IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First time test drive 2011 ISF

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 06:29 PM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time test drive 2011 ISF

First time I test drove an ISF today. 2011 and all I can say is WOW. The suspension seems fine. Not harsh at all in my book. I wasn't able to push the handling as the road conditions and traffic didn't warrant it as it was heavy and wasn't famiar with the area. One thing I can say is IMHO, I will keep the headlights on my IS300. I was not impressed by the headlights throw at all. When I parked it they seemed fine projected agaisnt a wall. Black shows everything and while there are a couple suspect spots I am sure a good stage two can bring those out and stage 1 on the rest of the car as there was no real scratches. The dealer is being very aggressive in their pricing since the car has been on their lot for a while and ready for auction. They are willing to get me in the car. The most impressive thing is there as no pressure at all. Awesome car sales people great atmosphere and they let me drive it as long as I wanted. Was not overly impressed either with the quality of the dash for a $65,000 car new. And that cheap Chrysler digital clock form the 80's. Lexus what's happened? But coming up on 50k a nary a squeak or rattle. I am impressed and will probably be a new ISF owner and 3 time Lexus owner. Oh ya. And it just pops at 3500ish. That secondary intake. It should be there from get go. It is such a "normal" sou ding cacar until that point. And yes the quality over the GS400 is remarkable considering the new as tested prices of both cars. The GS400 around mid 50's and this mid 60's. Consider inflation and what would the GS400 cost now?

Last edited by mmartin061; 11-27-15 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-27-15, 06:51 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mmartin

Are you in North Dakota?

They are probably trying to work with you before the snow comes?? OR they just are tired of it sitting on the lot, unless you are an enthusiast not laot of people really know what this car is!

Good luck and let us know what you come up with. I have owned mine for 8 weeks and i Love mine!

Token
Old 11-27-15, 08:11 PM
mmartin061
banned

Default Yes ND

Originally Posted by Tokenblkgy
mmartin

Are you in North Dakota?

They are probably trying to work with you before the snow comes?? OR they just are tired of it sitting on the lot, unless you are an enthusiast not laot of people really know what this car is!

Good luck and let us know what you come up with. I have owned mine for 8 weeks and i Love mine!

Token
How did you know I live in North Dakota? Must have said that in another one of my few posts. 8 weeks? What year and color? Yes they are putting it up for auction on Monday or Tuesday. Thing is that I don't have to have one. I want one. So I told them where I needed to be and honestly I think they will hit that Mark. The crappy thing is black is hard to keep. It isn't perfect some blemishes but nothing that a good compound won't bring out and a good Flex buffer. I am excited since the price is in my wheelhouse Token. It has the Michellen Pilot Sport tires. And feels rock solid. 3rd Lexus I would have owned. 2001 IS300 I still have and is a stud black. The 2000 GS400 Platinum Silver I had I kept for a short time and dumped it. I wasn't very impressed by it the ISF is light years ahead of it in structural rigidity. The ISF engine is simply a piece of art. It's to bad I was driving under the speed limit because like I said I was not at all familiar with the area. Otherwise I would have jumped all over it. Thanks for the reply and will post pics if I decide to buy Monday.

Last edited by mmartin061; 11-27-15 at 08:15 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 11-27-15, 08:22 PM
CK21
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmartin061
How did you know I live in North Dakota?
Look at your profile box on this thread. It says "Location: ND". Hope this solves the mystery!
Old 11-27-15, 09:03 PM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by CK21
Look at your profile box on this thread. It says "Location: ND". Hope this solves the mystery!
What did you buy?
Old 11-27-15, 09:07 PM
CK21
Driver

What did you buy?
What did I buy? As in car? 08 ISF MM
Old 11-27-15, 09:26 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

A bottle of good sealant will keep the black in tip top shape. Just don't take it to the car wash like most people, otherwise it will be swirl city! (I'm sure you already know that since you mentioned compounding, just don't forget the clay bar first)

Get a good radar detector, and be smart about your driving, you'll be just fine.

I'd swap the oil too.

If you're not in a hurry, shop for a different color.
Old 11-27-15, 09:33 PM
CK21
Driver

How did you know I live in North Dakota? Must have said that in another one of my few posts. 8 weeks? What year and color? Yes they are putting it up for auction on Monday or Tuesday. Thing is that I don't have to have one. I want one. So I told them where I needed to be and honestly I think they will hit that Mark. The crappy thing is black is hard to keep. It isn't perfect some blemishes but nothing that a good compound won't bring out and a good Flex buffer. I am excited since the price is in my wheelhouse Token. It has the Michellen Pilot Sport tires. And feels rock solid. 3rd Lexus I would have owned. 2001 IS300 I still have and is a stud black. The 2000 GS400 Platinum Silver I had I kept for a short time and dumped it. I wasn't very impressed by it the ISF is light years ahead of it in structural rigidity. The ISF engine is simply a piece of art. It's to bad I was driving under the speed limit because like I said I was not at all familiar with the area. Otherwise I would have jumped all over it. Thanks for the reply and will post pics if I decide to buy Monday.
Oh by the way, if you were driving under the speed limit you may not have hit the 3600 RPMs to open the fender side ()secondary) intake, which IMO is one of the best parts of the ISF driving expireince.
Old 11-27-15, 09:59 PM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by CK21
Oh by the way, if you were driving under the speed limit you may not have hit the 3600 RPMs to open the fender side ()secondary) intake, which IMO is one of the best parts of the ISF driving expireince.
No I got the secondary to open up but around town and unless you get on it it is like a normal car. What a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Old 11-27-15, 10:05 PM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
A bottle of good sealant will keep the black in tip top shape. Just don't take it to the car wash like most people, otherwise it will be swirl city! (I'm sure you already know that since you mentioned compounding, just don't forget the clay bar first)

Get a good radar detector, and be smart about your driving, you'll be just fine.

I'd swap the oil too.

If you're not in a hurry, shop for a different color.
Thanks for the info. Yes the claybar is paramount to removing surface contaminants. After you wash your car and dry it try this. Run your hand over the car and remember the feel. Then take and put your hand in a plastic sandwhich ziplock bag type and run it over the surface. . Just a little tid bit. I know. I have time and the Blue or Red to me would just be WOW. But there is still something about black. Once you go blakc you never go back lol. Best and worst color. I have some guys that can do more than me such as paint correction so I am not worried to mcuh as it will be meticously cared for when I have it. The deal is just there and since I can't afford to pull out 30+ to give a private owner I have to get financed. Hint it's actually a tad over 40 and I was told they would push it out for just under 34. I said throw in the buff and wax and I'm in. . Have one of their shop guys out some elbow grease in it.
Old 12-19-15, 04:21 AM
mmartin061
banned

The biggest reason I didn't buy the car was because my refinance didn't go through, and still hasn't gone through. By the time the car went to auction it was priced at $32,900. There is no car anywhere near that price for an 11 with 41k miles on it. I could have financed it before refinancing the house but didn't want to take a chance. The F will always be there. I also didn't want to pay interest and full insurance for a car that was sitting primarily 95% of the year. In my head it didn't make sense. But when the place vets refinanced look out I will certainly be on the prowl. And it seems like I am not going to be so worried about buying one with 60-70k on it. Just a little bit less out of my pocket.
Old 12-19-15, 10:54 AM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

mmartin, are you refinancing your house?
Interesting way to look at not financing a car that you wont be driving, i have never heard anyone put it that way. To me it doesn't matter.

I take it you are opposed to driving to get an ISF. I am not really sure why some people are. The last 4 cars i purchased were all out of state and i got better value that way than staying local. I know ND is brutal as hell right now this time of year but Im sure getting an ISF now can be done, it just takes a little work. I purchased my Volvo S60R few years ago in the dead of winter. Purchase snow tires and wheels and mounted them ****s on the car in Denver before i drove all the way across the west back to Cali.
Old 12-19-15, 12:51 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tokenblkgy
mmartin, are you refinancing your house?
Interesting way to look at not financing a car that you wont be driving, i have never heard anyone put it that way. To me it doesn't matter.

I take it you are opposed to driving to get an ISF. I am not really sure why some people are. The last 4 cars i purchased were all out of state and i got better value that way than staying local. I know ND is brutal as hell right now this time of year but Im sure getting an ISF now can be done, it just takes a little work. I purchased my Volvo S60R few years ago in the dead of winter. Purchase snow tires and wheels and mounted them ****s on the car in Denver before i drove all the way across the west back to Cali.
I drove six hours from Rhode Island to Delaware to buy my 2011 ISF and it was so much fun. I would do that again in a heartbeat as it was a great opportunity to really get to know the car too
Old 12-19-15, 01:02 PM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by chrisp1
I drove six hours from Rhode Island to Delaware to buy my 2011 ISF and it was so much fun. I would do that again in a heartbeat as it was a great opportunity to really get to know the car too
No I think the explanation behind it is. I refinance my house with the money I have to get a lower payment so my tenants are paying more of the principle. I don't live in the house I own. It is in Milwaukee a duplex. I live in a studio in ND. If I can refinance my place then I buy the car with a home equity loan. I would still have enough money to take out now but there are certain personal peramiters behind why I am doing the things I am doing probably to much to get into here. I have no issue with driving a car back from out of state. I drove to Denver which was 600+ miles away to test drive the car. If I liked it and my financing went through before it was sold I would have bought it and had drove it back to Milwaukee with a friend then came back to ND. I have heated storage. I have bought cars out of state in the past in the likes of a Syclone and a 2002 Q45 from Indiana. I have been all over everything until the light bulb clicked on I should be looking here for a used car when the time comes. I am jealous of all of you and have yet to have the chips fall my way perfectly. Every time i think it is "time"....something happens against me. But it will happen. It's nice to get some comments and people interested in the posting for sure. What color is your 2011?

Last edited by mmartin061; 12-19-15 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-19-15, 03:46 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Mmartin, appologies for my post it may have come off the wrong way. I just realized half of it was cut off as i was typing all of it to you on my phone and my wife was yelling at me to "get off your phone" as we were preparing to run errands lol..

Well man i get your situation now. Not a bad way to handle business. So you would basically buy the IS-F store it in Milwaukee until the summer months and bring it back to ND? I can see how you don't want to pay for a car you don't drive but i think a few of us are in that boat and either have a DD or have situations like you. The good thing about getting one now is weather and timing of new inventory, especially if they are at dealers who just want to move them. As we all discussed in your other post, i think you will be happy with a 2010+ model but the 08-09's may be more affordable if you want to buy it outright.

Just another side note I had a bad experience with trying t do a HELOC with my local bank that i have had for 5+ years.. i couldn't believe they told me no!!! I then went with my mortgage broker who has done most of all my loans and re-fies for my house and rental property and he was able to get everything done and getting me way more money than what the bank was offering. So you may have better luck trying another time using someone else. I was actually able to get the ISF I'm in now because of the Refi i did with him ended up working out.

Quick Reply: First time test drive 2011 ISF