IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS the RC F really worth the pennies...Check out these vids

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-15, 11:10 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
RCF looks great. Most RCF owners hate to admit, they wished it was a lot faster than the ISF since it has 4 doors. If i was looking to buy a coupe, sadly the RCF wouldn't even make the list of cars i would look at.. just not fast enough for a 2 door sports car when compared to what else you can get.
I totally disagree. The RC-F feels significantly faster than the IS-F at speeds above 60 MPH, and is a bargain for what you get. What other coupes are in the same price range that are "a lot faster" than the IS-F? I was strongly leaning towards the Jaguar F-Type R, but reliability issues drove me away. The Jag had about 80 more HP, and was over $50k more than I paid for the RC-F.
Old 12-26-15, 12:28 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,775 Posts

At higher speeds, Lexus RCF is indeed much quicker. That is mostly because of the top rpm heavier powerband of the RCF.

For example, in German tests the RCF consistently puts down significantly quicker 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph) acceleration times. RCF was also much quicker than the Mustang GT 5.0.

Lexus ISF 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph): 16.6 seconds

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/10/19/au...-vs-alpina-b3/

Lexus ISF 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph): 17.8 seconds

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/merce...t-3916204.html

Lexus ISF 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph): 16.3 seconds

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/v8-sp...t-2612031.html

Lexus RCF 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph): 15.4 seconds

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/ford-...t-5706398.html

Lexus RCF 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph): 15.1 seconds

http://www.germancarforum.com/thread...era-gts.52957/

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-26-15 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-26-15, 12:37 PM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
At higher speeds, Lexus RCF is indeed much quicker. That is mostly because of the top rpm heavier powerband of the RCF.

For example, in German tests the RCF consistently puts down significantly quicker 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph) acceleration times. RCF was also much quicker than the Mustang GT 5.0. That is many car lengths at a speed like 200 km/h.

Lexus ISF 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph): 16.6 seconds

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/10/19/au...-vs-alpina-b3/

Lexus RCF 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph): 15.4 seconds

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/ford-...t-5706398.html

Lexus RCF 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph): 15.1 seconds

http://www.germancarforum.com/thread...era-gts.52957/
Thank you for confirming what I suspected

Don't get me wrong - I LOVED the IS-F - but once you spend some time with the RC-F, you come to realize that it's whole different animal than the IS-F.
Old 12-26-15, 01:02 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CodyJames
Thank you for confirming what I suspected

Don't get me wrong - I LOVED the IS-F - but once you spend some time with the RC-F, you come to realize that it's whole different animal than the IS-F.
Yet, another test. This is possibly the best 200 km/h acceleration showing I found so far for the RCF.

http://autowizja.pl/2015/12/lexus-rc-f-477-km-pomiary/

Lexus RCF 0 - 200 km/h: 14.7 seconds
Old 12-26-15, 01:05 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by AshyAnklez
But what other coupes offers realibility like a RC F
thats like asking me about miles per gallon doesn't really concern me. i dont shop for reliability when purchasing my cars since they are usually newer with low miles and a warranty.

I totally disagree. The RC-F feels significantly faster than the IS-F at speeds above 60 MPH, and is a bargain for what you get. What other coupes are in the same price range that are "a lot faster" than the IS-F? I was strongly leaning towards the Jaguar F-Type R, but reliability issues drove me away. The Jag had about 80 more HP, and was over $50k more than I paid for the RC-F.

corvette stingray, challenger hellcat, m3, m4, ctsv coupe, mustang gt350r, etc.
Old 12-26-15, 04:32 PM
CodyJames
Intermediate

thats like asking me about miles per gallon doesn't really concern me. i dont shop for reliability when purchasing my cars since they are usually newer with low miles and a warranty.

corvette stingray, challenger hellcat, m3, m4, ctsv coupe, mustang gt350r, etc.
I should've clarified - "What other coupes are in the same price range that are "a lot faster" than the IS-F, and that have the same quality?" Chevy, Dodge, GM? Nope. Neither the M3 or 4 are faster than the F. The Mustang is nice, but it's miles behind the F in terms of refinement.
Old 12-26-15, 05:04 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

I should've clarified - "What other coupes are in the same price range that are "a lot faster" than the IS-F, and that have the same quality?" Chevy, Dodge, GM? Nope. Neither the M3 or 4 are faster than the F. The Mustang is nice, but it's miles behind the F in terms of refinement.
m3 /m4 not faster than the F?
Old 12-26-15, 05:08 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

m3 /m4 not faster than the F?
It actually isn't, more like a 50/50% crapshoot..seems both cars are dead even. check out the 5th Gear comparison tests..
Old 12-26-15, 05:15 PM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tokenblkgy
It actually isn't, more like a 50/50% crapshoot..seems both cars are dead even. check out the 5th Gear comparison tests..
Yup, and it's pretty well documented. Not to mention that my own "road tests" bear out the same
Old 12-26-15, 07:34 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not even know this video was out.
It looks like the RCF held its ground.

[QUOTE=ISFPOWER;9299947]thats like asking me about miles per gallon doesn't really concern me. i dont shop for reliability when purchasing my cars since they are usually newer with low miles and a warranty.

So then why buy an IS F. You could have gotten an M3 with warranty. How many warranty claims would you have to make with another brand? I am not sure. But to say reliability is no concern. I have German blood flowing through my vains (VW, Audi, and M3). The night before I purchased the IS F I jumped on both forums for M3 and IS F. Reliability was the deciding factor for me to purchase IS F. I am just now really starting to let go of the German Idealogy . Again why not buy an M3 sedan? Because the E90 was better as far as performance, but not on gas and sure as hell not reliability. Oh yeah warranty on Lexus is better as well. In 2013 M3 reduce coverage from 6yrs/100 to 5years/75k. My 2010 IS F has better warranty than a 2013 M3. BMW don't even believe in their product. And let me tell you this if it were not for the $4400 SMG issue I had on E46 M3. I would not be in my reliable saloon... I can remember my cousin who knows a lot more about cars mention the IS F to me and I would laugh and tell him **** the Japs M3 till I die. I am still alive bro. This was the whole point in starting this thread because I am not in love with my IS F. I only brought the car because it made sense too, oh yeah RELIABLE too. The RC F however was eye catching, a coupe, and had some nice features (M4 blows it out of the water when it comes to features) and was looking at possibly upgrading to it. That is when I stumble on to that video that I started the thread with. I thought to myself IS F can run with RC-F like that. But since then I am glad some RC F owners spoke of their experiences about the RC F

Last edited by AshyAnklez; 12-26-15 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-26-15, 07:52 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Why would anyone pick a wet road to have a drag race........watch the topgear comparison....it's wet as well lol but the bmw embarrasses it. Moral of the story I guess is that the rcf is similar in performance to the isf/m cars

Last edited by chrisp1; 12-26-15 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-26-15, 08:10 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=AshyAnklez;9300250]I did not even know this video was out. Drag Race Between BMW M4 & Lexus RC-F (1/3) - Fifth Gear - YouTube

So then why buy an IS F. You could have gotten an M3 with warranty. How many warranty claims would you have to make with another brand? I am not sure. But to say reliability is no concern. I have German blood flowing through my vains (VW, Audi, and M3). The night before I purchased the IS F I jumped on both forums for M3 and IS F. Reliability was the deciding factor for me to purchase IS F. I am just now really starting to let go of the German Idealogy . Again why not buy an M3 sedan? Because the E90 was better as far as performance, but not on gas and sure as hell not reliability. Oh yeah warranty on Lexus is better as well. In 2013 M3 reduce coverage from 6yrs/100 to 5years/75k. My 2010 IS F has better warranty than a 2013 M3. BMW don't even believe in their product. And let me tell you this if it were not for the $4400 SMG issue I had on E46 M3. I would not be in my reliable saloon... I can remember my cousin who knows a lot more about cars mention the IS F to me and I would laugh and tell him **** the Japs M3 till I die. I am still alive bro. This was the whole point in starting this thread because I am not in love with my IS F. I only brought the car because it made sense too, oh yeah RELIABLE too. The RC F however was eye catching, a coupe, and had some nice features (M4 blows it out of the water when it comes to features) and was looking at possibly upgrading to it. That is when I stumble on to that video that I started the thread with. I thought to myself IS F can run with RC-F like that. But since then I am glad some RC F owners spoke of their experiences about the RC F

well ive had the isf for about 4 years now. the m3 was the car i was going to get at the time which is in my first post i made on this forum way back t hen. the m3 was not faster than the ISF and the ISF came with rear a ton more options and 125k extended warranty. i just turned over 41k miles this month.

i also drive a bmw m6 2006 s85 v10.

the rcf is not faster than the m3/m4. its a simple question. is the RCF faster than the m3/m4 f80 and the answer is no.
Old 12-26-15, 08:19 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Originally Posted by chrisp1
Why would anyone pick a wet road to have a drag race........watch the topgear comparison....it's wet as well lol but the bmw embarrasses it. Moral of the story I guess is that the rcf is similar in performance to the isf/m cars
Looked at the video. Good observation. I would like to see some dry land runs...
Old 12-26-15, 08:24 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Using the same analogy, the year 1 E90/E92 M3 stock was also quicker in tests around a race track than the earlier version of the ISF. RCF is also in its second year right now. The difference in the early years was so big that the E92 M3 did 8:05 around Nurburgring and the ISF did it 8:19 (both being driven by Horst Von Saurma, Sport Auto).

It was consistently quicker than the ISF on nearly every track and every test especially in the first few years.

People picked an ISF over a superior track car, which was the E90/E92 M3. It was not until the 2011+ ISF came along when it became very close to the M3. Yet, it is OK to bash the RCF for not being as quick as the M4. RCF will be continuously improved. That is something Yaguchi has made clear, but as for the 1st year, it is only fair to compare the ISF year 1 or 2 with E90/E92 M3 in year 1 or 2.

well ive had the isf for about 4 years now. the m3 was the car i was going to get at the time which is in my first post i made on this forum way back t hen. the m3 was not faster than the ISF and the ISF came with rear a ton more options and 125k extended warranty. i just turned over 41k miles this month.

the rcf is not faster than the m3/m4. its a simple question. is the RCF faster than the m3/m4 f80 and the answer is no.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-26-15 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-26-15, 08:27 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

[QUOTE=ISFPOWER;9300269]
Originally Posted by AshyAnklez
I did not even know this video was out. Drag Race Between BMW M4 & Lexus RC-F (1/3) - Fifth Gear - YouTube

Have you had any issues with M6? That was one of my choices. Love that car too. Then again I love all M cars...

Quick Reply: IS the RC F really worth the pennies...Check out these vids