IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Front Lip for ISF

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-16, 08:52 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jjdurrant
Sick! So I attempted to wrap it myself and it was a total fail.. lol..

I am going to try to do some smaller pieces but taking the lip to a pro
Yup, assuming you the wrap big enough for the lip was that around $100? I didnt think it would be that especially especially getting the edges and grooves to stick and look good at the same time.

Rather than messing with the headaches just paid someone to do it told him I would post and refer if I liked the job and he was happy with that.
Old 03-02-16, 08:57 PM
jjdurrant
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a 13'x5' roll for $80 shipped which was a great deal. Way more than I need even after wrapping the other pieces I have planned. I suppose if I have more patience I could do the lip. But that poly moves around quite a bit and there are lots of curves and whatnot. Guessing I can get it wrapped under $100 since the part is off the car and I am supplying vinyl.
Old 03-02-16, 09:08 PM
k20trick
Instructor

I got a 13'x5' roll for $80 shipped which was a great deal. Way more than I need even after wrapping the other pieces I have planned. I suppose if I have more patience I could do the lip. But that poly moves around quite a bit and there are lots of curves and whatnot. Guessing I can get it wrapped under $100 since the part is off the car and I am supplying vinyl.
Yeah it was $100 for the lip including the vinyl, other shops actually wanted more and told me to f off in a nice way and told me to try wrapping around the edges to see how easy it is.
Old 03-03-16, 05:43 AM
jjdurrant
Driver

I found a vinyl shop that will do it for $50 so will see how it goes Pics to come!
Old 03-04-16, 07:23 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Sick! So I attempted to wrap it myself and it was a total fail.. lol..

I am going to try to do some smaller pieces but taking the lip to a pro
So I'm pretty much $250 into that lip, not too bad for a 250 dollar lip, definitely beats quite a few lips that are in the thousands range.
Old 03-04-16, 09:36 PM
jjdurrant
Driver

Got it back and it looks good.. I will post some pics tomorrow after I install. Def worth the $190 investment.
Old 03-05-16, 06:19 PM
jjdurrant
Driver

Well my lip project has turned into a mess.. first the vinyl just doesn't stick right to the poly like the installer had hoped. He did warn me before starting to. I thought maybe it was the type of vinyl but we had the same result with 3M 1080. @k20trick props to your installer.. lol

In addition, removing the AF1 lip was a nightmare.. The previous owner used double sided tape and some kind of black RTV to really seal it. And on top of that did a 3M clear film over it. It was definitely put on to never be removed. I had to literally chip away at it removing fiberglass pieces along the way. In the process of removing it the film got damaged and what I was able to get removed took paint with it.. even using a heat gun. Frustrating. So at this point I plan to just get the bottom portion of the bumper resprayed and paint match the lip at the same time.

Old 03-05-16, 10:34 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i just ordered one and i don't even have my IS F yet. lol
Old 03-05-16, 10:47 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Well my lip project has turned into a mess.. first the vinyl just doesn't stick right to the poly like the installer had hoped. He did warn me before starting to. I thought maybe it was the type of vinyl but we had the same result with 3M 1080. @k20trick props to your installer.. lol

In addition, removing the AF1 lip was a nightmare.. The previous owner used double sided tape and some kind of black RTV to really seal it. And on top of that did a 3M clear film over it. It was definitely put on to never be removed. I had to literally chip away at it removing fiberglass pieces along the way. In the process of removing it the film got damaged and what I was able to get removed took paint with it.. even using a heat gun. Frustrating. So at this point I plan to just get the bottom portion of the bumper resprayed and paint match the lip at the same time.

Just read the reviews on yelp and researched pictures of their installs and chose 2 installers, went with the one that was closer to me, it wasnt rocket science. It looks like that bumper had already been resprayed looking at the over spray at the clips where it screws onto the splash guard and the way the paint just peeled off like that, can you tell? I would've halted the install process as soon as I saw that bondo stuff on the paint. Looking at the bright side at least you'll have a fresh bumper and lip after all said and done.

Got it back and it looks good.. I will post some pics tomorrow after I install. Def worth the $190 investment.
Where is the pics of the finished product>?
Old 03-05-16, 11:01 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
Yeah its fake its a wrap. Unfortunately, I dont want to drop 3gs to buy a brand new cf wing from toyota (way over-inflated imo)...

Are you serious about the so fake stuff, honestly I just got this done today in less than one hour, it looks pretty legit to me.

See the results below:

The only way to tell if its a wrap is if you come real close to it no one really wont notice especially when driving.. I'm happy I wrapped it, it looks good in wrap rather rock the wrap than the plain black lip or the replica rear wing that just tapes on. I wrapped the oem wing in cf it looks darn near close and it'll give it that look until I can find one for a decent price in the used market.

Before I agree they had cf wrap that looks horrible, but recently its getting better and better.
looks good. how much to wrap
Old 03-05-16, 11:10 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by mindcrime
looks good. how much to wrap
A bill for the lip, it's on the previous posts.
Old 03-06-16, 05:37 AM
jjdurrant
Driver

Originally Posted by k20trick
Just read the reviews on yelp and researched pictures of their installs and chose 2 installers, went with the one that was closer to me, it wasnt rocket science. It looks like that bumper had already been resprayed looking at the over spray at the clips where it screws onto the splash guard and the way the paint just peeled off like that, can you tell? I would've halted the install process as soon as I saw that bondo stuff on the paint. Looking at the bright side at least you'll have a fresh bumper and lip after all said and done.

Where is the pics of the finished product>?
Yeah I think by the time I saw how messed up it all was I was too far in.. but like you said at least I will have a fresh bumper and lip when all said and done.
Old 03-12-16, 09:04 AM
jjdurrant
Driver

Got it back and it looks awesome.. Painter riveted it on for me as well so it's not going anywhere.

Old 03-12-16, 09:53 AM
Pie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good.

For those that installed. Are you putting doubled sided tape as well? I'm thinking of using screws + double sided tape. However, there seems to be plenty of screw spots, so the tape might be overkill
Old 03-12-16, 01:10 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pie
Looks good.

For those that installed. Are you putting doubled sided tape as well? I'm thinking of using screws + double sided tape. However, there seems to be plenty of screw spots, so the tape might be overkill
No that's overkill. The screws are in quite a few of the areas. No gaps are left either. At least with the screws if you ever need to take it off you can do so without damaging anything. Keep it simple and use what works.

Quick Reply: Front Lip for ISF