IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE Headers Worth The Wait!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 07:40 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I've heard around the internet, I can't say I like the sound of these cars with headers. Too much rasp, not enough burble.
Old 02-11-16, 08:19 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
What kind did you end up ordering? The 1-month wait is the longest wait ever, but well worth it in the end. Absolutely! Im welding in those cats from ppe, should tone down the sound a bit, eliminate the catless odor, and be more eco friendly than running without cats. If I lived in open area I would do it, but as congested as it gets in la, just have to... I'll miss the 10-15hp, but for all the positives I get, it wont be missed that much. Running the cats will help eliminate some of the noise, I have borla exhaust and at wot I sometimes wonder if I actually have an exhaust back there or not. I plan to run the cats with these headers, will probably post a review of before and after since I will be catless for a few days looking for a good exhaust shop. Not sure where it goes, wherever it ends up going Ill post back results
I got the stainless steel version
Old 02-11-16, 09:39 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
From what I've heard around the internet, I can't say I like the sound of these cars with headers. Too much rasp, not enough burble.
That's a good question, I wonder if the guys running the full headers + high flow cats are getting any rasp?

Not a big fan of raspy exhausts, unless it sounded like the car with Novel headers.

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 02-21-16 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-11-16, 10:44 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I've had the PPE header & exhaust w/high flow cat combo. on for a couple of months now, so have some actual experience.

I would say there is a bit of raspiness at wide throttle opening with this system, but it's not too unpleasant from inside the car. More unpleasant in the car is the drone during steady state cruising at around 2k.
Old 02-11-16, 11:08 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

We have some pretty great deals for our Tax Refund Rumble on the PPE headers. PM me for details!
1-855-998-8726
Old 02-11-16, 11:24 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JM Auto Racing
We have some pretty great deals for our Tax Refund Rumble on the PPE headers. PM me for details!
What if u owed Uncle Sam instead🙁 haha
Old 02-11-16, 11:25 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Well you'll always owe Uncle Sam even when your dead haha
1-855-998-8726
Old 02-11-16, 05:23 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tas02
I've had the PPE header & exhaust w/high flow cat combo. on for a couple of months now, so have some actual experience.

I would say there is a bit of raspiness at wide throttle opening with this system, but it's not too unpleasant from inside the car. More unpleasant in the car is the drone during steady state cruising at around 2k.
Tas02, you have the PPE exhaust also? If so do you have the single mode race or the dual mode?
Old 02-11-16, 07:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

With the RR Racing tune I am thinking header CELs will be a thing of the past for the owners who have experienced them .

If I do the tune down the line I will have PPE put headers on my car. The interior buzzing on cold start would be even more significant but I am loving the noise. My buddy, Davis had the JZ/PPE set up and I thought it sounded amazing ! Not sure if it would be too much for daily driving though but I am getting tempted. I will make sure to clarify with Rafi.
Old 02-11-16, 08:36 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

I got the vids ready for the borla with stock header, then it will be combined with ppe header, lastly with the weld-in high flow cats that ppe offers so that people can hear the differences on what the difference setups will sound like.

Needless to say I got my high flow cats just in time and delivered in one day directly from PPE just in time to install it at the same time the headers goes in.

And again, PPE nailed it! gave him a shout through facebooke messenger, hooked me up with a code for their online site, and next day they were here, although these are probably off-the-shelf magnaflow high flow cats, they came with the angled o2 relocators.

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
I think a lot of cars produce some higher rasp with catless setup. The cats will help tone that down some as well as greatly reduce the smell.

Originally Posted by tas02

I've seen some low quality vids and it seems like the rasp toned down, but was still there at some rpms is that true?

Last edited by k20trick; 02-11-16 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-11-16, 10:03 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

To my 57 yo ears, the 2k rpm drone is way worse than any raspiness.

It seems as though the exhaust sounds heard in the youtubes are mostly the high frequency "raspy" noises. And they're usually recorded outside the vehicle. Videos can't properly replicate the low & mid frequencies, no matter how good the speakers & amp. Kinda like viewing an Indy Car, NHRA, or NASCAR event on TV vs. attending a live race.

I listened to as many youtube vids as I could find before choosing. I also got to hear live (but outside the vehicle) an HKS full cat back system on factory manifolds w/cats on an F owned by a Service Advisor @ Lexus of Seattle. His car sounded freakin' amazing (way better than youtube). Went with the PPE exhaust because it was the only true dual system with cats already installed, and I value clean air over ultimate sound quality. And it was easier/quicker doing it all at once (installed at the same time as headers).

l hardly notice any rasp at all inside my F, but I do try to avoid cruising @ 2k rpm. And keep in mind that sound quality is purely subjective, like listening to music.
Old 02-12-16, 06:56 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That HKS system sounds amazing, but is expensive for what it is.
Old 02-12-16, 02:22 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

I don't believe the complete HKS SSM (for "super sound master" lol) is even available new anymore, just the axle back setup. Pricey for sure, but clearly lots of labor involved with 2 mufflers & a helmholz chamber squeezed in on each side. Hits the mark for sound quality at the cost of ultimate power output.

Last edited by tas02; 02-12-16 at 02:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-12-16, 02:30 PM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

The HKS midpipe is disconitnued
1-855-998-8726
Old 02-12-16, 07:15 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by JM Auto Racing
Where were you when I was looking Probably couldve gotten a better deal? When trying to purchase my headers I first reached out to a few of the vendors here and the responses came in 1-2 days or more wayyy too long so I decided to shoot Paul at PPE a message via facebook and he responded within 1 hour.

Quick Reply: PPE Headers Worth The Wait!