IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

X-Force Exhaust - Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-19, 08:56 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
I did see that on their site, but I understood it as a straight pipe inside the muffler when opened, and when closed redirected through the muffler.

So does anyone have good exhaust video of the car driving past or launching with closed and opened valves? I’ve seen a lot of cold starts and revs from idle, as well as in car driving videos.
I only have this crappy clip with valves open..

The following users liked this post:
LexusfanVA (12-29-19)
Old 12-29-19, 05:53 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
I have had Varex since they were first released a few years ago.

I had on and off problems with the muffler flap on one muffler. I thought the issue I was having was being caused by the push button remote. If you hold the button down too long, you can over-crank the flap and it ends up jamming - I never had an issue with the motor itself. To solve this, I purchased the Varex smartbox module and my mufflers would not work correctly at all. It turns out, because I bought the early release version, it was shipped to me with 2 different model mufflers and that is why they never functioned as they should...

I spoke to X-force and they sent me 2 new varex mufflers. Since install of the new mufflers this summer, they have been 100% trouble free. I programmed the smart box to automatically open and close valves based on RPM (so the valves are always moving) and they have been very reliable so far.
Sounds like youve had a similar path to me with my Xforce Varex setup. Ive had mine for just short of 4 yrs so a decent time. Pipe work, bends, fittment etc has all been hassle free, no leaks etc. I have had issues that ive advised on various forums when people have asked but its been regarding the mufflers, more specifically the motors so 1 or both valves would be stuck open or closed. My local Xforce head office have been great whenever i highlighted the issue. Ive had replacement mufflers, motors etc. I also believe issues existed with the early model motors in that depressing the button too long would over spin the motor and it wouldnt stop.

Once i got the smart box, the potential to over spin has gone given you just press a button. Ive been hassle free for about 6 months now and my car is a daily. Im either opening/closing the mufflers several times a day (5am early starts, late night starts, wifes in the car etc) and it works great. What i really love with my setup is that i can use it via my Vline so i dont need the phone at all. Whilst driving i can open up the Xforce app and control the sound from the OEM screen.
Havent bothered with geo mode or RPM yet. I basically want mine open all the time but just depends on the time. Pity no time mode lol.

The following 3 users liked this post by ISF5L:
LexusfanVA (12-29-19), Toprawman (12-30-19), Vervish (12-29-19)
Old 12-29-19, 03:27 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Do the X-force non varex mufflers give enough clearance to keep the OEM tips?
Old 12-29-19, 06:40 PM
WhyHateTho
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BlckGhst
Do the X-force non varex mufflers give enough clearance to keep the OEM tips?
Can't speak for everyone, but i recently had this exhaust installed along with new OEM quad tips and everything cleared.
Old 12-29-19, 07:18 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

Mine fit without modification - but passenger side muffler outlet is touching the stock tips very slightly. Causes a very subtle rattle on cold starts. I might trim it eventually..
Old 12-30-19, 02:51 AM
BrolyF
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed mine about 2 weeks ago. It has a fairly loud low end deep rumble (77 dB at the highest as recorded on my FFT Wave iPhone app with all windows closed... not sure on accuracy).
I actually love the rumble but I just went to do some shopping with the gf and some other passengers today with about a 15 mile commute and my gf couldn't take it. I had to drive in manually mode and cruise on 6-7th gear the whole way to stay above 2k rpm (rumble happens under load about 1500-2000 rpm).
I asked my little brother who was in the back if he thought it was loud and he said yes but it didn't bother him.
Install was very straight forward, I purchased the bosal gaskets and I was short by 4 nuts and bolts. I used the OEM ones and torqued them all down to 30 ft-lb. O2 sensors were torqued to 32 ft-lb.
The cross bar that hides under the plastic covers DO make contact with the exhaust so I tried to first hammer it down. That sucker is strong!
Well, since we know that metal is more malleable under higher temperature I took a heat gun to it, put both ends on 3 inch blocks and jumped on that bad boy. It created a bend about 2 inches deep which was perfect because it doesn't touch the exhaust at all.
I cut off 2 inches from the tips because initially I cut off 1 inch but the right muffler tip was making contact with the faux tips.
Checked for leaks and tapped everything down to make sure nothing was abnormal.
I absolutely love this exhaust! When you get on the pedal it sounds absolutely amazing.

Old 12-30-19, 08:07 AM
Toprawman
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BrolyF
I installed mine about 2 weeks ago. It has a fairly loud low end deep rumble (77 dB at the highest as recorded on my FFT Wave iPhone app with all windows closed... not sure on accuracy).
I actually love the rumble but I just went to do some shopping with the gf and some other passengers today with about a 15 mile commute and my gf couldn't take it. I had to drive in manually mode and cruise on 6-7th gear the whole way to stay above 2k rpm (rumble happens under load about 1500-2000 rpm).
I asked my little brother who was in the back if he thought it was loud and he said yes but it didn't bother him.
Install was very straight forward, I purchased the bosal gaskets and I was short by 4 nuts and bolts. I used the OEM ones and torqued them all down to 30 ft-lb. O2 sensors were torqued to 32 ft-lb.
The cross bar that hides under the plastic covers DO make contact with the exhaust so I tried to first hammer it down. That sucker is strong!
Well, since we know that metal is more malleable under higher temperature I took a heat gun to it, put both ends on 3 inch blocks and jumped on that bad boy. It created a bend about 2 inches deep which was perfect because it doesn't touch the exhaust at all.
I cut off 2 inches from the tips because initially I cut off 1 inch but the right muffler tip was making contact with the faux tips.
Checked for leaks and tapped everything down to make sure nothing was abnormal.
I absolutely love this exhaust! When you get on the pedal it sounds absolutely amazing.

Did a shop install or did you install it at home? Do you recommend purchasing O2 sensors or any extra bolts before taking it to my exhaust shop. I'm going to be buying mine early next year.
Old 12-30-19, 08:15 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by BrolyF
It has a fairly loud low end deep rumble (77 dB at the highest as recorded on my FFT Wave iPhone app with all windows closed... not sure on accuracy).
That deep ruble or drone(kind of like sitting in a tuba or a subwoofer is exactly what I'd like to avoid. It was mild with my Borla, not bad with Borla with mufflers off, but with added headers both with and without mufflers it is deafening. Anything more than a 15 minute drive requires being in 6-7th to be out of the 1700-2200 range. Do you have headers?
Old 12-30-19, 11:02 AM
BrolyF
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Toprawman
Did a shop install or did you install it at home? Do you recommend purchasing O2 sensors or any extra bolts before taking it to my exhaust shop. I'm going to be buying mine early next year.
I installed it in my garage and the only thing I recommend buying is the Bosal 256-287 exhaust gaskets.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015CKXWC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015CKXWC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Also, I referenced this free online repair manual mainly just to see the layout and get the torque specs for the flange bolts+nuts and the O2 sensors.
https://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/i...nts/page_2601/
My shipment came short of 4 bolts+nuts like I mentioned, but the OEM ones were still in good condition so I used them.
Last thing I bought was the O2 sensor removal tool.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KSZBYMT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KSZBYMT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought a whole kit just in case my dad wants to work on any of our other cars.

That deep ruble or drone(kind of like sitting in a tuba or a subwoofer is exactly what I'd like to avoid. It was mild with my Borla, not bad with Borla with mufflers off, but with added headers both with and without mufflers it is deafening. Anything more than a 15 minute drive requires being in 6-7th to be out of the 1700-2200 range. Do you have headers?
Yes that description of sitting in a tuba seems fitting. My only mods so far are HPS intake tube, aFe pro dry filter and my Xforce catback nonvarex.
The rubble doesn't bother me much, I hear this also with the stock exhaust although much much quieter. But it only happens under load so in a way it forces me to have a lighter foot.
I could see it bothering some though and my girlfriend said it was giving her a headache so I had to keep it under control with manual mode.
But to answer your question, I don't have headers and although I'd like to upgrade to them, it's just not practical for me because I pretty often have passengers and I plan to keep my car for many years to come.
LexusfanVA (12-30-19)
Old 12-30-19, 11:54 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 159 Posts

Thanks all for the help! Placed the order for the Xforce Varex plus the Smart Box and new downstream O2's and the gaskets BrolyF just mentioned. Summit Racing had a $100 off coupon so had to bite..

Now the wait begins..
Vervish (12-30-19)
Old 12-30-19, 12:28 PM
WhyHateTho
Pit Crew

Thanks all for the help! Placed the order for the Xforce Varex plus the Smart Box and new downstream O2's and the gaskets BrolyF just mentioned. Summit Racing had a $100 off coupon so had to bite..

Now the wait begins..
Let us know your thoughts and how the install goes!
Old 12-30-19, 01:32 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the non-Varex, can someone confirm if I can just buy the varex muffler and it'll bolt right on? If so, can you please share the link to the mufflers? Thanks!
Old 12-30-19, 06:52 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by F_Throttle
I have the non-Varex, can someone confirm if I can just buy the varex muffler and it'll bolt right on? If so, can you please share the link to the mufflers? Thanks!
Yes you can upgrade to the Varex muffler its part number vmk10-250, its a universal muffler that they use in the kit for the ISF, you will need to cut about 2-3 inches
off the outlet tip to clear the ISF bumper mounted exhaust tips. They are pricey at $315 per muffler at Summit Racing, its best to buy the Varex kit to start since its only
$270 more vs the non-Varex kit, $1079 vs $809.

Here is a link to the muffler:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/x...-250/overview/
Old 01-03-20, 06:49 AM
WhyHateTho
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by WhyHateTho
Can't speak for everyone, but i recently had this exhaust installed along with new OEM quad tips and everything cleared.
​​​​​​
***Update***

I ended up needing to get Bosal 256-287 manifold gaskets. Exhaust leak. All is well now.
Old 01-04-20, 07:28 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Interesting to hear you had such bad drone. I too am on headers and Borla (with mufflers) and it’s crazy to me how near silent this car can be cruising around town. However, I have Sikky V2’s and wonder if the larger primaries and differing pipe layout has anything to do with the drone compared to PPE’s.

Obviously cold starts are loud as hell but just cruising the car is quite pleasant. Sure wakes up when you mash them throttle, but personally would have liked a way to bypass the muffler at WOT.

Quick Reply: X-Force Exhaust - Review