IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

X-Force Exhaust - Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-21, 11:50 AM
footballpl
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

I got my X-Force Varex installed a couple weekends ago and overall I'm extremely happy with it, can't beat it for the price and makes the car sound like how I think it should. I'm a big fan of being able to close the valves and have near-stock sound (slightly quieter) and lots of sound with the valves open. I'm surprised people complain about it not being loud enough when the valves are open. No it's not as loud as muffler deletes, get muffler deletes if that's what you want. It sounds like a nice straight through muffler, I love it. The sound reminds me of Coyote Mustangs.

I decided to hardwire my switch in one of the blank button spots on the left of the steering wheel, I didn't want to worry about battery or remote/communication issues like some have had. Plus the switch looks better than a remote hanging somewhere. Hardwiring a switch was as easy as hardwiring the remote box.

I removed the stock system and installed the Varex by myself of jack stands, it's completely do-able by yourself. The hardest and most time consuming part was removing the rusted and corroded stock exhaust manifold bolts. Besides that terrible process, it took me around 6 hours to install everything (including wiring the switch). I had the usual issues. Hitting the cross member, resolved by putting 1/2" spacers on the cross member bolts (1/4" was not long enough). The heat shield rubbed, I cut a small section off and bend it a little. The passenger muffler tip was 1/2" too long, I cut it (it's actually the pipe before the muffler that's too long, but cutting the muffler is the easy fix). I also had to trim the passenger stock exhaust outlet/tip because the muffler was rubbing.

All my pipes were built in March or May of this year, mufflers built in September 2020. I bought Fel-Pro gaskets for all joints except exhaust manifold where I used Remflex 8019.

I was able to sell my stock secondary cats for $400.

Cross member hitting.

Heat shield rubbing.

Hardwired switch.

Last edited by footballpl; 07-27-21 at 07:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by footballpl:
AlOtaBblGm (07-29-21), funkifiedG (07-26-21)
Old 07-27-21, 06:54 PM
gixxerjp
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

i too am running the xforce midpipe with varex mufflers and i have been very happy with it. i do have ppe headers and the supercharger kit which goes very well together. i had some tips welded on as opposed to using the stock fake tips. it sounds amazing.

The following users liked this post:
footballpl (07-27-21)
Old 07-27-21, 07:20 PM
footballpl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gixxerjp
i too am running the xforce midpipe with varex mufflers and i have been very happy with it. i do have ppe headers and the supercharger kit which goes very well together. i had some tips welded on as opposed to using the stock fake tips. it sounds amazing.

Those tips look really nice, do you have a link for them?
Old 07-27-21, 08:03 PM
gixxerjp
Driver

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/XFO-TYAW3563

these are the ones i used. my exhaust guy is pretty good he had to cut down the muffler outlet pipe then modify the exhaust pipe a bit to line up the muffler with the exit hole. then he welded he tips on from the inside of the tip so they wouldnt stick out too far. pretty happy with it.

The following users liked this post:
ISFerr (07-29-21)
Old 07-28-21, 11:36 AM
funkifiedG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerjp
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/XFO-TYAW3563

these are the ones i used. my exhaust guy is pretty good he had to cut down the muffler outlet pipe then modify the exhaust pipe a bit to line up the muffler with the exit hole. then he welded he tips on from the inside of the tip so they wouldnt stick out too far. pretty happy with it.
that looks great, i will definitely have to get this done. thanks for the link!
Old 07-28-21, 02:41 PM
Slowlane
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

X-force sounds fantastic it's a petty they can't rectify the fitment issues.
They know about it but choose to do nothing.
Old 07-28-21, 06:58 PM
gixxerjp
Driver

Race car life, cut it and make it fit
The following 2 users liked this post by gixxerjp:
Positron (07-29-21), WhyHateTho (10-15-22)
Old 07-29-21, 10:02 AM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

Does anyone have audio clips of just the varex mufflers behind the secondary cats with headers (or primary cats removed)? I'm sure the car sounds awesome without any cats but I'm not going to go that far. I want to leave the secondary cats in.
Old 07-30-21, 07:59 PM
Eminence
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowlane
X-force sounds fantastic it's a petty they can't rectify the fitment issues.
They know about it but choose to do nothing.
I believe Xforce may have addressed the fitment issue. I installed my Varex setup this morning and other than the passenger side muffler tip being an inch too long everything else fits without interference. The cross bar issue seems to have been fixed as well as the hanger issue.

My production date was 03/2021. After going through many threads and facebook F groups I noticed that many xforce owner who reported no fitment issue has piping with a sandblasted/satin finish over the high polish finish.

I have not driven the car yet but it’s a decent exhaust for what you pay for. The downfall is that xforce/Summit had recently raise the price on the system ($1k non varex and $1600 varex). So the economical option may not be worth it anymore.

Some concerning things that I want to point out also:

1) The angle of the exhaust tips. The passenger side is quite close and tight to the framing of the OEM faux tip which could lead to some hotspot directed to the bumper.

2) Although the welds look fairly decent IMHO they appear to lack solid penetration. I know guys have reported no issues after a couple of years of ownership so that might be good news.

Old 07-30-21, 08:18 PM
footballpl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Eminence
I believe Xforce may have addressed the fitment issue. I installed my Varex setup this morning and other than the passenger side muffler tip being an inch too long everything else fits without interference. The cross bar issue seems to have been fixed as well as the hanger issue.

My production date was 03/2021. After going through many threads and facebook F groups I noticed that many xforce owner who reported no fitment issue has piping with a sandblasted/satin finish over the high polish finish.

I have not driven the car yet but it’s a decent exhaust for what you pay for. The downfall is that xforce/Summit had recently raise the price on the system ($1k non varex and $1600 varex). So the economical option may not be worth it anymore.

1) The angle of the exhaust tips. The passenger side is quite close and tight to the framing of the OEM faux tip which could lead to some hotspot directed to the bumper.

2) Although the welds look fairly decent IMHO they appear to lack solid penetration. I know guys have reported no issues after a couple of years of ownership so that might be good news.
Can you take some pics of your cross member and heat shield? I have the same build dates and had issues with both things, no hanger issues so I'm glad those are fixed. I got my Varex a month ago for $1,040.
Old 07-30-21, 08:33 PM
Slowlane
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Eminence

Glad to hear they've made some changes. I do love the sound of my Varex X-force, especially being able to switch it from loud to quiet, there's about 9 different volume adjustments at a touch of a button.
Old 07-31-21, 08:21 AM
gixxerjp
Driver

I can't say I had fitment issues, except for that I used weld on tips, so I had to cut and slide over the driver muffler to make it line up with the hole to weld on the tips. If I was using the factory tips I would have only cut down the muffler outlet a small amount. I used factory GSF exhaust gaskets for the header to midpipe gasket because it's a perfect fit. I have noticed on some of the ISF's if your rear bumper tabs are broken or your bumper sags, it will cause it to rub on almost any aftermarket mufflers using the factory tips.
Old 07-31-21, 10:40 PM
viprez586
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

I've addressed the tips and varex motors with their r&d department. They seemed receptive & helpful. Even willing to replace a motor I fixed myself due to the pins backing out of the connector.

I believe most installs done where it rubs on the cross braces are due to not installing b the entire system loose and then incrementally tightening sections for adequate clearance & general fitment.

Aside from the passenger tip being too long, my system fits and clears perfectly.
It would have rubbed, had I not done the aforementioned.

Overall still very happy for the price.

As for the welds, they look great, just they have perfect fitment on their cuts and thus use a smaller filler rod when TIG welding. You don't need a massive bead for strength when your fitment is perfect. You can zero fill with TIG in some instances.
Old 08-01-21, 10:37 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by viprez586
I've addressed the tips and varex motors with their r&d department. They seemed receptive & helpful. Even willing to replace a motor I fixed myself due to the pins backing out of the connector.

I believe most installs done where it rubs on the cross braces are due to not installing b the entire system loose and then incrementally tightening sections for adequate clearance & general fitment.

Aside from the passenger tip being too long, my system fits and clears perfectly.

As for the welds, they look great, just they have perfect fitment on their cuts and thus use a smaller filler rod when TIG welding. You don't need a massive bead for strength when your fitment is perfect. You can zero fill with TIG in some instances.
+1 on the welds. At their price, I'd be really surprised if they're using TIG. More than likely they have MIG and some skilled welders. Like most things, especially painting, the real work is in the prep. If your fit is good, the welds are easy to get looking good and working nicely. If it's not, you have to fill the void and bridging gaps is always uglier than a good fit.
Old 08-02-21, 10:44 AM
footballpl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by viprez586

I installed my whole system loosely and had cross member rubbing issues, maybe I did it wrong.

Quick Reply: X-Force Exhaust - Review