and tire set up-photo18.jpg  
Old 11-03-15, 03:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Boom !!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails My new street/track wheel and tire set up-photo744.jpg  
Old 11-03-15, 04:19 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Looking good dude!

Thanks for the tip. Will give that a try when I get back.

In San Fran currently on business. Get back Friday.

Missing my F!

At least I get to see some nice F's here to keep me going!

Cheers.

Peter

Quick Reply: My new street/track wheel and tire set up