IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

OEM brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-16, 09:02 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jlam86
Should I pull them out, reinstall them and just do as the Web page says?

Thanks
Unless they were installed incorrectly, which I doubt, reinstallation is not necessary. Just follow the instructions I posted. What's important is to build up enough heat to transfer some of the pad material to the rotor.

Lou
Old 01-16-16, 09:06 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The price difference between Stoptech and NS400 is about $300. I think I'll stick with the dust issue for now. LOL
Old 01-16-16, 10:28 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Frankly, I'm sick of the dust also. After washing the car and detailing the wheels, one short trip around the block will have them covered in a light coat of brake dust.

Are there other similar options to the Project Mu's without spending $400? I know the "you drive an expensive sport sedan, don't cheap out on parts" mob will probably lynch me for asking, but is there really THAT MUCH of a difference between say the Raybestos Advanced Tech pads and these Project Mu's besides the $320 JDM Tax difference?

I know the Raybestos Advanced Tech Rotors are made by Brembo are are pretty much identical to the OEM rotors for 1/2 the cost. I'm curious about their line of brake pads also...

Since I don't track my car, I'd be happy with a pad that has 7/10 of the stock performance with 1/2 or less brake dust. Zero noise is a plus.
Old 01-16-16, 01:16 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Frankly, I'm sick of the dust also. After washing the car and detailing the wheels, one short trip around the block will have them covered in a light coat of brake dust.

Are there other similar options to the Project Mu's without spending $400? I know the "you drive an expensive sport sedan, don't cheap out on parts" mob will probably lynch me for asking, but is there really THAT MUCH of a difference between say the Raybestos Advanced Tech pads and these Project Mu's besides the $320 JDM Tax difference?

I know the Raybestos Advanced Tech Rotors are made by Brembo are are pretty much identical to the OEM rotors for 1/2 the cost. I'm curious about their line of brake pads also...

Since I don't track my car, I'd be happy with a pad that has 7/10 of the stock performance with 1/2 or less brake dust. Zero noise is a plus.
its JDM bro.

ive been running autozone ceramics with life time warranty. i think i paid 75 all around. NO dust, initial pedal feel is no where near stock but it feels good . i will be getting the ns400 though with new rotors soon.
Old 01-16-16, 01:55 PM
BuLLdAwG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
its JDM bro.

ive been running autozone ceramics with life time warranty. i think i paid 75 all around. NO dust, initial pedal feel is no where near stock but it feels good . i will be getting the ns400 though with new rotors soon.
I just put on autozone duralast gold with a new oem rotor. It's only been a day buy the dust was less during bedding them than 1 stop sign with oem. $80 in store for front axle. You can get better deals (gift card etc) online, but I wanted them immediately to put with new rims and rotor. The amount of brake dust is ridiculous on oem.
Old 01-16-16, 06:02 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

OEms all the way, just invest in one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QTY-of-2-Meg...332112&vxp=mtr
Old 01-18-16, 11:11 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

i have the stoptechs in and i can vouch that they are dusty. not much better than the oem. I can't stand the squeal coming from them though.

I don't care so much about dust but i want the stopping power without the noise. recommendations would be lovely
There should be absolutely zero noise coming from stoptech streets when they are bedded properly. I agree with the advice given by flowrider and lobuxracer- no need to pull them back out to reinstall, just re-bed them and make sure you do enough cycles to really get some heat in them. I am certain any noise issues will go away after that.

If you don't mind the dust levels of stoptech street or OEM and either of you eventually reach a point where you are looking for an all out performance pad you should consider the new Project Mu HC+800 of your next set.

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
The price difference between Stoptech and NS400 is about $300. I think I'll stick with the dust issue for now. LOL
That's fair. It all comes down to priorities though- if you are happy with the performance/feel of the stoptech pads and are more tolerant of higher dust levels then they are a fantastic option that offers pretty much unrivaled performance at that price range. NS400 and 1521 are fantastic for people who want the absolute lowest dusting performance oriented street pads. If you are willing to sacrifice the low dust but still want a good street pad there are obviously plenty of other good options available that will fit your needs.

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS

Let me preface this by saying I have no direct experience with the raybestos pads so I cannot comment on how they compare. However the only other options in that price range I'm familiar with that can rival the Project Mu NS and Carbotech 1521 in terms of dust output will not come close to the the other performance attributes of those pads and in my personal opinion do not belong on anything more performance oriented than a Camery. Sure, you can successfully use them to drive from point A to point B on the street but do you not fool around with the car from time to time? Isn't the elevated performance/feel/feedback part of the reason you spent the extra money on the F over the standard IS models and don't you want all aspects of the car to accurately represent the potential of the car? Also consider that $300 difference over the cheapest pads you can put on the car amortized over the life of the pads. How many years will that be for you? Is it still worth it in your honest opinion knowing that you get to enjoy the benefits of the better pads every time you drive the car and push the brake pedal (especially at speed)? It may not be and thats fair but please consider it.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 01-21-16 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-18-16, 03:53 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Should I pull them out, reinstall them and just do as the Web page says?

Thanks
No need to pull them out and reinstall, unless you're going to apply anti squeal lube and clean the pads. You can just proceed to bed them in.
Old 01-20-16, 06:48 AM
myspec15
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the differences between the project mu 400 series and the new 800 series thanks
Old 01-20-16, 09:28 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,366 Posts

^^^^It's all spelled out in the thread I have linked below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...y-special.html

The NS400 is a Street Only Pad. The HC+800 is a Street suitable for use on the Track. Speed Freaks uses the term "cross over" which IMO, fits the pad very well.

Lou
Old 01-27-16, 02:56 PM
bentobob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I finally tried out the wearever thermoquiet pads I bought last year out of curiosity. My oem pads were done and thought Id get my own opinion on $40 for all four corners clearance set of break pads. Verdict is that the car will stop, but you will feel like you're in a boat unless you spend a few days adjuting your foot; and I do not feel very comfortable driving aggressively at all. For daily driving you can get use to it, and slowing down will be much smoother. I no longer rattle my passengers when I sneeze during a deceleration.

They were pads bought after I lost my job and I thought my breaks were shot. Luckily I was mistaken at the time.

All in all I don't like them, but if you are broke and need your car to make it somewhere and back they will work.

I will be ordering some different pads soon
Old 01-27-16, 03:29 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kzlflash
No need to pull them out and reinstall, unless you're going to apply anti squeal lube and clean the pads. You can just proceed to bed them in.
They are still squealing at low speeds after I did the bedding procedure from the page. I repeated the cycle twice. Jammed on the brakes from a 100kmph to about 10kmph.

Squeals at low speeds only and more prominent at certain temperatures. But I must say, they pads do feel more grabby now
Old 01-27-16, 03:37 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbotech bobcats.
Old 01-27-16, 07:23 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

They are still squealing at low speeds after I did the bedding procedure from the page. I repeated the cycle twice. Jammed on the brakes from a 100kmph to about 10kmph.

Squeals at low speeds only and more prominent at certain temperatures. But I must say, they pads do feel more grabby now
My oems squeel like no tomorrow granted my drives are only 5 miles each way from a cold start and pretty much bumper to bumper stop and go. Honestly tough, if I press on them hard few times the squeel goes away, but I just be throwing money away doing that.

By stop and go I mean literally 5 mph brake back up to 35 for a sec and back to 5mph they never get to cycle up like this to get hot...

Ive actually replaced the pads and rotors all did the break in and all. just learn to live with it I guess..
Old 01-27-16, 07:39 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
My oems squeel like no tomorrow granted my drives are only 5 miles each way from a cold start and pretty much bumper to bumper stop and go. Honestly tough, if I press on them hard few times the squeel goes away, but I just be throwing money away doing that.

By stop and go I mean literally 5 mph brake back up to 35 for a sec and back to 5mph they never get to cycle up like this to get hot...

Ive actually replaced the pads and rotors all did the break in and all. just learn to live with it I guess..

My OEM pads did the same thing but I was referring to my stop tech pads in the previous post. It was a reply to a post i had made a page a go and some of the guys here were telling me that they weren't bedded in properly so I went on a vigorous bedding in rampage but still don't have much luck.

Quick Reply: OEM brake pads