For those who datalog!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-16, 08:05 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default For those who datalog!

Hi Guys,

I did email Rafi this, but understandably he is probably a very busy man these days! Lol.

Can someone point me in the right direction to understanding more about the datatlogging everyone was doing for the ECU remap? Only I would like to get some data for Rafi to compare my UK model to the US model data before he gets my ECU to work on.

I could also do with some help on the most affordable but effective method to do this? Happy for people to PM me links etc if you prefer not to put them up on this thread.

I can't afford to spend a fortune on this, as it would eat into my modification money!

Presumably I need a laptop to record the data etc? Just wondered if there was anything app wise for the iPad that might work?!

Any information or advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Peter
Old 02-01-16, 08:50 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for starting this thread Peter! I'm very curious about this as well!
Old 02-01-16, 09:29 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have use torque pro for android with bluetooth obd2 connector and it works really well. But you have to use techstream because Rafi wants you log the learned ignition and learned AFR parameters which are not available as far as I know on the phone apps.
Old 02-01-16, 05:58 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

PDP, I'm one of Rafi's dataloggers from CA.

Initially I started using a mini VCI cable I purchased on Amazon, it came with a version of Toyota Techstream software on a mini CD. I bought the cable to reprogram my wife's power liftgate on her RX350, but never thought I could datalog with it also.

Everything worked great and it has TONS of PID's to monitor but the only issue was the refresh rate on these "compatible" cables. It was terrible, it's so slow it logs like in 1500rpm increments, If you want to use Techstream to datalog, you really do have to spend $500 on the Mongoose cable.

Alternative method I'm using now is an OBDLink LX Bluetooth adapter along with Dashcommand for Android. OBDlink claims their adapters are 4x faster than the nearest competitor and after using it, I believe it. The refresh is great, very smooth. The adapter is about $60 for the Android version, and about $100 for the iOS version, the software is about $10 and Toyota enhanced PIDs are an extra $10.

Good luck!
Old 02-02-16, 12:32 AM
giblet
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OBDLink looks good especially as you can use your phone or tablet. Unsurprisingly it's more expensive over here. Will be interested to see what you end up going with Peter.
Old 02-02-16, 03:18 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
PDP, I'm one of Rafi's dataloggers from CA.

Initially I started using a mini VCI cable I purchased on Amazon, it came with a version of Toyota Techstream software on a mini CD. I bought the cable to reprogram my wife's power liftgate on her RX350, but never thought I could datalog with it also.

Everything worked great and it has TONS of PID's to monitor but the only issue was the refresh rate on these "compatible" cables. It was terrible, it's so slow it logs like in 1500rpm increments, If you want to use Techstream to datalog, you really do have to spend $500 on the Mongoose cable.

Alternative method I'm using now is an OBDLink LX Bluetooth adapter along with Dashcommand for Android. OBDlink claims their adapters are 4x faster than the nearest competitor and after using it, I believe it. The refresh is great, very smooth. The adapter is about $60 for the Android version, and about $100 for the iOS version, the software is about $10 and Toyota enhanced PIDs are an extra $10.

Good luck!
Thanks for this.

Any chance you could send me some links to where I need to go to order the bits I need? Will try the OBDLink LX Bluetooth with Dashcommand option (not really worth me investing $500/600 on the Mongoose cable).

I found this link which shows the option to add Dashcommand, but where do I find the Toyota enhanced PIDs?

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxbt/

PM me if you prefer mate.

Be useful to know what exactly I would need to do to gather then send the data Rafi needs as well if possible?

Many thanks for your help.
Old 02-02-16, 03:19 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by juanmedina
I have use torque pro for android with bluetooth obd2 connector and it works really well. But you have to use techstream because Rafi wants you log the learned ignition and learned AFR parameters which are not available as far as I know on the phone apps.
Thanks for this mate.
Old 02-02-16, 03:21 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by giblet
The OBDLink looks good especially as you can use your phone or tablet. Unsurprisingly it's more expensive over here. Will be interested to see what you end up going with Peter.
Agreed.

Doesn't seem sensible to throw a bunch of money at the Mongoose cable for what I would be using it for. Different if we all clubbed together and bought one to share, but doubt there would be enough interest over this side of the pond!

Think I will go with the OBDLink option suggested above.

Seems like a good price and compromise if it can produce the data that Rafi needs.

I'll let you know how I get on chap.
Old 02-02-16, 03:23 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Thanks for starting this thread Peter! I'm very curious about this as well!
Your very welcome chap.

Given the understandable increase in people looking to remap their F's, seemed only sensible to find out a bit more about what we can do to help give Rafi the best chance to tailor a remap to suit our needs.
Old 02-02-16, 09:52 AM
smiley424
Driver School Candidate

Below is what Rafi PMed me when I asked him last week. I will also be using the ODBLink as well, glad to hear some folks here have had good experiences with it. The feature that sold me on the ODBLInk was that you could leave it plugged in without worry of draining your battery. Supposedly some of the other cheaper dongles may do that. I am located on Guam and all tuned cars coming in have all had issues with their tune running properly here. Good luck with your datalogging.

"Hi,

You can use any OBDII datalogger that works with your iphone. I sometimes use PLX Kiwi wifi with Dashcommand app for the Iphone.

Best would be Toyota Techstream, if you know someone who works for Toyota.

Rafi"
Old 02-02-16, 01:40 PM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi all,

i can confirm you can buy a "techstream" cable + cd on ebay rather cheaply I think about $35 usd. Has good logging capability. pm me if you need more information.

-ben
Old 02-02-16, 03:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by imp0rted1
Hi all,

i can confirm you can buy a "techstream" cable + cd on ebay rather cheaply I think about $35 usd. Has good logging capability. pm me if you need more information.

-ben
That has not been my experience. The xHorse cable is dead slow and will disconnect for no apparent reason when you really wish it would not.
Old 02-02-16, 04:12 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PDP180180
Thanks for this.

Any chance you could send me some links to where I need to go to order the bits I need? Will try the OBDLink LX Bluetooth with Dashcommand option (not really worth me investing $500/600 on the Mongoose cable).

I found this link which shows the option to add Dashcommand, but where do I find the Toyota enhanced PIDs?

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxbt/

PM me if you prefer mate.

Be useful to know what exactly I would need to do to gather then send the data Rafi needs as well if possible?

Many thanks for your help.
This is the adapter I bought.
Amazon.com: ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Android & Windows: Automotive Amazon.com: ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Android & Windows: Automotive

The Dashcommand is available in the Playstore, after downloading it and setting up an account, it will allow you to purchase additional Toyota enhanced PID's.

As far as what to log, these are the PID's I'm logging.

MAF, RPM, Ignition advance, Speed.

3rd gear pulls from 2500 to fuel cut, level roads.
Old 02-02-16, 11:30 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Perfect!

That's just what I was looking for.

Thanks for the help mate.
Old 02-02-16, 11:33 PM
quarius
Pole Position

I didn't get too bad of a delay in my datalogs, obviously not at great as the Mongoose cable but I was able to get decent results. However I couldn't export the data into CSV in techstream. Sent over logs to Rafi but he couldn't open them (guess he doesn't have TS).

Quick Reply: For those who datalog!