IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Whats this about single stage paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-15, 08:22 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

Stealthff

I appreciate the info. The photo was just a simple compound test. I finished it with a finishing wax which is the next step for that wax followed with a finishing foam pad. Paint looks amazing.

I did use a mixture with IPA maybe ill have to try the iron out.
Old 12-10-15, 08:35 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by nickj718
Stealthff

I appreciate the info. The photo was just a simple compound test. I finished it with a finishing wax which is the next step for that wax followed with a finishing foam pad. Paint looks amazing.

I did use a mixture with IPA maybe ill have to try the iron out.
If you're using Meguiar's D301 for your final step, IPA is counterproductive as it would remove or degrade any protection that is remaining from the wax in D301.

The point of an Isopropyl Alcohol/Eraser wipe down is to remove residual polishing oils or waxes before applying a paint coating as the coating needs a perfectly clean surface to bond to.

If you do plan to install a coating (sorry I did not read through the entire thread prior to posting), you should not be using D301 for your polishing step.

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 12-10-15 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-10-15, 08:55 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Im not completely sold on a coating. If the car is corrected and cared for properly from now on with the proper wash methods and detail methods it shouldn't have the swirls and scratches it has now.

I bought the car a month ago and the previous owner used not the best products and tools so at this point I'm fixing all of that

I may just go with a simple Ammo NYC reflex foundation

Also i am using the D301 and the only reason I am is to remove the haze from the correction compound.
Old 12-10-15, 09:05 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

It sounds like you're not familiar with the purpose of a paint coating.

A paint coating does not prevent swirls or scratches... despite what some companies will claim... this is NOT what they are made for. Their purpose is to provide a durable layer to protect your paint from environmental contamination. This your vehicle will look better for longer, and your vehicle will require less upkeep.

The Benefits of a Paint Coating by Zach McGovern
What Coating Should I Buy? by Zach McGovern

There are 3 basic categories of paint protection on the market these days: waxes, sealants, and coatings. I will go into some detail on these below, but I encourage you to please ask me if you have any further questions. All of these products serve the same general purpose - protect your paint from the environment - however they are all unique in their properties.

Waxes - These are products typically based on natural ingredients such as carnauba wax. Wax provides a very thin, short lived barrier on the surface. A true natural wax will provide protection for an average of 6-8 weeks, and should be applied very regularly to maintain adequate protection. Duration varies greatly depending on your environment, and if you are someone who does not enjoy regularly detailing their vehicle, I would suggest using another type of paint protection.

Examples: Menzerna Color Lock, Chemical Guys Pete's 53, Pinnacle Souveran

Sealants - These products are an evolution of the natural wax. A polymer sealant is a liquid product that is based on synthetic polymers rather than natural waxes. These products work just the same as waxes do in that they provide a thin barrier on top of your paint, however a polymer sealant is considerably more durable with most of them lasting between 4-6 months instead of weeks. Most of these products are very easy to apply either by hand or machine, and are recommended for added durability compared to waxes. Some people claim a wax provides a "warmer glow", so if you wish, you can top a sealant with a wax.

Examples: Blackfire Wet Diamond, Menzerna Power Lock

Coatings - Ceramic Paint Coatings are the latest evolution in paint protection. These coatings provide a layer of protection that is hundreds of times thicker than the average layer of wax. This barrier is also incredibly chemical resistant, and harder than most clear coats when fully cured. These products last for years, not weeks or months, when properly applied and maintained. There is no doubt that a paint coating provides the absolute best protection. There are some downfalls to a coating, too... they are rather expensive, they require a tremendous amount of prep work, and they are not as easy to apply as traditional waxes or sealants. For this reason, it is often recommended to consult a professional detailer to have a paint coating installed unless you're well versed in the cleaning, decontamination, and paint correction processes required before installing a paint coating.

Examples: CQuartz Finest (professional installation only), Opti Coat (professional installation only), 22ple VX3, Optimum Gloss Coat

In the end, each type of product will help to protect your vehicle. Each type of product may have its own appeal to certain people. You just need to choose the one that will be best for you and your vehicle. Most people these days will opt for a ceramic coating for the ease of maintenance alone, however these products also require considerably more time and effort to apply... so each have their pros and cons.

Hope that helps clear things up a little.

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 12-10-15 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-10-15, 09:10 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Sorry I should have clarified. I understand it will not prevent scratches and such. Im not sold on the semi-perminate nature of the product. Not sure I want that
Old 12-10-15, 09:15 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Sorry I should have clarified. I understand it will not prevent scratches and such. Im not sold on the semi-perminate nature of the product. Not sure I want that
What're your concerns in this regard?

A coating can simply be polished away as needed... there is no downside, in my mind, to the durable nature of the coating, but curious to hear your thoughts.

Also, I see you're in Illinois... most people are around the Chicago area, but if you happen to be in central IL I am located in Peoria and would be happy to provide assistance if needed.

-Zach
Old 12-10-15, 09:22 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Iv been detailing for a while but have never gave Coating as they are relatively new.

Before I try anything new i research the crap out of it, its just my nature. So I'm not apposed to a coating just don't know enough about it to pull the trigger.

Ill have to look into it
Old 12-10-15, 12:04 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 68 Posts

You want it, trust me. You won't be having to clay the car every season.
Old 12-10-15, 01:22 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Not entirely true, iron, carbon, etc can still impregnate the coating if not properly cared for causing uneven surface and can become contaminated, Realize its another coating in respect to clear coat to protect clear coat so the same ailments that can damage a clear coat similarly can cause havok to coatings, beside the ant-calcifying and other pros of the coatings. Dependent on the coating utilized the hydrophobic/hydrophilic properties can aide in repellance of contamination, but again proper care is required. Any one fill in.
Old 12-11-15, 02:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts
Default All Lexus paint is two stage (at least)

Here's some information from TIS to help understand what Lexus does.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus paint standards.pdf (62.6 KB, 140 views)