IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Everything is Going Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-16, 09:21 PM
sahelmad24
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Everything is Going Crazy

Guys please help! I have a 2008 ISF with a k&n intake and QTP exhaust cutouts. About a month ago my car died on me and when I restarted it, the car went into limp mode. The "check vsc" light is on along with the traction light and CEL. I took it to my mechanic and he said I needed to replace the MAF sensor and I did. 100 miles later the car went into limp mode again. So I took it to a mechanic that knows Lexus vehicles very well apparently, and he diagnosed it to be my intake. So he replaced it with the stock intake. Now I've driven another 100 miles and the problem has come back again. The car is throwing all kinds of codes when I connect the obd2 scanner to it.

It is throwing p0031, p0037, p0051, p0057, p0102, p1360, p1361, and a whole bunch more.

If anyone can please help point me in the right direction, that would be great. I really really don't want to take it to the dealership, as it is terrible and I haven't had any good experiences there. My last guess is that my cutouts cooked my o2 sensors but I have them placed after the primary cats.

Thanks,
Sahel
Old 01-07-16, 03:35 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,412 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by sahelmad24
Guys please help! I have a 2008 ISF with a k&n intake and QTP exhaust cutouts. About a month ago my car died on me and when I restarted it, the car went into limp mode. The "check vsc" light is on along with the traction light and CEL. I took it to my mechanic and he said I needed to replace the MAF sensor and I did. 100 miles later the car went into limp mode again. So I took it to a mechanic that knows Lexus vehicles very well apparently, and he diagnosed it to be my intake. So he replaced it with the stock intake. Now I've driven another 100 miles and the problem has come back again. The car is throwing all kinds of codes when I connect the obd2 scanner to it.

It is throwing p0031, p0037, p0051, p0057, p0102, p1360, p1361, and a whole bunch more.

If anyone can please help point me in the right direction, that would be great. I really really don't want to take it to the dealership, as it is terrible and I haven't had any good experiences there. My last guess is that my cutouts cooked my o2 sensors but I have them placed after the primary cats.

Thanks,
Sahel

Looks like most the codes you mentioned are related to failed 02 sensors or circuit. I would replace those first. One of your codes is related to MAF sensor, but that could be eventually triggered because of a failing primary 02 sensor. The weird thing is that P1360, P1361 are ignition related...

Are you sure this car hasn't been in a flood or something that could cause ECU failure? How long have you had it?

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 01-07-16, 07:02 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,064 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Is the exhaust dumping in front of the O2 sensors? Also - there are four O2 sensors, you mentioned they are behind the primary cats, so which ones are you talking about, the primary O2 or the secondary O2?
Old 01-07-16, 12:36 PM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Get rid of your cutouts. Every exhaust cutout leaks eventually. every.single.one.

02 Sensor issues can throw a TON of oddball codes. A failing downstream 02 sensor can throw codes from the upstream sensor. Start with the cheaper 02 sensors and work your way from there.
Old 01-07-16, 02:00 PM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the codes is the MAF - pull the maf and clean. Often the K&N oil screws with the sensor. That's your easiest choice.

FYI: A lot of Toyota's I've owned lean toward a dying alternator when it throws all the dash lights. Test the voltage. It's worth checking.

If it's the alternator, replace with the Lexus part, NOT autozone, etc. Trust me, the last one I tried an aftermarket one in I changed 3 times in 3 months and finally used a Toyota one. Never had another issue.

Last edited by rmillsISF; 01-07-16 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-07-16, 02:09 PM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rmillsISF
One of the codes is the MAF - pull the maf and clean. Often the K&N oil screws with the sensor. That's your easiest choice.

FYI: A lot of Toyota's I've owned lean toward a dying alternator when it throws all the dash lights. Test the voltage. It's worth checking.

If it's the alternator, replace with the Lexus part, NOT autozone, etc. Trust me, the last one I tried an aftermarket one in I changed 3 times in 3 months and finally used a Toyota one. Never had another issue.
Good call. A dying battery can exhibit similar symptoms. Sometimes it can be just enough to crank the car, but they'll typically throw ABS and TRAC lights.
Old 01-07-16, 03:13 PM
Jaysmith2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably unlikely, BUT the Gas cap will throw VSC, traction and CEL. Make sure it's tight, then if you can "shake it' off, it needs replaced. A few drive cycles will clear it.

Just did it on my GX470, $20 gas cap later, lights gone, car runs great.....
Old 01-07-16, 03:28 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rmillsISF

Same thing happened with my GS400. What a pain.
Old 01-07-16, 03:44 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 166 Posts

I have a rebuilt alternator from Rock Auto. 8 months and no problems.
Old 01-07-16, 03:55 PM
USB_F
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where in TX are you?
Old 01-07-16, 06:23 PM
v8sedan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe a visit to the dealership is required at this point, sometimes we try to save a couple of bucks (me included) by going independant mechanics and it cost more at the end
Old 01-07-16, 07:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I'd buy the o2 sensors and have the dealer install them and clear the codes. They can also make sure all is ok.
Old 01-07-16, 10:01 PM
sahelmad24
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys so much!!! I'm going tomorrow back to the place to have them check out the o2 sensors. I think that's what it is. But if not, then i'll take it to the dealership. Which o2 sensors should I start with?
Old 01-07-16, 10:02 PM
sahelmad24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by USB_F
Where in TX are you?
I'm in Houston! Where are you?
Old 01-07-16, 10:03 PM
sahelmad24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Is the exhaust dumping in front of the O2 sensors? Also - there are four O2 sensors, you mentioned they are behind the primary cats, so which ones are you talking about, the primary O2 or the secondary O2?
They are dumping out behind the primary cats so hopefully aren't messing with the primary sensors. I did that so I wouldn't throw a CEL with the cutouts.

Quick Reply: Everything is Going Crazy