Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 01:56 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Reviving this discussion thread..

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I need this for my Supra. It goes a month sitting pretty often and it kills batteries like nobody's business.
My IS F has been sitting since mid March with my current COVID 19 work from home arrangements.

I've been pretty much just been taking unnecessary Fun drives to keep the juices flowing..

My Optima Red Top tells me it's not happy with my WFH duties as its been a bit slow to turn over the starter lately..

What tickle charges are you all using today to keep the battery 100% ??

Thanks

Joe Z
Old 08-08-20, 10:44 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,977 Likes on 2,406 Posts

I bought a relatively high end charger with an AGM setting. From what I have learned online, AGM needs a different charging profile (geez, don't they ALL seem to have special needs?), and Optima is the original AGM spiral wound battery. I no longer have an Optima in my Supra, I have a conventional AGM, but I will be replacing it with a LiFePo4 like the one I have in my IS F because it's light and spins the engine on start like no battery I've ever had before. It also sits for a couple of weeks with zero issues when I want it to start.

The charger I got is a Schumacher XC-103CA (current equivalent model is SC1393) mostly because it has the AGM setting and I found it open box at my local Lowe's for $49. I couldn't pass that up. I retired my previous charger as it did not have an AGM setting, and my experience was it didn't do a good job of keeping my AGM batteries alive over the long term with long periods (sometimes months) of sitting on a charger.

I totally get not wanting to drop $600 on a LiFePo4 battery, but I could not be happier with mine. It really makes a difference you can experience every time you hit the start button.
Old 08-08-20, 11:27 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Question

@lobuxracer great details...

I was looking at the Battery Tender JR... Seems they have two that may work the 750 or the 800mA

https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...tery-Charger_7

What do you think??

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 08-08-20 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-08-20, 03:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Joe Z
@lobuxracer great details...

I was looking at the Battery Tender JR... Seems they have two that may work the 750 or the 800mA

https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...tery-Charger_7

What do you think??

Joe Z
Looks like it would be fine for maintenance.
The following users liked this post:
Joe Z (08-09-20)
Old 08-09-20, 11:13 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 81 Posts

I was also wondering if I should buy a battery tender as well... Since March, I think I've put on maybe 200 miles? Previous to the whole COVID/Shelter In Place, I was doing around 250 miles per week.
Old 08-09-20, 12:00 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
I was also wondering if I should buy a battery tender as well... Since March, I think I've put on maybe 200 miles? Previous to the whole COVID/Shelter In Place, I was doing around 250 miles per week.
I ordered the Battery Tender Jr 800mA on Amazon Prime.. Should have it in a day or two..

Don't want to deal with dead Red Top

Joe Z
Old 08-09-20, 12:19 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I have a Costco unit, I think Duracell brand. It’s supposed to self regulate based on battery charge, and supposedly capable of charging multiple battery types.

no matter what button I push, it charges at 100% capacity, 100% of the time.

Id return it, but I destroyed the package and it’s been too long. It’ll go for a dumpster swim eventually.
Old 08-09-20, 01:37 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 268 Likes on 152 Posts

I got a Bosch Smart Charge Pro a couple years ago and used it for a mostly garaged car with a lead-acid battery while I sorted through a problem with its starter motor and alternator. It charges quickly (evidently up to 7A) and tapers off to trickle charge profile nicely. I like having situational awareness from the LED voltage display. It automatically detects battery operating voltage and chemistry. But I never used it with an AGM, so cannot comment on that capability.

This unit is fairly capable...hoping I will never need another charger/maintainer.

I bought it off Amazon for $85...the usual caveats on price volatility apply.
Amazon Amazon

Autozone currently lists it for $100.
https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...ger/719747_0_0

Bosch charger model lineup.
Old 08-10-20, 07:09 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

I bought a few of these when costco was closing them out for the duracell ones. I've used them on power wheels, the lawnmower and the cars without issue.

Battery Tender
Old 08-10-20, 08:50 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like it would be fine for maintenance.
Amazon Prime came through already and did the 5 min install of the 800aM unit..

Seemed like a clean fast install until the eyelet ring broke clean off on the positive side
Could have just been bad luck I guess... I was like why isn't it going into charge mode after reading the LED indicators.. Sure enough the eyelet was broken in the insulator.

New unit is already on the way again from Prime but in the meantime I'm using it with the alligator clamps..

Will need to inspect the new one before wrenching on the terminals again. For the permanent cable install.

Joe Z
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Z:
iH8RICERZ (08-11-20), PJSnow (08-11-20)
Old 08-11-20, 07:57 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

My battery was at 11.98 - still starting the F but as I said it's been on the slow side for turnover.

It was somewhere above 80% according to the LED indicator and it went into charge mode.. This morning I tested it was right around 13.08 fully charged and in maintenance mode..

I disconnected the battery tender and put it on another car.

Few hours later I tested the Optima again and it was holding at 12.54

Good to mention I started it last week from what I recall..

Edit: Just did first start of this week and it was like a new battery.. Turned over super quick..!!

Charging system on Tech Service / Nav Screen showed the Voltage reading doing well at 14.0 to 14.2 , only ran it a few mins.

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 08-11-20 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-12-20, 08:32 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Joe Z
My battery was at 11.98 - still starting the F but as I said it's been on the slow side for turnover.

It was somewhere above 80% according to the LED indicator and it went into charge mode.. This morning I tested it was right around 13.08 fully charged and in maintenance mode..

I disconnected the battery tender and put it on another car.

Few hours later I tested the Optima again and it was holding at 12.54

Good to mention I started it last week from what I recall..

Edit: Just did first start of this week and it was like a new battery.. Turned over super quick..!!

Charging system on Tech Service / Nav Screen showed the Voltage reading doing well at 14.0 to 14.2 , only ran it a few mins.

Joe Z
It only briefly stays at that voltage. As soon as the charging system in the car senses full charge, it drops to 13.3v. I've tested this a couple of times and always got the same result.
Old 08-12-20, 02:37 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

It only briefly stays at that voltage. As soon as the charging system in the car senses full charge, it drops to 13.3v. I've tested this a couple of times and always got the same result.
Yes typically in first starts of the day this is what happens.. The read out at battery was the same..

Next time I drive all check it further..

Joe Z
Old 08-12-20, 09:10 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 81 Posts

Going to order one now... went for a brief ride to run errands yesterday with the kids, but I have a feeling the car will be sitting again for a while since distant learning starts tomorrow so I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 08-15-20, 09:09 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Amazon Prime had the new one here within a couple of days..

Got the eyelets / harness wired up and all is working well.

These eyelet rings do not like to be bent, so I need to get an extra nut on the negative side so I can flip the wire and not bend the ring..

Not driving daily anytime soon so this will keep the Optima ready to go when the time comes..

Joe Z

Quick Reply: ? on use of a battery tender.