IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ATF (fluid) for IS F

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-15 | 07:25 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Ive always did the drain pan/fill from dipstick method for all my families toyotas and they've actually made a huge improvement in shifting even by draining the pan and refilling, even the new ws fluid. I'm debating if I should tackle this the same way, I bought the washers from the dealer and a box of ws fluid so once its done for the first time it should be cake doing it multiple times to get it where I want.
Old 01-03-16 | 09:11 PM
Justind27
Instructor

What washers? And there is no dipstick on our cars transmission. What is the fluid that goes in our trans?
Old 01-03-16 | 11:31 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by k20trick
Ive always did the drain pan/fill from dipstick method for all my families toyotas and they've actually made a huge improvement in shifting even by draining the pan and refilling, even the new ws fluid. I'm debating if I should tackle this the same way, I bought the washers from the dealer and a box of ws fluid so once its done for the first time it should be cake doing it multiple times to get it where I want.
i believe our transmission is the same as a diff. a fill and drain plug on the unit.
Old 01-04-16 | 07:03 AM
k20trick
Instructor

I already got the washers for those plugs.
Old 01-17-16 | 04:05 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by kzlflash
If you're ever driven a manual transmission car, I'd say it's most similar to a slipping clutch. When you press on the gas, the RPM will shoot up a few hundred RPM while at the same time not really accelerating. It'll then "catch" and the RPM will drop down and you'll start gaining power. My car (which also has 60k miles) has the cold flare. It also flares when it's warm and when going down hill (at times, not always). I have an appointment with Lexus of Riverside to get my trans fluid checked. If they find it low, they're going to help add some fluid. I'm probably going to tell them to also extract some so that I could send a sample to Blackstone.

Of all the dealers I called in the greater Los Angeles area, Lexus of Riverside, and specifically Erik Smith (SA) seemed to be the most knowledgeable about the trans issue I described, and the most knowledgable when it came down to the actual procedures for the fluid check/fill. Most SA were telling me it would only take 2 hours for the check and were asking way more than what Erik was asking. For reference, he asked for less than 200, while the other dealers (which seemed to have no idea about the complexity of the procedures) was asking for 350+. If you're in SoCal, I suggest giving that dealer a call and asking for Erik. Or, you can wait for my results. I have my appointment schedule for January 14th.
Hey KZ, has L of Riverside solved the problem for you?
Old 01-18-16 | 10:33 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Originally Posted by k20trick
Hey KZ, has L of Riverside solved the problem for you?
Yup, got the results back from the SA on Friday. I had the dealer pull a sample for analysis purposes. The transmission fluid was low by 1/2 a quart. I was stuck with making the decision of having them top off the fluid or to replace all 11/12 quarts (can't remember the exact quantity off the top of my head). Despite the only piece of information available being the color of the fluid (which is not a good way to determine the remaining life of the fluid) I went ahead and had the dealer replace all the fluid for peace of mind. Some may believe this to be a waste of money, especially since my fluid hadn't been analyzed, but in the end at least I know there is fresh fluid and the fluid is properly leveled. Regardless I'm sending in my sample to Blackstone to see what they say. I'll update this thread when the results finally come back, but that may be a few weeks from now. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to drive my car to determine if the flare was still present, but time will tell.

I've attached a picture of the sample, although it probably doesn't say much:
ATF (fluid) for IS F-8cin1wk.jpg
Old 01-18-16 | 11:42 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Looks pretty typical. Odds are it's fine, but I am a lot more curious how they swapped out the fluid. I've only seen one method I would trust to do that with only 12 quarts on hand. Most of the rest of them would use 18 to 20 quarts because there is no way to segregate the good from the bad with the vast majority of flushing tools out there.
Old 01-18-16 | 12:54 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Looks pretty typical. Odds are it's fine, but I am a lot more curious how they swapped out the fluid. I've only seen one method I would trust to do that with only 12 quarts on hand. Most of the rest of them would use 18 to 20 quarts because there is no way to segregate the good from the bad with the vast majority of flushing tools out there.
Unsure how much fluid they actually used for the flush and fill, could have been more. The service notes only mention that the fluid was 1/2 quart low and that they replaced it with 12 quarts of fluid. They could have rounded up or something seeing as how the trans holds a total of 11 something. Like I said in the previous posts, this SA/dealer was the only one that accurately described the general process of the fluid level check and fill (based on your accounts). The SA looked and sounded the part. So I based on decision on this assessed experience. Either way, everything is documented in my service notes and if there ever is a problem in a near future, I can bring it up with them.
Old 01-18-16 | 01:38 PM
k20trick
Instructor

How much did they charge you for the flush? Almost wanting to go to them as well...
Old 01-18-16 | 01:44 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Had mine done at Lexus of Seattle for about $140
Old 01-18-16 | 02:00 PM
k20trick
Instructor

No way can it be that low for a full fluid change a case of twelve bottles cost almost that much
Old 01-18-16 | 02:57 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Justind27
Had mine done at Lexus of Seattle for about $140
That was about how much they charged me for the level check (plus a small amount to top off). Since I replaced all the fluid, it was substantially more, but nothing that broke the bank considering the car we have.
Old 01-18-16 | 07:11 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Drained 3 quarts at a time and on last fill, did the check method is what I was told. Still not 100% fluid, but pretty darn close. After 3-4 fills and check, it should be sufficient.
Old 01-19-16 | 02:38 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Let me find the papers today I'll see what my service advisor booked
Old 12-17-18 | 01:53 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Default Changing ATF Fluid (Help)

Without all controversy, I will be doing a 4 Quart Drain and fill on the IS F. I need help though.

I understand how to get to the proper temps using the OBD, but I wanted to know if I have the steps recalled correctly.

Vehicles is Cold ( Winter Morning 50 F degrees )

1.Open Fill Port
2.Open Drain Port
3.Let X quarts drain and measure amount.
4.Put X Quarts back into fill port
5. Test Temp with OBD II

​​​​​​Im unsure if the fill port on the IS F is also the overflow port. Someone please input me on that.

Also would it be better to drain and fill cold to get better measurements? If I was off would I have to wsit for the car to completely cool down again?

Quick Reply: ATF (fluid) for IS F