IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

X-Force Exhaust - Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 07:45 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

Thank you for that - I just ordered the $10 harness! Can't believe it does not come as part of the kit.

I know nothing about wiring or car electronics, but I thought there must be power going to the switch that activates the trunk light?
Old 06-06-16, 07:47 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
Should be notably more raspy with headers or gutted cats..

Here are some cold start clips with flap closed and open on my car with stock headers.

As a point of reference, with the flap closed, it sounds exactly like stock maybe very slightly louder.

Flap closed (cold start): Varex exhaust (closed flap) on Lexus ISF - YouTube

Flap open (cold start) Varex exhaust (open flap) on Lexus ISF - YouTube
thanks for the videos. what I did notice, but could use be cuz of the exhaust is that the car starts/sounds a lot different than the stock exhaust.
Old 06-06-16, 07:57 AM
Vervish
Racer

Sounds slightly different - just not louder IMO.

While driving it is super quiet with the flap closed, it sounds stock until about 4,000 RPM - then gets a bit louder after that.
Old 06-06-16, 08:10 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

video on how to wire

The following users liked this post:
footballpl (06-26-21)
Old 06-06-16, 09:15 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Great vids Vervish. Thanks for those.
Old 06-06-16, 03:04 PM
itsmejon
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds slightly different - just not louder IMO.

While driving it is super quiet with the flap closed, it sounds stock until about 4,000 RPM - then gets a bit louder after that.
Can we get some in cabin sound clips and maybe driving around with some spirited sprints in there? Please and thank you
Old 06-09-16, 02:17 PM
Vervish
Racer

Have not had time to take some good clips, but here are a couple from inside the cabin with windows down on a local street..no room for spirited runs.

While filming this I noticed I have a leak at one of the connections on the right side. It is only apparent at WOT when the flap is in the closed position, I assume because the exhaust flow is more restricted and under higher pressure than when the flap is open. IT is also quieter (so it is easier to hear). I need to get that tightened up.

Closed Flap:

Open Flap:
Old 06-09-16, 05:13 PM
itsmejon
Pole Position

Any dyno results yet?
Old 06-09-16, 06:21 PM
Vervish
Racer

I have not dyno'd mine - I suspect it will in the same neighborhood as Joe Z, Borla, etc. piping is same diameter as the others and with the flap open, the muffler is essentially a straight pipe out.
Old 06-09-16, 11:53 PM
fathorsejr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not dyno'd mine - I suspect it will in the same neighborhood as Joe Z, Borla, etc. piping is same diameter as the others and with the flap open, the muffler is essentially a straight pipe out.
That's no where close to straight pipe sound lol that's the reason I bought the varex version to get the "straight pipe" sound.you still can hear the motor over the varex open and my muffler delete is louder than the varex.. I'm gonna weld straight pipe where the resonator is at and hopefully that makes it louder. I'm might sell and get the a ppe exhaust.
Old 06-10-16, 12:37 AM
itsmejon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fathorsejr
That's no where close to straight pipe sound lol that's the reason I bought the varex version to get the "straight pipe" sound.you still can hear the motor over the varex open and my muffler delete is louder than the varex.. I'm gonna weld straight pipe where the resonator is at and hopefully that makes it louder. I'm might sell and get the a ppe exhaust.
Can you Dailey drive the car with it in closed position? Curious how much power loss when it's closed as well. If your selling I may be interested.
Old 06-10-16, 12:57 AM
fathorsejr
Rookie

Originally Posted by itsmejon
Can you Dailey drive the car with it in closed position? Curious how much power loss when it's closed as well. If your selling I may be interested.
double post

Last edited by fathorsejr; 06-10-16 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-10-16, 01:00 AM
fathorsejr
Rookie

Originally Posted by itsmejon
When it's open "straight pipe" it sounds almost stock. When it's closed it sounds like if were to blow hard.but that's me lol
Old 06-10-16, 03:25 AM
Vervish
Racer

Lol!

When I said straight pipe, I meant the restrictive sense, not sound wise. The Varex is definitely not a loud exhaust in open position. Sounds to me like the non varex and borla vids I have heard. It was also quieter at low rpm than the muffler delete I had previously. But for me, the muffler delete was too loud at the low RPM. It's all about prersonal preference.

When closed it feels like it is being restricted..I think it is fine for normal driving, but it will definitely hurt performance in the closed position.
Old 06-10-16, 06:07 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

From everyones reviews it seems like the varex in the open position might be too quiet for me. It almost makes more sense for me to get the non varex version and save some money. I have headers which might make it louder. Anyone with headers running the xforce exhausts?

Quick Reply: X-Force Exhaust - Review