IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Royal Purple injector cleaner...anyone tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 12:49 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Royal Purple injector cleaner...anyone tried it?

i've been using royal purple oil for many many years now and i love it,now they have the injector cleaner and im thinking about using it,my car only has 27k miles,but our gas here in philippines seems dirty so as long as its not bad for our cars im thinking of trying it
Old 11-04-15, 11:41 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

curious about injector cleaner too. My car is at 41k now and I would like to help her idle a bit smoother
Old 11-04-15, 01:50 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner on my IS350 at 125k miles and the car seems a bit smoother after (2)back to back treatment. They are a bit more pricey but i have been using them for years on all my cars.
Old 11-04-15, 02:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

what does Lexus say about fuel additives ?? Many many cars have direct injection nowadays so Im assuming that shouldnt be a factor.
Old 11-04-15, 03:41 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
what does Lexus say about fuel additives ?? Many many cars have direct injection nowadays so Im assuming that shouldnt be a factor.
Actually direct injection engines are more susceptible to clogged and carbon build up. Here is a short article from Consumer reports
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ines/index.htm
Old 11-04-15, 04:28 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I used it before, but now using Seaform fuel injectors cleaner every 10,000 miles and the car seem smoother IS350.

Last edited by MWIS350; 11-04-15 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-04-15, 05:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Actually direct injection engines are more susceptible to clogged and carbon build up. Here is a short article from Consumer reports
thats what I was actually implying. I dont think it would be an issue. LOL We can get DI engines in a Hyundai
Old 11-05-15, 07:40 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car has 92,xxx miles and I recently had all 8 injectors replaced, not by choice. I did not notice any change in the "feel" of the car. My gas consumption is also the same. I was thinking maybe there would be a slight increase with brand new injectors but no.
Old 11-05-15, 09:44 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for giving us the heads up. I was hoping for a smoother idle but mine isnt bad at all
Old 11-05-15, 12:23 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by kauaian
My car has 92,xxx miles and I recently had all 8 injectors replaced, not by choice. I did not notice any change in the "feel" of the car. My gas consumption is also the same. I was thinking maybe there would be a slight increase with brand new injectors but no.
The F has 16 injectors, which set did you replace, direct or port injectors? Curious as to why you had to replace 8 of them?
Old 11-05-15, 12:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by pheonix72
None of the issues CR identified in the article apply to the 2UR-GSE. The 4GR-FSE is having those issues because it only has direct injection. The 2GR-FSE and the 2UR-GSE both have two injectors per cylinder, with the port injector used in the mid-range rpm to improve torque. It also happens to wash the intake valves down with every injection cycle. Keep in mind, the port injectors are not used at WOT or idle, only in mid-range operation, so there is still a very small chance the 2GR and 2UR engines could have some issues. No one on this forum has reported them.

Injector cleaners are mostly useless. A very few work. I am not sure about RP's product, but Red Line's SI has been tested and approved by BMW for use in their engines, Techron products from Chevron contain Techroline which is well known as a quality cleaner, and BG's BG44K is known as the (most expensive) industrial strength system cleaner. Unfortunately, anything else is a crap shoot. It might be great, it might be useless.
Old 11-05-15, 07:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
The F has 16 injectors, which set did you replace, direct or port injectors? Curious as to why you had to replace 8 of them?
think he had an injector or two broken during a recall campaign and they replaced them all so they were all even .
Old 11-05-15, 08:42 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
2 were broken when replacing the seal on the exchange tube and the remaining 6 were replaced because the tech was concerned with how brittle they were. I'm not familiar with the locations of the direct and port injectors but I believe these were the port injectors, correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-06-15, 08:19 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^^
That makes sense, that has happened to quite a few guys when having the ELF recall campaign done unfortunately. I thought that the injectors that were broken were the direct injectors usually, but I could be wrong as well.

On a side note to the OP I have used RP fuel system cleaner and it seemed to work well in the applications that I have used it in, and is half the price of BG 44k.

Last edited by MileHIFcar; 11-06-15 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-06-15, 08:36 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by kauaian
2 were broken when replacing the seal on the exchange tube and the remaining 6 were replaced because the tech was concerned with how brittle they were. I'm not familiar with the locations of the direct and port injectors but I believe these were the port injectors, correct me if I am wrong.
The port injectors stay in the manifold when you take it off. The direct injectors are the casualties when repairing coolant leaks in the valley of the V.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple injector cleaner...anyone tried it?