IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

A Glimmer of Hope for Tuning? (Don't Hold Your Breath)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 11:49 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

And he calculates nearly 25% drivetrain loss on RWD? Odd.
Old 01-19-16, 12:20 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I think we should all wait for the RR Racing tune. I spoke to Rafi last week and he gave me a bit of insight of just not the tune but of the IS F in general. He's very passionate about the car and definitely wants it to be competitive in its respected segment. I have full confidence that he's working the ins and outs of this tune, so it runs smooth and perfect. I think his team has proven themselves to be very serious about taking our platform to the next level. We owe it to them to be patient...and the best part is that they own an actual F. Not like these other shops coming out of the woodwork and all of a sudden figuring our cars out.
Old 01-19-16, 12:22 PM
nickj718
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
I think we should all wait for the RR Racing tune. I spoke to Rafi last week and he gave me a bit of insight of just not the tune but of the IS F in general. He's very passionate about the car and definitely wants it to be competitive in its respected segment. I have full confidence that he's working the ins and outs of this tune, so it runs smooth and perfect. I think his team has proven themselves to be very serious about taking our platform to the next level. We owe it to them to be patient...and the best part is that they own an actual F. Not like these other shops coming out of the woodwork and all of a sudden figuring our cars out.
WORD Thats what I have been saying the whole time I'm glad were on the same page.
Old 01-19-16, 01:15 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

TTFS actually has a very good reputation and following on the ///M forums. He has tuned a lot of cars and makes great power. He may not know this chassis all that well, but I wouldn't write him off as a potential future asset if they too have the ability.
Old 01-19-16, 01:48 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
And he calculates nearly 25% drivetrain loss on RWD? Odd.
I'm guessing he's going by his "low" reading dyno.

With headers and exhaust, on an average DynoJet would yield approximately 400-405whp. If you calculate for approximately 17 percent drivetrain loss that would net around 490HP at the crank.

If you put that car on a average reading DynoJet with his tune, he would probably be making 430WHP+ which does translate to "about" 520HP @ 17 percent drivetrain loss.

Then again this is all in theory.

*Edit* damn, I just realized if those power gains are accurate we're approaching LFA power levels out of our NA V8's. Imagine if we could rev out to 9000 also? Boom, 650HP baby.

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 01-19-16 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-19-16, 02:04 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
TTFS actually has a very good reputation and following on the ///M forums. He has tuned a lot of cars and makes great power. He may not know this chassis all that well, but I wouldn't write him off as a potential future asset if they too have the ability.
Roger that, I know we're all waiting for RR's tune, I'm actually sending Rafi my datalogs and will invest my $ in his tune and most likely his supercharger kit once it drops, but we shouldn't discredit others for finally tuning the ISF. There's a lot of talented tuners out there, the more that gets their hands on the ISF the better I say. Some are more interested in extracting the most power without a large safety net. I'm sure Rafi is great tuner and he seems to be focused more on safe reliable power gains, that's probably why he is taking his time to get it perfect. This is the tune that I want, to be able to flog the car all day and even at the track without fear of having one of my rods see daylight.

I know we've all been promised before and never delivered so we're accustomed to looking at "tunes" with skepticism. It looks like the real deal this time and the ISF is making great power (according to TTFS and Vivid Racing) so let's all rejoice, it's a great time to be an ISF owner.

Can't wait to see what the aftermarket has in store for us in the next year or so.

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 01-19-16 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-19-16, 03:46 PM
giblet
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spot on. Plenty of reputable tuners will be able to make gains with a remap but I would rather use someone who pretty much eats, breathes and sleeps ISF.

The map on my Galant VR4 is one that had months of development before being released and tweaked along the years. It was used reliably on plenty of cars before I had it flashed to mine and it's been faultless. I'm looking for the same for my ISF so I'll happily wait for Rafi his team.
Old 01-19-16, 04:00 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

RR Racing posted this pic on Facebook this evening. We could get some preliminary numbers on the ECU tuning very soon

-Mike

Old 01-19-16, 04:17 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 274 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
RR Racing posted this pic on Facebook this evening. We could get some preliminary numbers on the ECU tuning very soon

-Mike

He's going to post all the dyno information tonight.. Be ready guys

-Josh Lee (joshhleee)
Old 01-19-16, 04:17 PM
SPearson79
Driver School Candidate

I need to go on a diet... My first post ever on Club Lexus is me commenting on my fatness... And my headgames sweatshirt.
Old 01-19-16, 05:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
...*Edit* damn, I just realized if those power gains are accurate we're approaching LFA power levels out of our NA V8's. Imagine if we could rev out to 9000 also? Boom, 650HP baby.
Not even a small chance of this happening with this stroke, these heads, and the cams we have. It's pretty obvious revving past 7k rpm right now is a complete waste of time. There's no power there and torque is dropping like a rock.

I really doubt there will be anything gained above 7k rpm before someone ports the heads with bigger valves and comes up with cams capable of taking advantage of the port work. Seriously.
Old 01-19-16, 05:11 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I would assume the new thread will be in the vendors section? We all have our popcorn ready rafi!
Old 01-19-16, 05:18 PM
SPearson79
Driver School Candidate

If anyone has a popped motor I would love to sit down with Rafi and cut a cylinder head up
Old 01-19-16, 05:24 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Old 01-19-16, 05:39 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
Yep! My sentiments exactly!

Quick Reply: A Glimmer of Hope for Tuning? (Don't Hold Your Breath)