IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2008,2009,2010 isf???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-15 | 07:37 AM
mmartin061
banned

Default 2008,2009,2010 isf???

I have been on the verge twice this year of buying an ISF once in the summerish time and once a couple of weeks ago. First time I lost my job. Second time I am still waiting on my refinance to go through so I can buy it in cash. I couldn't justify spending interest and full insurance on a car that I didn't drive much, "yet". After all the reading I see a lot of people drawn to the 2008 model year. I am wondering why this is. Is it because they are becoming more affordable? Considering I pretty much now what the differences are year to year, I wouldn't be tracking the car but sure wouldn't mind taking it to the strip once in a while. And of course every once in a while I will get on it and would like a great handling car. Daily driver it won't be I have one of those 2008 Rav4 under 100k and 4wd just went out. . 2001 Lexus IS300 as well. Just looking for opinions and experiences. I also am wondering are people more prone to selling their 08's because warranty is over and the car is already 7+ years old? Any help would be appreciated since as soon as this deal goes through, hopefully, I will be buying one. Btw the 2011 I was looking at at an Audi dealership in Denver priced it from $41,995 at start down to 32,9something just before auction 41k miles on it. No better deal out there even close but I missed the boat

Last edited by mmartin061; 12-19-15 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-19-15 | 08:14 AM
STLblueF
Pole Position

I think Lexus produced more in 2008 than any other year, so that would help explain why they seem to be more available. I'd try to get a 2010 or newer if I had to do it over again. The LSD and better nav unit are worth it, although I'm not fond of the wheels that come on that year. When I bought mine, the dealer wanted 53K for a 2012 and the only other ones available were all 2008's so that made my decision really easy.
Old 12-19-15 | 09:47 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by STLblueF
I think Lexus produced more in 2008 than any other year, so that would help explain why they seem to be more available. I'd try to get a 2010 or newer if I had to do it over again. The LSD and better nav unit are worth it, although I'm not fond of the wheels that come on that year. When I bought mine, the dealer wanted 53K for a 2012 and the only other ones available were all 2008's so that made my decision really easy.
Yes that does make sense. The first year they sold the most. They do have a real nice one at Kia of Alliance in Ohio for just over 34k black with in my opinion a desirable white interior and only 44k looks super clean. 2010. I think that is a real good deal. Although no upgraded suspension. Only one I have driven was a 2011. I live far north where you have to drive several hundred miles to just see one. I assume you have an 08' in the blue color?
Old 12-19-15 | 10:44 AM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Go with 2010+, they are becoming cheaper, if you want a steal buy one in a state where it snows as they are wanting to move them before the snow really starts and it sits on the lot for 4+ months.
Old 12-19-15 | 10:53 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by Tokenblkgy
Go with 2010+, they are becoming cheaper, if you want a steal buy one in a state where it snows as they are wanting to move them before the snow really starts and it sits on the lot for 4+ months.
Ya that's what I am seeing that Denver car I was talking about.
Old 12-19-15 | 10:56 AM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

is that the black one at the Audi dealer?
Old 12-19-15 | 11:22 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

I bought my '08 w/53k mi. in June of this year for just under 30k. I'm still really happy with the purchase, BUT, if I were to do it again, I'd def go with a 2010 or later car for the torsen diff. as I also intend to do some occasional drag & autocrossing in the future.
Good luck with your search.
Old 12-19-15 | 12:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I personally went with the 2010 when I was shopping because I wanted the LSD and the better navi. I bought this car to go to the track so I wanted the right equipment for it. I still believe that the LSD is responsible for most of the lap time reduction between the 08 and 2011/2012. The suspension tweaks were to address the harshness and steering feel. It will help but the LSD is where the gold is . If you can afford the 2010 it's a no brainer. Also less issues with the water pumps.
Old 12-19-15 | 12:23 PM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I personally went with the 2010 when I was shopping because I wanted the LSD and the better navi. I bought this car to go to the track so I wanted the right equipment for it. I still believe that the LSD is responsible for most of the lap time reduction between the 08 and 2011/2012. The suspension tweaks were to address the harshness and steering feel. It will help but the LSD is where the gold is . If you can afford the 2010 it's a no brainer. Also less issues with the water pumps.
Thanks for the reply. As I stated there is that 2010 with 44k for 34k and that is within reason even if I dont get the refinance. I am thinking that price they may even take a little bit more off.
Old 12-19-15 | 12:59 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmartin061
Yes that does make sense. The first year they sold the most. They do have a real nice one at Kia of Alliance in Ohio for just over 34k black with in my opinion a desirable white interior and only 44k looks super clean. 2010. I think that is a real good deal. Although no upgraded suspension. Only one I have driven was a 2011. I live far north where you have to drive several hundred miles to just see one. I assume you have an 08' in the blue color?
Yeah, I have an 08 and added the 2013 led lights. I still love the car but I wish I could have one with a Torsen diff.
Old 12-19-15 | 01:10 PM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by STLblueF
Yeah, I have an 08 and added the 2013 led lights. I still love the car but I wish I could have one with a Torsen diff.
You can get an aftermarket one I hear it isn't cheap but on the forums have read it is far better than the stock one. And if you don't love it enough send it my way.
Old 12-19-15 | 01:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmartin061
Thanks for the reply. As I stated there is that 2010 with 44k for 34k and that is within reason even if I dont get the refinance. I am thinking that price they may even take a little bit more off.
beat them up. Its the end of December. In 2 weeks all their cars will take a hit on value.

Found this for you

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2010/02/...10-lexus-is-f/
Old 12-19-15 | 03:24 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

MMartin After all the countless reading I kept doing this was why I was shooting for a 10+. I have a Tru Trac torsen LSD in my Supra and it makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive over its stock LSD. All of the ISF's have something to offer but if you want a true driving experience and you drive your cars hard you may better appreciate the refinement of the 2010's over the previous models. If you don't give a crap about that and just want an ISF then the 08's and 09's are perfect for you as well.
Old 12-19-15 | 05:17 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I would agree and say get the 2010+ IS F. What makes it even more potent is the lsd. I have an 08 myself and am awaiting installation of my aftermarket lsd. Some people might not care for the headlights, the navigation hdd, suspension revisions, interior material, or the wheel designs, but that lsd sure does change the character of the car and its ability to take corners and accelerate through.

But there isn't anything wrong with an 08 and adding an lsd yourself, along with coilovers and new wheels and tires. What I'd like to see is how does one with a Torsen compare with an older F with the aftermarket lsd. That should be a fun treat. But that's if you don't want the factory lsd. Great revisions year after year kept the IS F relevant and competitive in its class. You'll be happy with whichever model year you get.
Old 12-19-15 | 05:39 PM
DanISFast
Driver School Candidate

I think you'd be wrong, the LSD certainly helps but it's definitely the full suspension and steering redo in 2011+ that really shaved the seconds off...

quoted from Car and Driver.

Three years back, an IS F turned a less-than-impressive 3:14.0. We said then, “A little attention to springs and damping might make this eager contender a real champ,” as the stiffly sprung F zapped confidence in high-speed corners.

Boy, were we right. Lexus has since tweaked all suspension elements. Spring rates are down in the front and up in the rear, and there are larger anti-roll bars, stiffer subframe bushings, and longer bump stops, which effectively increase spring rates when the car is nearing its maximum roll angle. Lexus also lightened the front hubs and control arms and slapped a Torsen limited-slip differential in the rear axle. The result is BMW M3–matching performance around VIR (3:05.4). That’s heady company for Lexus to be keeping. Especially considering that the IS F weighs 3801 pounds (195 more than the M3) and makes only two additional horsepower, at 416.

Lexus also redesigned the gauges, enlarging the tachometer and relocating it to the center of the instrument binnacle. But it could have removed the thing altogether because we did not so much as peep at it: The IS F’s audible shift warning is plenty loud, even when you are wearing a helmet. While the alert is slightly obnoxious on public roads, it lets you keep your eyes up when driving on a track.

The old F rolled around on the track like a keel-less boat in gusting winds. The aforementioned updates quell this tendency and increase confidence. Our backside impressions are supported by numbers: The F exits sector two 13.1 mph quicker than before, at 109.1. Steering is communicative, and the chassis is set up for safe, moderate understeer, but vector adjustment is just a throttle tweak away—the torquey engine (371 pound-feet) can break the rear tires loose easily. The brakes are fantastic, too. The pedal might be a tad wooden (more pliant pine than hard oak), but the system remains fade-free after multiple laps of abuse, something none of the other large sedans could claim this year. The 180-degree character change performed by this Lexus gives us hope that Toyota can still make fun-to-drive cars. Now  where’s our Supra?

Quick Reply: 2008,2009,2010 isf???