IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Front Brake Pads Brake Indicators Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 08:03 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Front Brake Pads Brake Indicators Removal

Has anyone removed the front brake pads level indicator, mines are squeeking and I can clearly see the pads have a minimum 60% life left. Id like to run these pads for at least a few more months however the indicators are touching the rotors when they have a lot of life left.

Either I can remove these indicators or bend them back a little bit had anyone tried this?
Old 01-03-16, 08:41 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ISF brakes are known to squeal every now and then. But if it is excessive, check that your shims are properly greased.
Mine squealed excessively, I thought the pad also may have been running low. But when I pulled the rear pads I noticed the idiots at the Lexus dealership greased the area between the shim and pad, and not between the shim and piston. This was done by the previous owners expense. Greased the rear shims properly and no more squealing.
Old 01-03-16, 09:43 AM
k20trick
Instructor

I will try that... they do squeek excessively
Old 01-03-16, 09:55 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

When mine start squealing its because of a track day and its only the rears. I do a couple of hard stops in traffic and its gone. Are they glazed?? Are you aggressive on the brakes ?
Old 01-03-16, 10:14 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Mine is the front, its not glazed but there is uneven pad wear but still has a lot of life left. It only occurs when lightly on the pedal right before coming to a stop.
Old 01-03-16, 11:59 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Most performance pads make noise on light stops. I can get just about any pad to groan loudly by just lifting until the car starts to move and holding the brakes lightly.

I would try rebedding them first to get the noise threshold lower. If that doesn't work, you'll need a different pad compound.

If it really is your wear noise makers, you can bend them back. But you need to be sure they are the source of the noise first. There should be a very shiny edge on the tab if they are actually contacting the rotor.
Old 01-03-16, 03:54 PM
k20trick
Instructor

So I tried the lubing method took both fronts off and lubed cleaned, lubed them up (with brake grease) on both the inside and out of shim. So I figured I'd do the rears too walah the squeek was still there.... So I tried to bed back in by doing several 60-0mph stops man those brakes grab hard its the first time I tested these brakes and I gotta hand it to the engineers for providing a great set of brakes on this car. Not only that, the brakes are super easy to remove and install so double thumbs up to them. After a few stops from 60-0 they actually do not make a single sound, I kept testing and testing. So I dont know if lubing them up helped, or re-bedding them in with the stops helped regardless Ill have to drive for a week or so to be able to tell.

On a side note, I found that my rear rotors and brakes are brand new while the front rotors are brembo I am unsure what the pad is because there was no label on it. So it might be an aftermarket pad that the previous owner put in. Does anyone know if the front pads have brembo label on them?

Here is how my front pads looked while the rear had the brembo stamp to them.
Attached Thumbnails Front Brake Pads Brake Indicators Removal-img_1722.jpg  
Old 01-03-16, 05:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

None of the pads are Brembo. The OEM pads are Jurid, and it is stamped into the backing plate. The pad in the picture is anyone's guess. We've been over this more than once on this forum.