IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15, 07:59 PM
CK21
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Muffler Delete

I'm new new to the whole mod scene and performance car scene. I've always been an admirer from afar but never owned. Now that I have my ISF I couldn't be more pleased! That being said I want the big V8 to sound a bit more as it should. I'm not ready to go for a full exhaust system, utilities I've been going through a bunch of threads on here and am thinking of a Muffler Delete. I'm going to my buddies garage tomorrow (He races Fox Body Stangs on road courses) and am going to proposition him doing this for me. Is there anything I should know before I ask him to do this for me? Anothing I should order for it?
Thanks Guys!
CK
Old 11-05-15, 10:00 PM
toyer14
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK21
I'm new new to the whole mod scene and performance car scene. I've always been an admirer from afar but never owned. Now that I have my ISF I couldn't be more pleased! That being said I want the big V8 to sound a bit more as it should. I'm not ready to go for a full exhaust system, utilities I've been going through a bunch of threads on here and am thinking of a Muffler Delete. I'm going to my buddies garage tomorrow (He races Fox Body Stangs on road courses) and am going to proposition him doing this for me. Is there anything I should know before I ask him to do this for me? Anothing I should order for it?
Thanks Guys!
CK
If your going to delete mufflers i recommend cutting before 2nd set of cats and just running straight pipes all the way back. Some say on the forum that the 2nd set of cats is the most restricting on the stock exhaust. Thats what i did and after the mod which cost about 180 i heard a car start and said damn what was that and then realized it was my F, car sounds like a ferrari,huge difference a little drone but its a V8 and now it sounds like one. The next mod im doing is gutting primary cats and getting sikky o2 conditioners which in some opinion is same as buying aftermarket headers without the cost of aftermarket headers. Enjoy the mod,i have people ask me what i did to my exhaust to make it sound like that.
Old 11-05-15, 11:25 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

If the OP cuts before the secondary cats, he'll in essence have a full cutback dual exhaust system. Unless his buddy is a really good fabricator and has a Mandrel bender, I would advise against this. He would also need an X-Pipe. Why not just buy a complete exhaust system (JoeZ or if money is a factor, the Borla?

IMO, the most restrictive part of the exhaust is the crush at the rear of the axle back portion of the stock exhaust.

Lou
Old 11-06-15, 05:25 AM
CK21
Driver

Originally Posted by flowrider
If the OP cuts before the secondary cats, he'll in essence have a full cutback dual exhaust system. Unless his buddy is a really good fabricator and has a Mandrel bender, I would advise against this. He would also need an X-Pipe. Why not just buy a complete exhaust system (JoeZ or if money is a factor, the Borla?

IMO, the most restrictive part of the exhaust is the crush at the rear of the axle back portion of the stock exhaust.

Lou
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm looking at getting a JoeZ around summer time next year, but in the meantime would like to wake up the car a bit. Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-06-15, 05:59 AM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Just remove the mufflers. Don't cut anything, that way you can put it back.

And yes it sounds amazing with the mufflers removed, drive it in manual mode so you can control the drone (which isn't that bad). It's my wife's daily driver with my 4 year old son in it and they both love the sound.
Old 11-06-15, 08:18 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by toyer14
If your going to delete mufflers i recommend cutting before 2nd set of cats and just running straight pipes all the way back. Some say on the forum that the 2nd set of cats is the most restricting on the stock exhaust. Thats what i did and after the mod which cost about 180 i heard a car start and said damn what was that and then realized it was my F, car sounds like a ferrari,huge difference a little drone but its a V8 and now it sounds like one. The next mod im doing is gutting primary cats and getting sikky o2 conditioners which in some opinion is same as buying aftermarket headers without the cost of aftermarket headers. Enjoy the mod,i have people ask me what i did to my exhaust to make it sound like that.
Before you jump on the sikky sensors read this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-o2-sims.html
Old 11-06-15, 08:36 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

I have a muffler delete made for a Joe Z catback. It starts at the diff. You could fab up a midpipe from the headers to the axleback muffler deletes I have, or run it with a Joe Z? They replace the fake OEM tips with real quad tips

Just a thought!
Old 11-06-15, 05:16 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a muffler delete and it unleashes the beast. Night and day with my brother's stock. Sounds like a muscle car until about 3500 then it becomes an F1 racer
Old 11-07-15, 04:29 AM
toyer14
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISF2NV
Before you jump on the sikky sensors read this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-o2-sims.html
I read this thread and was thinking its a rare issue,is this not tru?and tge bend is the most restricting on stock exhauset?
Old 11-07-15, 06:15 AM
O1GS43O
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had sikky header with stock mid pipe and stock axle back. i did the muffler delete and loved it!! sounded awesome. then i got the full borla exhaust and when i fired it up my heart sank and even my wife was like "thats it?" so i cut the mufflers off and put 2.5" pipe to the stock tips and now it sounds bad azz once again. if i had to do it over again i would have saved my money.
Old 11-07-15, 06:51 AM
CK21
Driver

Originally Posted by lolfunxion
I have a muffler delete made for a Joe Z catback. It starts at the diff. You could fab up a midpipe from the headers to the axleback muffler deletes I have, or run it with a Joe Z? They replace the fake OEM tips with real quad tips

Just a thought!
Hmm that's interesting. Do you have any pictures of the exhaust after you did that?
Old 11-07-15, 08:47 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Hmm that's interesting. Do you have any pictures of the exhaust after you did that?
Yes, here's a couple. There's a link to the video in my thread as well

Old 11-07-15, 08:50 AM
CK21
Driver

Originally Posted by lolfunxion
Yes, here's a couple. There's a link to the video in my thread as well

Thanks man
Old 11-07-15, 11:25 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm looking at getting a JoeZ around summer time next year, but in the meantime would like to wake up the car a bit. Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.
Buy one now... Do it once do it right...

I have owned several modified cars since 1994.
Not once did I ever cut / hack / modify the OEM system.. Including my 88' Fox body LX 5.0
Which had Ceramic coated Ford Motorsport shorty headers, BBK H-Pipe & American Thunder Flowmaster Axleback bolt on section with Stainless Steel Finished Tips

Always kept the oem parts prestine for trade in or SMOG if applicable.

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-07-15 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-07-15, 11:37 AM
CK21
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Buy one now... Do it once do it right...

I have owned several modified cars since 1994.
Not once did I ever cut / hack / modify the OEM system.. Including my 88' Fox body LX 5.0
Which had Ceramic coated Ford Motorsport shorty headers, BBK H-Pipe & American Thunder Flowmaster Axleback bolt on section with Stainless Steel Finished Tips

Always kept the oem parts prestine for trade in or SMOG if applicable.

Joe Z
Hmm...wonder why you want me to buy a JoeZ I'm planning on keeping this car indefintely so trade value is not an issue for me.

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete