IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Best way to pack the F ECU for mailing

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-16, 11:46 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Best way to pack the F ECU for mailing

All of us are excited about the RR racing tune. Anytime soon we are mailing our ecu to them. Any inputs about this since i myself doesnt yet taken out the ecu from my F. And which courier do you think guys has the advantage of delivering this very delicate thing. Maybe Rafi can chyme in about this. Thanks...
Old 01-21-16, 11:50 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

lots of bubbles wrapped , and cushions around it inside the box and send it over night FEdex or UPS will do
Old 01-22-16, 02:50 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd try to find a static bag that hard drives are packaged in and bubble wrap it into a cardboard box. Ship it FedEx, but with the storm up there I think we all would experience delivery delays and cars would be down longer than any of us expect.
Old 01-22-16, 05:21 AM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

No idea if this is what RR-Racing has planned, but past vehicles that I have had similar tuning done to them would send you a box with all the packing material in it already with a pre-paid shipping label back to them. Added a couple days to the front end, but I didn't mind at the time because I had to figure out when I could go without the car for a few days anyway.
Old 01-22-16, 07:34 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, a good box with plenty of bubble wrap works fine and a static bag doesn't hurt if you can get one. I've had about 10 ECUs go back and forth to Japan and not a single issue with any of them.
Maybe try to avoid USPS if you can and add insurance.
I've had USPS packages come to the shop that looked like they had been run over and were missing parts with nothing more hen a photocopied note saying something like "Sorry, we deliver thousands of packages a day and do our best but sometimes these things happen."
Old 01-22-16, 07:44 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

Wrote all my info on it and bubble wrapped the heck out of it

Old 01-22-16, 08:58 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good suggestion, absolutely put your info on the ECU. Although, I would suggest writing all the info on a label and sticking it to the ECU. Mods can change, owners can change and if your in warranty it's a dead give away. You can only write on the ECU once or it starts looking a little messy.
Old 01-22-16, 09:02 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCB
Good suggestion, absolutely put your info on the ECU. Although, I would suggest writing all the info on a label and sticking it to the ECU. Mods can change, owners can change and if your in warranty it's a dead give away. You can only write on the ECU once or it starts looking a little messy.
Acetone will take it right off when it comes back to me
Old 01-22-16, 09:35 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Rubbing alcohol will come right off
Old 01-22-16, 09:55 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 82 Posts

I used to chip and sell ECU's for honda's back in college. I've probably shipped and received over 300 ecu's at that time. You can wrap it in bubble wrap, put it in a flat rate priority mail box, insure it and get delivery confirmation (which i think is standard now), or you can get the static bags, tape it closed, then bubblle wrap, or really you can wrap it up with anything... it'll be fine, but its more for the peace of mind. I've received ecu's from customers who didn't wrap or package it up, just threw it in the box and shipped it to me, and their ecu's still work. Just adding my .02
Old 01-22-16, 10:51 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by nickj718
Wrote all my info on it and bubble wrapped the heck out of it

Expect a phone call from me sir! Haha just kidding.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 01-22-16, 11:22 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For peace of mind, it actually would be wise to place the ECU in an Anti-Static ESD(Electrostatic Discharge) bag made for sensitive electronic components. Easy to get at computer store that have motherboards. Pink bubble wrap actually means it is also anti-static(Green is not anti-static). FYI, Just because a component still works after shipping it with no anti-static or ESD doesn't mean it has not been shocked...which in the long run, you cut the life short on the component and you may suffer a catastrophic failure in the near future. Note there are pins sticking out of the ECU, all it takes is one pin and your ECU can be toast. Regular masking tape for example carries a lot of static and can easily shock a component. But what the hell do I know, I've only been working in the electronics field dealing with CPUs for over 20 years now. We talk about this quite a bit and have to regularly take classes on safe chip/electronics shipping and handling.
Old 01-22-16, 11:52 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joshhleee
Expect a phone call from me sir! Haha just kidding.
Cool buy me a beer
Old 01-22-16, 12:29 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

How much should we insure the ECU for?

$1000? $1500?
Old 01-22-16, 12:49 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

^fsport2ur is right, I have been through a lot of esd training at Boeing, to educate others to not go around touching assemblies or hardware cause of esd. Get a esd safe bag and wrap in said esd safe bubble wrapping. I'd like to know how much this tune is and I'll have a few weeks of down time currently..

Quick Reply: Best way to pack the F ECU for mailing