IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Minor Fog light issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 01:07 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Minor Fog light issues

Over a year and a half ago I installed a set of HIDs into my fog light housing. Everything worked well until recently. The driver side fog light does not fire up when the fog light switch is in the on position and you fire up the car. But once the car is on, you can toggle the fog light switch to the off then back on and it works every time. I only get the issue on start up.

This kit does not require a relay kit. I have swapped out the ballast and bulb itself from side to side and it only happens on the driver side. I put a new ballast in and still have the same issue.

I had Lexus do a battery check and an electrical system diagnostic and they said all was good. battery check registered 75% health but noticed the voltage drops to 8.7V on start up and the ballast on the hid does not fire up to above 8.9v.

Input would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-27-16, 03:41 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny.....I have the same exact problem in my car too. Never figured out a solution though.
Old 01-27-16, 04:28 PM
DAng87
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no HID kits that i know of REQUIRE a relay kit..but it always helps to have one. The car needs the electricity to start the car which is why the one light doesnt fire up. The reason that its always the same bulb i dont know, but im guessing maybe it has something to do with the wiring, maybe furthest from the battery? it could be tons of different things, but im sure if you had a relay it would 100% fix your problem. plus they are probably less that $15
Old 01-27-16, 06:56 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Why not just switch back to the oems or even the oem leds.

I had those hids before and they always end up burning out and/or not lighting up on one side, and even flickering when the install was done correctly. Plus your always blinding people anyways.
Old 01-27-16, 07:50 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

I don't have issues with flickering. They are either on or off. I am pretty sure they will be good if I got a relay kit. Just funny how I haven't had issues with this set up for 1.5 years and then all of a sudden, it's quite consistent. I inspected the wires and all look good. connections are all good. the only thing that could change seems to be the life of the battery..

I did a retrofit into my fogs so i am in too far to slap the oem lamps back in. They perform a lot better than the oem ones.
Old 01-27-16, 07:53 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

You said it was hid kit in oem housing, nothing was said about retrofitting which is the proper way to do it...

I thought it was one of those $30 hid kits on ebay, I remember back in the day I slapped on those $30 kit in my halogen low beams as well as fogs. Blinded everyone on the road and ran into issues with flickering and one side not turning on...
Old 01-28-16, 05:52 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Like mentioned above, a relay kit will 100% fix your issues! Alternators get weaker over time as the rotor, stator, and bearing wear in them. It can most definitely still work, and work for 5-15 years while parts wear down unit it finally fails. But 2 solutions....don't have your hids on upon start up, or 2nd solution, a relay kit. I work with and install hids/leds, all kinds of other electric wiring in cars everyday for the past 9 years :-)
Like mentioned before also, an led kit will suffice as well. They are plug and play. Not quite as much output as a quality hid kit, but close, and gives you the color and close to the brightness without a bunch of extra wiring, extra ballast, relay kits, and longer life.
Old 01-28-16, 06:11 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

This is interesting.

I bought my car about a year and a half ago and it already had an HID fog kit installed. The last couple of times I took the car in for service at the dealer they told me one of my fogs was burnt out. I didn't really pay much attention to this because I new from time to time a fog would not come on but most times it was fine. Finally the last time I went in for service they suggested to take out the HID and just put the original halogen fogs back in. I agreed to let them do that since they were basically doing it for free because the car was in for warrant headlamp replacement anyway.

After reading this post I guess I could probably put the HID back in with relays. I like HID fogs. Never had issues with them in my ISF or my GS as far as blinding people and I like the extra brightness I get from them.
Old 01-28-16, 07:11 AM
jlam86
Pole Position

I will give the relay kit a shot when I have some time. I have one sitting in the garage anyways.

Thanks for all the input. When I get around to it, I will report back.
Old 01-28-16, 09:17 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jlam86
I will give the relay kit a shot when I have some time. I have one sitting in the garage anyways.

Thanks for all the input. When I get around to it, I will report back.
Most HID kits require the plugs to be wired reverse polarity, it is also really common for the wiring looms and pins to have connectivity problems depending on the quality of light (although most are the same).

Digger08
Old 01-28-16, 11:01 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

similar issue here except i had my HID kit for 5 years. Not too long ago passenger side fog didn't light up and had to toggle the switch. Now it doesn't work anymore, and I have a relay kit already installed. Any idea what else i should check? light bulb never flickered or changed color. don't mind getting a new but would like to fix it if i could.
Old 01-28-16, 11:44 AM
jlam86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stvincent
similar issue here except i had my HID kit for 5 years. Not too long ago passenger side fog didn't light up and had to toggle the switch. Now it doesn't work anymore, and I have a relay kit already installed. Any idea what else i should check? light bulb never flickered or changed color. don't mind getting a new but would like to fix it if i could.

Have you tried switching the bulbs from side to side. Maybe the ballast or bulb is shot on your passenger side
Old 01-28-16, 11:56 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

If that dont work then lexus already came out with led fogs light for our car
Old 01-28-16, 12:38 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Do LED fogs give more light output than HID bulbs in the fogs?
Old 01-28-16, 01:17 PM
subiepunk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually have the opposite problem. Got the OEM fogs yesterday and found out the previous owner installed aftermarket bulbs. Unfortunately the existing wires didn't plug into OEM. Already ordered the wires and connector from lexus, hoping its an easy fix.

Oem on right