IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First wreck:(

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 02:49 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear-ending another car is always going to be the rear-ender's fault. At least you both are okay.
Old 12-01-15, 04:38 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, unfortunately following too close even with a phenomenal car like the IS and its brakes can't prevent a collision. But if it makes you feel any better - did you notice how bad that Acadia's paint job is? It looks like it has orange peel.

Your IS paint looks like glass even though it is now a damaged car. I noticed the way it's flaking off too. Strange.
Old 12-01-15, 05:35 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Originally Posted by MattyG
Yep, unfortunately following too close even with a phenomenal car like the IS and its brakes can't prevent a collision. But if it makes you feel any better - did you notice how bad that Acadia's paint job is? It looks like it has orange peel.

Your IS paint looks like glass even though it is now a damaged car. I noticed the way it's flaking off too. Strange.
Yeah I feel like the Acadia won't be too much to get fixed, probably just gonna pay the person in cash instead of going thru insurance for that too
Old 12-01-15, 05:50 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Yeah that may involve some schmoozing. The problem with today's cuv/suv vehicles is that everything costs way more than you think. She will probably get an upgrade on paint but they'll have to pull that unibody out to specs etc. What looks minor will turn into a nightmare so sometimes the insurance adjuster is better off haggling on your behalf than you.

It may cost you more but you're paying for insurance and making them very rich now they can pay too.
Old 12-02-15, 09:59 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Best of luck with this OP, I can totally understand your fear about insurance as a 20 yr old - shame about the ridiculous laws that always puts the blame on the rear-ender, had a friend who got rear- ended INTO another car and still was found at fault for hitting the car in front of him.
Old 12-02-15, 10:57 AM
2010ISF
Driver

Originally Posted by nks979
Best of luck with this OP, I can totally understand your fear about insurance as a 20 yr old - shame about the ridiculous laws that always puts the blame on the rear-ender, had a friend who got rear- ended INTO another car and still was found at fault for hitting the car in front of him.
Yeah I'm 20 too and my insurance is probably going to increase by like 30%... I couldn't imagine the anger your friend went thru for being found at fault for that
Old 12-02-15, 12:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,071 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Originally Posted by XutvJet
That's an easy repair.

Has the car been wrecked before? The reason I ask is that the delamination of the paint on the fender sure seems to indicate prior paint work. I've never seen OEM paint lift off like that.
I have seen the same thing on my F. Lexus OEM paint is not very good IMHO.

FWIW, mine just got fixed from similar damage, but the situation was very different. Driver in #1 lane on 2 lane left turn cuts in front of me in the rain. I slammed on the brakes, and avoided getting rear ended, but slid into the idiot sideways under acceleration. VDIM was no help at all. Expect about $9k in repairs - minimum. Mine ended up being $12k total, but I got my hood repainted (and a couple of other things) out of pocket. I figured I might as well have the whole front looking new.

Also - check your sunroof corners for dimples. Mine dimpled, so they had to straighten the roof as well. It is apparently fairly common for the 2IS chassis because it isn't nearly as stiff as you might like to believe.

Be glad your wheel didn't take a hit. The body shop refused to repair my wheel, saying it would not meet Lexus standards even though I told them just have it fixed at Wheel Wizard (they really are amazing at repairs), so the insurance company paid full retail for a 2012 wheel (just short of $2k!) and had it painted and clearcoated to match the rest of them at Wheel Wizard. The upside is, I got to keep the old wheel, so I'm sending it to Wheel Wizard to have a clean spare front.

Repairs took 6 weeks total, but I also got the fan bolt and fuel pressure sender recalls done at the same time. Those deserve their own separate write ups...
Old 12-02-15, 08:18 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have seen the same thing on my F. Lexus OEM paint is not very good IMHO.

FWIW, mine just got fixed from similar damage, but the situation was very different. Driver in #1 lane on 2 lane left turn cuts in front of me in the rain. I slammed on the brakes, and avoided getting rear ended, but slid into the idiot sideways under acceleration. VDIM was no help at all. Expect about $9k in repairs - minimum. Mine ended up being $12k total, but I got my hood repainted (and a couple of other things) out of pocket. I figured I might as well have the whole front looking new.

Also - check your sunroof corners for dimples. Mine dimpled, so they had to straighten the roof as well. It is apparently fairly common for the 2IS chassis because it isn't nearly as stiff as you might like to believe.

Be glad your wheel didn't take a hit. The body shop refused to repair my wheel, saying it would not meet Lexus standards even though I told them just have it fixed at Wheel Wizard (they really are amazing at repairs), so the insurance company paid full retail for a 2012 wheel (just short of $2k!) and had it painted and clearcoated to match the rest of them at Wheel Wizard. The upside is, I got to keep the old wheel, so I'm sending it to Wheel Wizard to have a clean spare front.

Repairs took 6 weeks total, but I also got the fan bolt and fuel pressure sender recalls done at the same time. Those deserve their own separate write ups...
Man you're situation sounds a lot worse than mine haha body shop said the insurance appraiser appraised the damage at $5,900 which is with a new bumper, fender, headlight, tire and painting of the hood. But the insurance company is paying me $50 a day for a rental car (even if I don't get one) while the car is being repaired, but I'm just using a family members car for the time being so the $50 a day is helping me cover some of my deductible
Old 12-07-15, 10:16 PM
DatMattLeX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn this all sounds painful. I hate to even wish it upon myself but I do wish, if I am going to get hit, it totals the car, barring any injuries of course.....
but seriously, anything less than that is torture.
Old 12-08-15, 11:04 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I have nightmares of accidents in my F. My F is accident free and I hope it stays like that. I live in a city with a lot of Fob drivers and almost got hit several times for stupid reasons. The one time a guy just pulls into my lane without looking and hits me, I was driving my beater (thank god lol)
Old 12-08-15, 12:02 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
I have nightmares of accidents in my F. My F is accident free and I hope it stays like that. I live in a city with a lot of Fob drivers and almost got hit several times for stupid reasons. The one time a guy just pulls into my lane without looking and hits me, I was driving my beater (thank god lol)
San Jose/ Fremont??? Lol..
Old 12-08-15, 01:08 PM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tokenblkgy
San Jose/ Fremont??? Lol..
Could be the 626!
Old 12-08-15, 05:50 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts